Lifting like girls

Hi friends! I'm still here, I promise. Just lots of LIFE going on right now, very busy!

Tom, like Karen said, just keep at it. Never give up, never surrender! Give it what you've got! If you rest, you rust. ....should I keep going with the motivational quotes? :)

Karen, guess there's something to be said for the power of nostalgia. Your DH probably feels like a teenager driving Jeeps! I've got an emotional attachment to Coca Cola because it reminds me of my Grandmother. Is it really better than Pepsi? I don't know. I don't even drink soda often, but given the choice it's gotta be Coke because. ..Grandma! Sounds like you are crushing those workouts. There are sooooo many Cathe Lives now. No way to get bored. Any plans to head to PR for a visit? Do they have Starbucks there???? Sooooo excited for the Teeter Inversion table. It's currently in transit. I will definitely report back on how I like it.

It's been a weird workout week. I did PHA 3 Live on Monday, PHA 1 Live on Tuesday, and KCM Shape Up today. Not sure how balanced but I have been flying wild this week! Take care everyone!

Keep up the quotes Lisa, motivation with humor!! Today was make up leg day, 3x8 db squats 3x20 kb swings 3x12 gob squats 3x12 sumo squats and 3x8 rev lunges. For calves 3x25 standing heavy db calf raises and 3x20 unweighted single standing calf raises. I finished with 2x25 cable crunches. Today we are off to KC for DW ophthalmologist appointment and she is getting a massage (me want but cannot have lol). Tomorrow I am back to KC for meetings, but I am going to try to get medium bench day in before I leave which means getting up at ...gulp...4:30!! Hopefully I can get some iron work in at the meeting...have a great Thursday friends!

Tom, with all that iron you lift and all those teeth you pull out, you deserve a massage too! My friends, I think I told you that I found a new massage therapist...life changing! I'm going to try for once every 3 or 4 weeks. I've been doing "lawyer stuff" on the side, just a few hours here and there, which totally justifies my coffee addiction and my massage appts! Anyway, That took an unintended turn to being all about me...sorry...Tom, I hope you are snoozing tight right now cuz you've got an early wake up call!!!

Karen, love KCM. She has a new subscription service with new videos from her basement. Basically what she did on YouTube Coffey Fit Raw, but you have to pay. I am not going to lie. I will probably subscribe one of these days. I just really try to follow trainers like Kelly and Cathe who are smart about what they do so it can be done for years and years. Train smarter, not harder, right????

Today was S&S Total Body Giant Sets. Loved it. Tomorrow should be the new Live step routine. :)

Wow, early medium day. Today on bench it called for 5-7 sets at 3-5 reps 80% 1rm. I used 200 x3x3x3x3x5x4x4. Accessories were 4x6 seated BB militaries, 4x7 heavy pushdowns, 4x7 heavy 1 arm cable pulls and 3x7 alt db curls, drop 10# and 1x10. 4 0clock is FRIGGIN EARLY!!! LIsa, good to see ya "lawyerin" again! Karen, short and sweet often fits the bill! Enjoy the weekend ladies!

Tom, you just crack me up! Get up early to work out, and gitter done. Most younger guys could never get up that early. (Unless it was football practice, of course) football practice, my boys were right on it. Anyway, nice work !
Lisa, I’m so envious! I hated leaving Seattle, just for the fact I had a great massage therapist. I need to look for one here. (We’ve only been here 10 years) I’m so in knots, DH calls me Twisted Sista.
No workout yet, slept until 6. Couldn’t wait to break my fast. This one was a bear. Some are easy, this one was difficult. Didn’t help that a co-worker brought donuts and fabulous French croissants to work! Damn these people! Was planning on something lower body, but I’m still sore from Cathe’s Live glute workout.
No news from Puerto Rico. I’m sure he’s very busy! Have a great Friday, friends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had some fun this morning, 3 sets light bench, 3 sets pull ups, 3 sets pushdowns, 5 sets curls, 2 sets inclined sit ups, 1 set leg ext and 1 set kb swings...just some kick around fun in a different gym....of to flex my gray matter...uh oh!!!

Hats off to Tom the early bird! You know you've got an iron addiction when you don't even wait for the rooster to start the day! And hey, your brains are stronger when your biceps are stronger...just sayin'!

Karen, I am pretty sure we're going to move soon because that's what happens once I've lined up a local hait stylist, massage therapist, and dentist (I'd go see Tom, but orange is NOT my new black). If you ever pass through here to see your kids, you should stop by my massage therapist. It would be worth it! Can you drink tea or unsweetened coffee during the fast? What is it about croissants? ?? Oh yeah, the butter!!! Hope you are getting adjusted to the PR situation.

Karen, I think you would like my workout from today, a very old Live,Metabolic Conditioning from March 2015. SO sweaty, but only 42 mins. Yesterday was the newest Live Step. Oh how I loved it!

Have a great weekend! Karen, I think it's bday season in your family? My kids' bday season starts soon. Hope you all live it up ! I can't believe my baby boy will be 1 year old soon! Boo hoo hoo! ;)

Yes it is birthday season...3rd, 6th, 8th and 9th. I just realized, my kids birthdays are the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th. Not in that order, but there ya go. We usually move after I have all the bases covered with people I love. All I need is the massage therapist. I may hold off, and just make an appt with the massage school. Probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all, heavy day Monday here...5 singles at 90% and I have to admit I get a little "pschyed out". I used 230 for 3 of the sets and I went short on 2 of them, just didn't trust myself and left it just short of the block. The one full one (with a block though) was fine...just went "mental"! I dropped to 225 for the last 2 and then did 205 3 sets of 3 and 185 x7x6x5 and added a final finisher 165x9. Accessories were 4x7 wide grip chins, seated BB militaries x7x7x6x5 (I just cannot get 115 up 4x7 after heavy benches!), 4x7 heavy pushdowns and 4x7 heavy ez bar curls. This was one of those "fight thru it" days, but I did "get er done"! I added a set of side lat/ front raises and a set of rear delt flys because I feel they have been slighted a little. Today was 35 total sets counting bench warm ups and it never goes fast with that many sets. This program has been really good, forcing me to add weight and although I had "mental failings", my ability to push more weight has really improved! It would have been interesting if I had a spotter and maybe reduced some of the "brain f@rt$"!! Still have to finish out the week and not real sure whether to go on or maybe switch the program to orient it toward strict press...hmmmm.... we will see next week!
Karen, the "twisted sista" thing maybe me audibly laugh!! Lisa, loved the line....."only 42 munutes"! Most people would NEVER "sweat it up" for 42 minutes...I guess Commandos ROCK!!!

Tom, it's okay. You can type out "farts" in our check-in. Karen has raised teenage boys, and my kids proudly report to me every time they "stinker." LOL! We're so classy here! Glad you got the job done today.

Karen, how are you? I think about you a lot. I hope you're not feeling lonely. I know you've got family there and, no doubt, loads of friends. Just thinking about you, that's all. Hope that doesn't overstep my bounds as a Forum Friend. :)

Today was Sweat Blast Live. Tom, this one was "only" 44 minutes! Think I'm coming down with a cold, so we shall see what this week ends up looking like workout wise. Viral invasions always mess with the program!!!

Leg day and the struggle is REAL...but won a split decision. 3 sets of db squats, sumo squats and db standing calf raises. 2 sets of gob squats, kb swings and single calf raises. It was just a day when you did what you felt like you could do..no guilt because I feel worked, but not earth shattering either...guess something is always better than nothing! I am working 3 days this week and several other weeks to try to catch up with the incoming flood of compromised teeth....always sounds better when it is "down the road" and not so good when time arrives!
Lisa, hope the "viral invasion" is kept at bay for ALL of you...Karen, hope all is well for you and yours!

Thanks guys! I appreciate your thoughts. Things are good here, just a little hectic. Haven't heard but one sentence from DH since he left. "It's been b*lls to the wall since I got here" So I guess everything is good. Will post this afternoon. I'm doing an about face in my workout program. (what else is new?) Let's talk later!

Hey guys! I'm adding four days of heavy lifting to my week. Yesterday was chest and triceps. Today was legs and butt. Thursday is back and shoulders. Friday is some different lower body stuff. The other two or three days will be some sort of metabolic, cardio and stretching. I bought a stretching dvd at Mary's sale. It's by the same people that do the shoulder strength dvd that I bought a while back. Fit & Bendy. This is called Get Bent Circus style flexibility training. I need to stretch more. Actually a lot more. I will never have circus style flexibility, but I need to bend a little more, so I don't break. I just finished about 20 minutes of it, thought I was going to snap in half. Good grief, my flexibility is pathetic.

Birthday season is over, they are all a year older, but they will always be kids to me. It was a 40th for one of them, and he thinks he is needing a "Little Rascal." Don't think so. I remember my 40th, wasn't that long ago.

There is a coffee company here in SLC, "Black Rifle Coffee." They have good coffee, but its online ordering only, which is a bummer. I have to pay for shipping and tax, but I sent DH a care package. I sent it before he left, and he still hasn't received it. It must be on a barge that is going by way of Cape Horn. Anyway, this company is owned by a veteran. Another reason my DH likes it. I would recommend the coffee if you like it strong. Just don't read the reviews. Most of them are OK, but some of them go off in the weeds. Now, I know you are both like me, and will have to check out the reviews. That's ok, you were warned.

That's about it for me. Thanks for the caring and concern, I'm OK, I've done this before. He did leave in a hurry this time, so I'm trying to sew up loose ends. But it's all good.
Have a great evening Tom and Lisa, and we will talk later.

Last edited:
Tom, I personally like the workouts that give you a challenge but don't wipe you out. And getting that on a leg day? Even better! Glad you showed up for it! I'd feel bad for your loooong 3 day workweek but then again, I think it keeps you out of trouble!!!

Oh my, Karen! How does a young lady like you have a 40 year old? I had no idea that you were a teen mom! :) What does it mean that he wants a Little Rascal? I love seedy product reviews, lol. Like an online soap opera! Does Black Rifle have an SLC brick and mortar store too? So lovely of you to send your DH a care package, but yeah, WTH is it???? When my DH was living overseas for his unfortunate 2 year religious assignment, I would send him care packages and it took forever , like 6 weeks sometimes, to arrive. My favorite was when they came opened and sifted through. Grrrrr. Your DH must be working non-stop. Probably no time to sleep! Well, we're here for you, to keep you company and to cheer you on. Your new program sounds stellar! Lol on the stretching. My DH went to my newfound massage therapist and he said "ouch. Good ouch, but ouch" and "omg I am so inflexible." If you like the DVD, I need to get it for him! Are you excited for ICE 2, speaking of DVDs? I am. I enjoy ICE, the original....

On that note, since I am definitely getting sick, I opted for ICE leg blast today. I always go heavier than Cathe in ICE workouts (obviously she's going lighter than her normal), and it really ups the intensity.

Have either of you watched the new Roseanne on TV? I never watched the original but I am enjoying the show. I don't think you need to agree with her point of view to enjoy the show. Not sure why the controversy exists. I feel like there is a tendency to take things WAY too seriously. Rant over, lol.

Enough blabbing for the night! Back again in a day or so.

Karen, love that you are "goin heavy"! I think those of us that are,,,shall we say...MATURE, need the heavy stuff. I don't know of any woman that can do what you do at your age (39)!! Go get some!! Lisa, really sorry the bug is getting you, it is tough enough in your own life but with little ones???UGH!
Today was light day and on bench it calls for 4 sets of 5-7 at 60-65% 1rm. I decided to do 70% and did 4x7 at 180. Accessories calls for 3 sets of 8-10 so I did 3x10 of 1 arm cable pulls, skullcrushers (50s), db curls (dropped to 40s and did the first 2 sets simultaneously..definitely harder!) and added 1x10 conc curls (40) and 3x10 seated db press (50s). I'm tired no matter what I do and while it is "light day" for bench, not so much for accessories!! Off to work and provide "cold steel and sunshine" for dental ills! Have a great "hump day" fellow iron workers!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.