Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/14

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

No workout yesterday, it was my rest day. However with only 2 of us showing up for agility class, it was a real workout for me and Kylee both. We did 6 runs.....lots of fun. :)

Lori, I miss my Live workouts! I love the "casualness" of the live workouts. I am trying to figure out how to include some in the Fit Split rotation. Does your son like the rebounder workouts? I know you could not do them at the same time, ( at least not on the same equipment...:)..LOL). That "girl's lunch and shopping" sounds like fun. Great that you all get along so well.

Melanie, that is so sad for that family and nice of you to help them that way. I am pretty sure that Travel Fit is available On Demand. I think all of Cathe's workouts are on there right?

Valerie, I get the organic almond butter at Trader Joe's. Love it! Nothing but almonds.

Carolyn, that Fit Split workout is on my rotation for today....using the Lori premix. :).

Diane Sue, I am doing the first rotation...the one with just Fit Split. I started with Saturday of Week 1 so that my rest day would fall on a Saturday. (so the last day I did Friday was "Thursday of Week 2....confusing I know)...I am not happy that the library did not have the Whole 30 cookbook in actual book form. I would not want to follow a recipe from my Nook or phone. I have to see a regular page in a book. But at least I can see if I would like it and then order it from Amazon.

Judy, hope you are having a good weekend, and staying warm!

A workout, then going to an obedience match at our club with Kylee. I have her entered at the end of the month in a 2 day trial in Erie, Pa....we need the practice!

Take care

Today is family day and I am watching the little ones this evening. Yesterday I made cookies for the children and fooked upma batch of cauliflower rice. I also made the Whole 30 Fast and Easy Broccoli and beef stir fry. I forgot the cabbage when I was at the store. I looked at it and thought I would move on and look at the organic, and ended up with my attention somewhere else. I dumped it on some cauliflower rice with some baby spinach. It was good. Next time I would like to do the cabbage. It is put in the skillet and cooked up with some toasted sesame oil. I froze two of the servings and left one for another
meal. I need to cook up some chicken and chop/ shred for other recipes. The salisbury meatball noodle bowl looks good. It has sweet potato spiralized noodles. I get my Kitchenaid attachment today for noodles and spiralizing. :)

Deb, I bet all of the activity was so much fun for Kylee. I Iam doing the same rotation , but started on the first day after Sunday to make Sunday my rest day. I guess I was confused because you had done weight and cardio day together and I thought that it was just the weights on the plan. I am hoping to find I like Shred better as I do them and maybe figure modifications. It was somewhat better the second time through with lower step.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Wednesday I did a 2 hour indoor ride, using the Seek Out Cycling videos. Thursday I did Ramped Up Upper Body and Jessica Smith Standing Abs Bonus (15 minutes), Friday I did RWH Lift it HiiT it Legs-Weights Only and yesterday was a rest day. Today I will probably do a WS3 or Build & Burn workout. It got very cold again on Friday and we got about 3 inches of snow. It started out as freezing rain but switched to snow once the temps dropped. It looks like we could get more snow tomorrow. This is turning out to be a rough winter. We'll probably stay home today.

Deb-The agility class sounds like a real workout to me! You are doing a great job with the Fit Split rotation!

Diane Sue-The Whole 30 recipes sound good. I think Chris would like the broccoli and beef stir fry and the salisbury meatball noodle bowl.

Lori-the accordian looks like a tough instrument to play. That's really great that you don't need to use your dvd player anymore. I know eventually I will have to adjust to streaming and downloads only as DVDs start to go away but I'm not quite ready yet. We still have 3 DVD players in use and a spare in case one stops working :)

Melanie-I'm sorry about your neighbor's family. That is very sad. The last time I had to do a hotel room workout, Travel Fit was perfect! I just took one band, the green one, and a yoga mat and it was all I needed.

Valerie-I don't think we have Adams peanut butter here. I'll have to look the next time I go to Costco. I also prefer real peanut butter, that doesn't have any sugar or other oils added.

Carolyn-We have a Fresh Thyme market here where you can grind your own peanut butter. I haven't tried that yet, but I should. We have several Whole Foods in the Detroit metro area, but none that are close enough to shop at regularly.

Good Morning,
Today is my rest day. It’s cold here and we are having a leisurely day. Deb, I am doing the basic Fit Split rotation too. I just switched the Sunday workout to Friday because I wanted Sunday as a rest day. When I switch days I try to make sure that I don’t have back to back strength workouts.

Diane Sue, I ordered the Kitchenaid spiralizer attachment this morning. As I mentioned yesterday, I have been considering it for a while. I made spiralized sweet potatoes and roasted them for 15 minutes. They were delicious and my husband really liked them. I was able to do it with my current spiralizer, but it was a little difficult. I decided to order the attachment after that because I want to do other hard vegetables like winter squash.

Valerie, I don’t consider the spiralized vegetables as a replacement for pasta although I sometimes eat them with pasta sauce. I prefer zucchini noodles tossed with a tahini and lemon dressing/sauce which is another recipe from the NGs. I am able to roast other vegetables very quickly to use as a side dish or in my salads. With pasta sauces I might use a combination of regular pasta and spiralized vegetables.

Judy, you are certainly having a period of rough weather in your area. Good job with the workouts. The first time I bought the fresh almond butter I was amazed at the difference. I love it and I have to be careful not to eat too much.

Lori, a girls only day sounds like a lot of fun. I am definitely not ready to give up my dvd player for digital only. Maybe some day.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

There are so many good threads on this forum I'm looking for a place to land and stay grounded. I think this thread might be the best place for me to land. I turned 55 in July and I really feel great. I just need to make minor accommodations for my knees, hips and should which feel great if I'm not too rough on them. I avoid most plyo moves choosing to keep one foot on the ground. I do jumping jacks and jump squats, but not some of the more explosive moves. I don't need to go that hard to get my heart rate up. I always workout with a Polar Heart Rate monitor, and I let it tell me how hard to push.

I signed up for the Cathe OnDemand and Cathe Live during the Black Friday sale after doing mostly Ripped with HIIT workouts in 2017. This year I want to be more focused and deliberate with my fitness goals by following Cathe's superscribed rotations. I fell off the wagon completely around Thanksgiving and I have gotten off to a slow start this year for various reasons.

That brings me here. I almost have too much of a good thing by having access to all of Cathe's DVD and Live workouts, so I've been sort of all over the place and no where at the same time with my workouts! LOL

While I'm tempted to start with the Fit Split workout, I think it may be better for me to start with the All Ice Rotation just to get my engines revving again, and to avoid over doing it. I did that last year and ended up with the flu. I need a plan that I can get up in the morning and do consistently, workouts that are between 45 mins to 1 hour long. I love doing cardio and I have to force myself to lift weights, I want to get to a point where I'm lifting at least 3 days per week. I work full time, my son is in college and we carpool to work and school, so I'm out of the house for 10 hours per day on average.

That's where I am, any suggestions are welcomed. I need to just get moving!

ETA:
I'm 5' 11" - 176 lbs, size 10 - 12 which looks good on my larger frame. I look gaunt if I get too low in weight. I would like to add muscle and drop fat, change my body composition more so than to just lose weight. That being said, my idea weight is between 166 - 169 lbs. I look great in my clothes, I would like to look better when I'm not in my clothes if that makes sense? My trouble areas are hips and thighs, I have a small waist. I need to add muscle to my entire upper body.

I'll write later about my meal prep issues. :) Thanks for letting me share!

Last edited:
Good afternoon ladies,

This morning was a couple of bellicon bounces. The first was a total body and the 2nd was a dance. Total time was 70 mins / 553 cal. I decided to wait on doing the most recent live lower body workout. Tomorrow I am starting the Fit Split / Xtrain rotation. Going to sub in Thursdays Live when it calls for xtrain legs. This looks like a challenging rotation. I loved Xtrain so think I will enjoy this.

Our girls day was a lot of fun untill I hit a pot hole coming home and ended up with a flat tire. Fortunately, I was only 10 mins from home so my son came and saved the day. I was still with his GF and her mother and we laughed that he came to help his stranded ladies. I have the donut on it now and my husband will take it to be repaired tomorrow. We have AAA but my son was a lot quicker.

Deb...I bet that was a workout at the agility class! I get what you mean about missing Live. I love when I do them. When I do this rotation going to try and fit in my other bounce and a live workout here and there. I have two rebounders...a bellicon a jumpsport so we could do a bounce workout at the same time. He has not bounced in a while. Although I have a core workout on the rebounder he does frequently. I have had my jumpsport since october 2016 and I am still loving rebounding as much as I did when I started. This was a great purchase for me.

Judy...wow congrats on that ride. I would keel over if I had to spin for 2 hours! Great job! When we buy a dvd or blue ray we immediately convert to mp4. I love old tv series and right now I am watching Lost in Space and loving it. I bought the dvds on ebay and converted immediatley and have them saved by season on my hard drive connected to the tv. When I watch I have a couple of clicks with remote and never have to get up to change the dvd. I also have Get Smart I will be converting soon. Lol!

Melanie...yes travel fit is a great hotel workout. She has a live band workout that is great. I like this better than travel fit. Only because I have done travel fit so many times it is nice to have a fresher travel workout.

Carolyn...the sweet potatoes sound awesome. I have a spiralizer and use it every now and then. I have a kitchen aid mixer I bought years ago and never use! I am so bad when it comes to cooking. Good thing I work for a restaurant company or we would never eat!

Diane Sue...enjoy your rest day and family!

Welcome Atlantajj! I think ICE is a great place to start. I had to force my self to lift weights and pretty much never did weights until just a few years ago. Thru the years I would buy everything Cathe put out on dvd thinking some day I will do the weight workouts. In 2009 I did P90x with my son never thinking I would enjoy it and I fell in love with weights and have been using them ever since. I am 56 and love working out and do not plan to stop anytime soon. I may need to modify a workout here and there though! I love how this group motivates me and knowing I am going to post my workout keeps me accountable. :) Most of the time I split my workouts. 30 to 40 mins in the morning and then something in the evening when I am home from work. I like working out in the morning because when I get home and do not feel like a workout it is good to know I got something in early. I hear you on being away all day. I leave my house at 7:40am and usually get home at 6pm. A long day.

Hi to Valerie!

We did wood chopping yesterday, lots of ax swinging. it is hard work! and then stacking all the chunks. about 90 minutes. DH did it longer than I did. I got sore last time I did this a few weeks ago, but don't think I will this time. I don't have as much upper body strength as DH , so I throw my entire body into this and usually get sore. it is probably a little like swinging a kettle ball. unless a tree blows down, we are done with wood for the year.
this morning we did a mt bike for 2 hrs 10 min. It is lovely outside, sunny and warm. we almost did a road ride instead but it was still cold when we wanted to go,,, so mt biked the tree farm instead. we were there early when it was quiet, but when we finished there were all kinds of cars there. a gorgeous warm sunny day. might reach 60.
Judy again you amaze me. riding outside for 2+ plus hours is easy for me, but 2 hrs on the spin bike would kill me. I think Adams is a northwest brand. some companies use different names for their products for each coast but I don't think Adams is national. Costco had a Kirkland brand PB for a while, but not sure that is still around. Adams tasted better anyway. I don't like the stirring process but it is so much tastier than, for example, Skippy.

Bummer on the tire Lori! I hate changing tires on cars or bikes. I can do it but I hate every second and I always scrape my hands to bits.

well... that's why I haven't given up on the spiralizer... the things I tried were in a sauce and I didn't like the texture of the end product. roasted might be entirely different. I love the look of spiralized vegies, but so far not the texture. this summer our zucchini crop mostly failed so the things I'd planned on trying didn't happen. I didn't buy zucchini because I expected we'd have too many, like usual, but for some reason they didn't do well. the plants looked fine but didn't produce much.

Welcome Atlanta JJ. what do you want us to call you? I am working my way thu ICE now. I have done metabolic total body a lot but not the other ones that used a step. I'm trying to get past that hurdle.

Last edited:
I got my new Kitchenaid attachment and registered it. There is a 90 Day PDF recipe link that I thought I would share http://www.kitchenaid.com/pdf/quickstart/KSM1APC/KSM1APC_Recipes.pdf
I have grandchildren here today.

Judy, we have had some cold weather. Today it got up to fifty but so windy. My 3 year old grandson dumped a chunk of ice out of his dogs water bowl and was trying to stand on it. I was afraid he was going to slip and hit the brick wall. Good workout choices. We have dvd players in almost every room in the house except the kitchen and baths. One is in the sun room but is built into the television.

Carolyn, I think I am going to like this Kitchenaid attachment. I have used spiralized for pasta before. I am glad they have come up with more ideas other than zucchini though. Before they came up with spiralized veggies I used beds of spinach for a lot of things that required pasta or rice with a topping. I used to go to Lots of Noodles and get a shrimp alfredo on spinach. It was a favorite dish of mine.

Lori, I like X Train and think that would be a good rotation. I will think about that one in the future. Sorry about the tire. I remember all of those lost in space shows. I used to watch them all of the time. It was fun watching the later movie too.

Atlanta JJ welcome. I think diet is one of the best ways to lower body fat. I used to love lots of cardio, but have learned it is not needed for me to do hours of it. I get great results with the weight training. Ice is a great workout to start the year with.

Lori-Thanks! I'm sorry about your tire. The Fit Split/XTrain Rotation sounds great!

Valerie-Wood chopping sounds like a great workout! That's great that you got a long mountain bike ride!

Diane Sue-I've been looking at a spiralizer by OXO. I'm not sure how much I would use it so I'm hesitant to purchase it yet.

Atlanta JJ-Welcome! I am 55 and have been working out with Cathe since 2013. Before that I spent most of my time running and biking. The past few years I've been focusing on getting stronger and trying to build muscle. I love ICE and I think the ICE Rotation is a great place to start.

Judy

Atlanta JJ welcome to the group. You will find this to be a very supportive and motivating group. ICE is a great place to start. I am also trying to build muscle, get stronger, and stay healthy. I have been working on weight loss for the past two years. Now that I have reached my goal I want to maintain this weight.

Did anyone read Jengolf’s post in open discussion forum? She was responding to a question about a broken foot. She has been through so much and I am amazed at what she does with her workouts.

Diane Sue, thanks for the link. I am going to save that document. I was going to make a frittata with the sweet potatoes similar to one of the recipes in the booklet, but I decided to just cook eggs separately. I crumbled a piece of bacon on top of the sweet potatoes and we added leftover kale. It made a wonderful and filling breakfast. My husband skipped his morning snack and didn’t want lunch until after 1:00. I have used spiralized zucchini (leftovers) in my frittata in the past.

Carolyn-Thanks for mentioning Jengolf's post. I just read the thread and I agree. She is amazing! I didn't realize what all she had been through, but I read her blog all the time and am so impressed with how much she works out. Now I'm even more impressed!

Good morning,

Yesterday I did FS Low Impact Cardio + Metabolic Conditioning. The match was fun yesterday, we did 2 runs and would have qualified in both (if it was a real trial). :). Let's hope she is as good when we are at the real trial 2 weeks from now.

Diane Sue, you are such a great grandmother! :). I think the rotation switches up the workouts a bit...some with the weights and some not. The other day I intentionally left off the Shred Cardio workout, and only did the weight one that is with it...Thanks for the link! I saved it to review. I don't have a spiralizer, but maybe this will make me get one. When you say you got a Kitchen Aid attachment, is it for a standing mixer?

Judy, 2 hours of spinning is awesome. It was 60 here on Friday and back into single digits on Saturday. Crazy!

Carolyn, I was concerned about switching rest days on the rotation too, so I just picked the first rest day, made that be Saturday ( the rest day I use) and counted back to start the rotation. That made it so that it would not have 2 weight days in a row etc. Hope this makes sense...LOL...

Atlantajj, Welcome! You will see that most of us here are accepting of the fact that we have to modify some of the moves that Cathe ( or other instructors) use and it is fine with us...:). Very important to retain the physical abilities we have and not to get injured. ICE is a great series to start back with. I am just the opposite, I love weight training and only do cardio because of the physical benefits.

Lori, that is too bad about the flat tire, but great that your son was so close and able to get there to assist. Your technology ability amazes me!

Valerie, Yes that wood chopping is considered a Total Body workout for sure! Cathe even has those wood chops in a lot of her workouts...LOL :).

Take care,

This morning’s workout was Fit Split Mixed Impact Cardio and Pull Day for 1 hour and 11 minutes. I burned 347 calories with an average heart rate of 113 and maximum heart rate 150.

Judy, the brand of plastic spiralizer that I have is Paderno. I have used it for several years and it works fine for soft vegetables and fruits.

Hello to everyone.

Deb, I went back this morning and checked to see if the rotation changed for the second week. I see that it does change. I guess I should have known because I remember seeing an optional Sheed twice day. I saw the workout manager finally has the icons for the workouts on my calender. Now it looks like I did something. :) I hope Kylee does as well for you on the real trial. Thats great she is having fun with it. Yes, my kitchenaid is a stand mixer. They have a port on them for attachments. You can get a lot of acessories for them. My grandmother used to buy wheat and grind it to make bread in hers. Itvwas some of the best whole wheat bread I ever ate.

Yesterday I watched a youtube video of someone using the different blades and peeling attachments for the kitchenaid spiralizer. At first I couldnt figure out the peeling one. Iy was helpful also in trimming the fruit or veggie a bit to get it to work well as Inwatched the woman. It is nice not to have to shove the veggies and fruit through manually.

Today I did Lori's version of Fit Split Low Impact cardio and Metabolic conditioning, (took me longer because I wrote weights) 47 minutes, 259 calories, heart rate 109 average, 153 max. I then did Suzanne Bowen's Barre Amped Bounce cardio, total body, stretch segments, 32 minutes, 194 calories, heart rate average 122/ max 169 ( I added tuck jumps and lots of jacks also followed Jess) Total time was 1hr 19 minutes, calories burned 453 calories. I swear I saw the icons on the workout manger calendar yesterday and they are not there today. Maybe I dreamed it or something.

Melanie, you posted on last weeks thread. That is great that you already got in a workout after the travel. That is great that you enjoyed travel fit :)

Would anyone have a suggestion as to why my windows 8 laptop shows the icons in the workout manager, but the one I enter them in is a windows 7 upstairs and they do not show up? That is why I saw them and then they were not there. I pushed the reload button but that didn't bring it up. Also, I keep finding it confusing when I get the workout sheets out for weights and the first pages chapter numbers start in the middle of the dvd. I went back today looking for the worksheet that starts with chapter 1 or 2 and then remembered it does not work that way. I even went so far as to print up the worksheet second time after starting the workout.

That KA attachment is fabulous looking! I started listening to the video but the lady on it has a most annoying speech pattern. If I had KA I'd want that. . looks like it does much of what a food processor does.

we did a ride this morning 15 miles. 1 hr 20 min. it was pretty cold to start, about 37. warmed up some by the finish. still, not 60 like yesterday.
I still have a computer using win 7 and it is giving me problems and won't upgrade anymore. I think I will move to win 10 even though it will cost a few $$. not free anymore but at the time it was free we could not do the switch. Diane sue sometimes things don't work on win 7 anymore, maybe that is part of the problem. I keep getting lock ups and security alerts pop up for no reason, for just the opening screen on IE. I am not very technical when it comes to computers. :(

Last edited:
Valerie, I have pretty much shifted to Google because so many things are not working anymore with IE. I don't know why it is, but even some of my apps no longer use IE. The windows 7 is the one that is working properly. It is the 8 that is not.

Today I made another Fast and Easy recipe is an Indian recipe called Skillet Butter Chicken. I thought I should eat something besides beef today. It was really good. I think the next dish I eat I will used a more cauliflower to the mix with riced sweet potato. They used packaged mix. I used some already frozen riced sweet potato along with some of my own cauliflower rice. It uses clarified butter or ghee which I used Purity Farms ghee for. I like the looks of the sheet pan dinners in the book. There are quite a few pork recipes along with ground pork. I have found it better to grind lean pork roast of pork tenderloin in my food processor because most of what I see in stores has so much fat in it.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Mixed Impact Cardio. 28 minutes, 157 calories. I did not do the Bonus Ab workout which was called for in the rotation. Just could not make myself do it. I visited my friend yesterday, she seems a lot better. Her last treatment in this series is today.

Diane Sue, thanks for the info on the mixer and the link. I know I would not use something like that to justify the purchase. I can see why you would use that if you want to spiralize the harder type vegetables like sweet potatoes. Maybe check the cache, and temporary files on the laptop....make sure all is clear then restart? You can also try using a different browser. That Butter Chicken dish sounds good. I love Indian food.

Melanie, glad you liked Travel Fit. We should have mentioned that the thread is started new every Sunday.

Valerie, were you thinking of putting WIN 10 on the computer that has Win 7? It may be too old to take Win 10....may be better off buying a new one that comes with Win 10. I know our laptop that has Win 7 could never handle Win 10.

Hi to Carolyn, Lori & Judy,

A workout and class this morning....

Take care,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.