Your First Big Rock Concert?

Soosan, there's a good chance I was there too at that Bad Company concert. I used to love them. (Ick.) :+

I can't remember all the concerts I went to when I was young anymore. A few posts here have jogged my memory. I know I saw the Grateful Dead and I know I saw Three Dog Night at a local movie theatre, before they were very well known. But there are many that I can't recall, and I wasn't even smoking dope. I never really cared for it. Honest. :+

Shaun Cassidy? I got blindsided into taking my sister to Madison Square Gardent to see (gack!) big brother David at the very height of his Partridge Family popularity, white velour jumpsuit and all. My mother had promised my sister that SHE would take her but she wised up at the last minute and bribed me to do it. I was so afraid that someone I knew would see me that I think I spent the entire show with my coat over my head.

To make matters worse, Tony Orlando and Dawn opened the show. I think my ears are still bleeding...

Oh well, at least it wasn't Bobby Sherman.

OMG it was Phil Collins. Not very rock like, huh? I guess I was 13-15? I really don't remember. The one after was a bit more rockin' - Lolapalooza featuring Metallica and Soundgarden. Whoo! I'm so hard core ;)

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

OH! I looooove Phil Collins. I remember he had a concert in Chicago on my birthday last year but I didn't go. :( I bet he was GREAT in concert, Debbie!!

Angie

Talking about dating yourself.

I saw Aerosmith as a school dance band before they went big. Saw J Geils Band in a bar.

Saw the Stones in '78. Yes in 1977. Alice Cooper was my first concert, I'm not giving the year though.

Dave

yeah, Angie, he was great! Still love Phil Collins. Not everybody sounds great live if you know what I mean. He was our wedding day song, too ;)

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

My first concert was 38 Special at SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center) in 1983 or 1984. I was 13 or 14.

My last big concert was Rush in 2004, also at SPAC. I'd definitely go see them again.

My first concert was Julian Lennon which was followed a few years later by INXS (kick) Kylie Minogue and David Bowie to name a few.
My daughter got to see her first concert at the ripe old age of 9.
My friend is a life long Eurythmics fan and we went to see them in 1999 for the Peace Tour. The next night my friend wanted to go again so she took my daughter along instead because I couldn't make it.
Not only did they have a wonderful time but my daughter accidentally (on purpose) walked in on them during a sound check and later managed to coax Annie Lennox herself over to the gate outside (where the bands usually make a hasty exit) because she was told there was a "kid out there waiting". A drunk Dave Stewart sent over the nights playlist which he and Annie had both signed and my friend got to meet her Idol and shake her small, pale hand. (her words..)
My daughter is now a Eurythmics fan too and my friend had a night she will never forget.

My first concert was Julian Lennon which was followed a few years later by INXS (kick) Kylie Minogue and David Bowie to name a few.
My daughter got to see her first concert at the ripe old age of 9.
My friend is a life long Eurythmics fan and we went to see them in 1999 for the Peace Tour. The next night my friend wanted to go again so she took my daughter along instead because I couldn't make it.
Not only did they have a wonderful time but my daughter accidentally (on purpose) walked in on them during a sound check and later managed to coax Annie Lennox herself over to the gate outside (where the bands usually make a hasty exit) because she was told there was a "kid out there waiting". A drunk Dave Stewart sent over the nights playlist which he and Annie had both signed and my friend got to meet her Idol and shake her small, pale hand. (her words..)
My daughter is now a Eurythmics fan too and my friend had a night she will never forget.

(sorry, I made a mistake and this posted twice..)

>
>Oh well, at least it wasn't Bobby Sherman.

Don't diss Bobby Sherman!

The first record I ever bought was Bobby Sherman! "Hey, little woman, don't ....(something, something, something)..la, la, la, la, la, la, la....la, la, la,lalalala") Sing it Bobby.

I had such a crush on him when he was on "Here come the brides" (the same time I had a crush on Davey Jones--swoon!--and David Cassidy).

Kathryn--OMG--Davey Jones! I was in the Davey Jones fan club. I'll never forget the day my fan club packet came in the mail with an 8X10 glossy of Davey, a small tablet bearing his photo in the corner of each page, a pencil, a pin, and I don't remember what all. I was smitten, that's for sure.

Michele

>Kathryn--OMG--Davey Jones! I was in the Davey Jones fan club.
>I'll never forget the day my fan club packet came in the mail
>with an 8X10 glossy of Davey, a small tablet bearing his photo
>in the corner of each page, a pencil, a pin, and I don't
>remember what all. I was smitten, that's for sure.
>
>Michele

You are SO LUCKY!!;-)
I wasn't in the DJ fan club, but I did join the "Partridge Family" fan club, and got a photo of David Cassidy (I wonder if it's still around somewhere in my parents' house? It would make good Ebay fodder! Especially if it's autographed.).

Can you believe Davey is only about 5' 2"? He seemed taller than that at the time (of course, I wasn't full-grown yet, so he was still taller than I was at the time, probably).

Nancy, you're so lucky: You got to see the Doors in concert!! :) They're my favorite rock group of all time!!

I used to go to concerts, but it's seriously been like ten years since I've been to one! The first concert I went to was Eric Clapton. I also saw Bruce Springsteen (our seats were lousy) and Grateful Dead (that was quite a spectacle. Seemed like a modern day Woodstock). Oh...how can I forget Pink Floyd!! (major spectacle)
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.