Lifting like girls

I sometimes sacrifice logical thought for unbridled zeal and yesterday was one of those days. I have been doing pushups at work every other day and yesterday, even though it was chest and tri day in the weight room, I decided to do 300....yeah, I know, NOT BRIGHT!! Since it was overload chest and tri, I tried to overload bi's today. 3 sets of chins with a 30 sec hold, chin over bar, on the last rep, 3 sets of pullovers, 3 sets of single arm cable pulls, 4 sets ez bar curls, 2 sets 21's, and 2 sets conc curls. I finished with a set of crunches, a set of seated knee ins and a set of cable crunches. I'm really not sore in the chest and tris and kinda surprised I am not. I really haven't been doing many pushups lately because they seemed to aggravate my shoulder but so far no issue there. I want to do 250 on Wed and that would be 1000 in the last week...gotta do it! Good work Ladies, hope your Springs come soon!

Tom, are you going for the Guinness Book of World Records for pushups? Or maybe Ripley's Believe it or Not would be a better fit, ha! Soooo impressed. As Cathe says, if it doesn't challenge you it doesn't change you...and why the heck not since your shoulder has been cooperating!? High fives! Tom, we're getting snow today. No Spring in sight.

Today's workout was a mouthful. Low Impact Cardio & Strength w/Step Live (6/11/15) (w/up and cardio step only = 30 min) + KCM Body Training Standing Legs (30 min). Yep, try to figure that one out! ;)

Karen, how are you? You getting more snow today too? (I am such a broken record. whine whine whine)

Today was PHAT. Great workout. It's not snowing here, but, we are having an inversion, which is just as bad, if not worse. It's been a cold and weird Winter. Just waiting for it all to be done!
Geez, Tom! Nothing like an unbridled zeal for pushups. I should try that.
A mouthful is right, Lisa. But, it does sound like a good one!
Have a great evening!

Karen, how are you liking S&S? Was that your second time doing PHAT? I love the PHAT Lives. My next fitness equipment purchase is going to be the Troy Lite barbell. We have a barbell set but the bar itself is so much heavier and so to do the "math" to get the weight plates right for Cathe Live becomes difficult and then it never adds up just right. There are lots of Lives and other DVDs that I now avoid because I am getting too old to deal with that, LOL! The Troy Lite is going to have to wait until the new house is done though because we are NOT moving another thing. :) Oh yeah, really bad inversion here too. Haven't seen the sun in days. It's funny because the inversion used to be the most annoying aspect of winter to me but this year it's been all about the non-stop snow and freezing temperatures. I don't even know why I bother using a fridge for my food anymore. I could just sit everything out on the patio and it would be perfectly fine...and even colder than the fridge itself, actually. Really it's the fact that this weather has made building our new house IMPOSSIBLE. February 1 and still too frigid. Sigh.

Tom, see, it's dangerous to ask me questions! I just whine! How are you doing today?

Today's workout was awesome and non-stop action. Scrambled Cardio & Weights Live (6/9/16). One of my favorite Live challenges. Have a great Wednesday!

Lisa, I've heard that the PHAT Live is great. Better than the DVD. I'm going to have to give it a go. Today was Cycle Sweat, great cardio! When I was in college we hung our refridgerated "stuff" in a bag out the window of our apt to keep it cold. So yes, you can use nature as a fridge. Talk later, I'm off for a lunch meeting.

I was a leg day noshow....big surprise. As Karma dictates, my day at work sucked! Couldn't even get in or out without forgetting something or forgetting to leave something in the car! Was going to do my 250 pushups to hit 1000 in the week, but they were working on an xray machine in that room...geeze! This morning I did shoulders, keeping it on the lighter side but mostly longer reps. 6 sets strictpress, 3 sets side laterals, 3 sets rear delt flys, 3 sets barbell front raise, 3 sets seated shoulder press (dumbbells) and 2 long sets dumbbell shrugs.Trying not to beat myself up over leg day and, as usual, will try to make it up over the weekend...my story and I'm sticking to it!! Have a great Thursday friends!

Posting my workout for now. Will post more later. Today was Strong & Sweaty Giant sets. Another goodie from Cathe! The weather reads we're getting rain today. I hope so, this nasty air needs to be out of here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom, sometimes Karma just slaps you in the face, huh? This just means that you will be extra motivated for another Saturday leg day. Karen and I will keep you accountable. Do it or no Super Bowl for you on Sunday. How's that? ;)

Karen, you are in a solid S&S groove. Way to go! Fingers crossed that the inversion gets pushed out. We have snow flurries here again. Hoping that it stops and warms up because the builder finally started excavation on our house yesterday! I think they got to the point of having no choice. We were #1 on a list of #25 or so home buyers throughout the valley just waiting and waiting and waiting. Of course, they will have to stop construction if the weather fights back.

Today I did a mix up of a 30 min KCM Plyometrics DVD and a 30 min Upper Body Express Live. I felt the burn real good today. :)

Like I stated above. Today was Giant Sets. I loved this workout. Good weight work with a cardio effect. The weather here, is still crappy to sh!tty. It didn't rain enough to clear the air. Lisa, good to hear that they are starting on your new home. Had to start getting it done, 25 families waiting for a home. Tom, your day sounds like mine. Always something in the background needing attention. But the weekend has begun. Bring it! Let's get this party started. Tomorrow is a workout day off, may try some yoga. (never been able to get into it, so it's probably what I need) we shall see. Until tomorrow!!

Friday and arm day...all's well with the world! 6x8 pushdowns/6x8 ez bar curls, 3x12 1x20 kickbacks/ 3x8 1x10 conc curls, 1x12 crossbody tri ext/ 1 sets barbell 21's,and finished with a set of cable crunches. I am going to try to do a bunch of pushups at work, will see how THAT goes! Lisa, 30 min plyo??ugh and followed by 30min upper body...true Commandoism! Karen, good luck with yoga, I could use that, but I cant even sit on the floor comfortably let alone do stuff there! Hope the weather improves for you both! Have a great weekend!

Karen, my favorite weight workouts are the ones that get me huffing and puffing. I'm excited to try PHAT from S&S. I've read that it's a good idea to add an extra riser from what Cathe uses--so take it from 3 risers/side to 4 risers/side. Will have to try that. Damn the inversion. I feel your pain, girl. Go get a pedicure and a cup of coffee today. That's my favorite way to treat myself anyway. Besides a massage, but the good places always get booked too far in advance. I'm with you and the need-to-do-it but can't-bring-myself-to-do-it relationship with yoga. Do you have Ultimate Yogi or whatever DVD series people were buzzing about last year or so? I can't remember the name. Regardless, enjoy your day off!!!

Tom, there is peace and order in the Universe once again because you killed it on arm day. Okay, well maybe not world peace but at least you should have inner peace because you rocked it today. Did you get those push-ups at work done? I'd rather do plyo all day long than do that many push-ups!

Today was cardio, Rock It Sock It Live. I'm feeling adventurous for tomorrow's workout so will try to do something "new" to me...of course that will really mean a new to me Cathe Live or Cathe DVD. Come on, y'all know I'm not that wild and crazy. :)

Have a great FRIDAY!

I know y'all know I lack a logical approach factor to training, BUT yesterday I really stepped off the planet! The dental assistant and I have been doing pushups on breaks between patients and she did 151 during the day, she is really getting stronger at them and it is fun to watch her improve! I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to do 500, but when I got there, I decided to do another 100 as the day was young and ended up at 600 pushups yesterday! 2 of the sets were 50 reps, most were 30 - 40, but they did get a little harder late! I think it is safe to place the "certifiable" tag on my mental competency! Lisa, the plyo you do would KILL me! I would rather do 1000 pushups,,,,would hurt less lol! Karen, what's up with our fearless leader?? Hope everyone has a great weekend

Finally got leg day done. I went to Nebraska yesterday for a chili feed at my home town college and so did leg day today. I decided not to do any heavy barbell work since my right knee has been sore, so I started with gob squats with a 50# kb and did 2x20 1x15 and on 15 something popped and it didn't feel good so that ended the gob squats!. I followed with straight leg deads 3x10 at 205 (this really gets my HR up),then, since I really hit tri's on Fridays arm and pushup day, I decided I would do some bi stuff this workout, so I did 3x8 chin ups,(I had to assist my last 2 reps...not sure what that's about?) 2x8 reverse lunges, 2x10 single leg deads, 3x20 single leg calf raises with a 50# kb, 3x25 single leg calf raises with no weight and 3x8 ez bar curls and 1 set 21's. I finished with crunches x50 x30 x20. knee ins x25 x20 and 1 min each side plank. Interestingly enough I never was sore as a result of all those pushups?? I guess they become more of an endurance thing? Hope you all survived and thrived over the weekend!

Merry Monday! Chest and tri, 11 sets bench (most longer reps 8-10) 1 x10 incline bench and I threw a few isos in between some of the bench sets, then 3 sets pushdowns, 2 sets crossbody tris and a long finishing set of kickbacks 1x20. I know it is Monday but we can do it....I think?Great Superbowl last nite, didn't have a horse in the race but was entertaining! Rock Monday my friends!!

Good morning!!! This week, I'm taking a page from Tom's book. One body part a day. This morning was chest. Started with 74 push-ups, (not all in one shot) then presses, flyes and the like. Using different tempos, counts, pyramid etc. Then finished with decline pushups on the stability ball. My chest is fried. Tomorrow is legs, concentrating on the glutes and hamstrings. It's only been one day, but so far, so good.
Now my rant: My dishwasher went on the fritz this weekend. The dumb thing is less than two years old. My DH and I, thought we could trouble shoot. No such luck. We started reading the reviews for this model, and found that most of the reviews were one star, with the same complaint. Don't buy Samsung, it's a beautiful machine, and when it did work, did an excellent job. I think it's the circuit board, and a new one costs $150. So, back to the drawing board looking for a new one! Now, my washing machine is having a tantrum. It is almost 9 years old, and is an excellent machine. I remember my mother had a Maytag for close to 30 years, and never had to call a technician. Just don't make them like they used to. I think I hate computers in appliances.

Last edited:
Karen, sounds like you are in "appliance hell". Sorry, that sucks and finding people to work on stuff for less than a ransom note is tough. Welcome to bodypart/day! Today was back and bi, chin-ups x12 8 7 with a 25 sec hold, 3 sets pullovers and 3 sets 1 arm cable pulls. For arms 4 sets ez bar curls, 2 sets conc curls and 2 sets 21's. I finished with 1x60 crunches. Lisa, what up? Lib, hope all is well. 1 day in Ladies...we can do this!

Tom, I think I'd travel anywhere for a chili fest. I love the stuff. You did it, you showed up for a weekend leg day. Way to go! Pushups galore with the dental assistant and leg day and chest/tris. You're on a roll, keep it up!

Karen, UGH! Seriously, I know it's a first world problem ... at least our grandmothers who washed dishes by hand in the sink would say so...but OMG so sorry about the dishwasher. The worst part is that it was still new! I'm guessing no warranty? We've had good luck with LG appliances, FWIW. Yeah, I know, whatever happened to quality control with these things? Geez. You rant anytime you want. The last thing I personally want to do is a sink full of dirty dishes at the end of the day. Nice chest work today! Look forward to reading about your workout "agenda" this week since you tend to kill it, just sayin'!

So, we were at a Super Bowl party on Sunday (for the food and friends, not for the game. I couldn't care less). I wanted to stay for the Halftime show, and after that we left. You know, tired DDs and all that. Anyhow when we left I said "Mark my words, Tom Brady will come back and the Patriots will win." Not to toot my own horn or anything...toot!toot!..but I totally called it. Not like I'm super happy about it or anything because I don't care about football and I typically really dislike the Patriots, but IMHO Tom Brady just deserved this win. So did the whole team. They are just good and there's no denying it!

I should probably tell you guys that I've been secretly training with a new, secret, and VERY demanding Commando. My new "trainer" has required me to modify my moves, lower my dumbbell weights, and to add insult to injury, has put me on a bulking plan with all of the bulk going to my belly. Plus, my DH and I had to buy a minivan recently because there wasn't enough room in our other cars to drive around with this new Commando!

I haven't met my new trainer yet...in the flesh... because he's still in my tummy, but he'll make his grand debut in the Spring (according to the schedule). I'm pretty far along in my pregnancy and decided not to announce it here until later because the earlier I announce, the more license it gives me to complain! (Consider yourselves lucky, LOL) I plan to work out as long as I can but I have definitely hit the OMG-I'm-so-pregnant stage.

Good news for you, Tom, is that you are no longer outnumbered in our check-in since baby is a little BOY!

:) :) :) :)

I should probably tell you guys that I've been secretly training with a new, secret, and VERY demanding Commando. My new "trainer" has required me to modify my moves, lower my dumbbell weights, and to add insult to injury, has put me on a bulking plan with all of the bulk going to my belly. Plus, my DH and I had to buy a minivan recently because there wasn't enough room in our other cars to drive around with this new Commando!

I haven't met my new trainer yet...in the flesh... because he's still in my tummy, but he'll make his grand debut in the Spring (according to the schedule). I'm pretty far along in my pregnancy and decided not to announce it here until later because the earlier I announce, the more license it gives me to complain! (Consider yourselves lucky, LOL) I plan to work out as long as I can but I have definitely hit the OMG-I'm-so-pregnant stage.

Good news for you, Tom, is that you are no longer outnumbered in our check-in since baby is a little BOY!

:) :) :) :)
CONGRATS LISA!!!!!

Lisa, looking forward to our new male Commando! Big Congrats to you both! Today was legs and I SHOWED....ON TIME!! 4x8 bench squats, 3x20 gob squats, 3x8 reverse lunges, 3x25 barbell calf raises and 3x20 (r) and 3x22 (l) single calf raises, (my right is bigger than my left and trying to equalize). I finished with 100 reps cable crunches x40x30x20x10. I did another pushup marathon at work yesterday, doing 500, I did 100 Monday before bed (40 30 20 10) and think I did about 150 at work Monday, so I am going to see how many I do from Friday to Friday, shooting for 2000! It sounds like a lot, but doing it over 8 hours is really different and not as difficult as it sounds. Have a great hump day Ladies!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.