Your First Big Rock Concert?

My 14 year old is hyper beyond words today, she's off to see Green Day later this afternoon with a friend and her parents at a stadium in Ottawa (about 2 hours away) it's her first big stadium concert and she's over the moon with anticipation.

In 1975 I was 13 and went to my first big concert at the CNE Grandstand in Toronto. I saw Bachman-Turner Overdrive with my older brother and sister and the experience dazzled and WOW'ed me. I couldn't believe the rush of energy being with 20+ thousand people. I've seen many big concerts since then including Aerosmith, The Who, Supertramp, David Bowie, The Clash, Bon Jovi..... (do I date myself?;) :) ) but will always have a special place in my heart for the first one. I was just wondering what/when and where was your first BIG rock concert??

Take Care
Laurie :)

ZZ Top around 1990 in Las Cruces, New Mexico. I've only been to a few concerts: Tom Petty, Wayne Newton, Doobie Brothers and the Pixies. I'm so lame. :)

Becky

Well, it wasn't BIG, but my first concert was Simple Minds at the Lyceum in London. My first HUGE concert was Bruce Springsteen at Wembley Stadium in London with around 70,000 people. July 4, 1985. He opened with Independence Day.

Since then I've been to many. I find it interesting that sometimes the opening act stands out in my memory much more clearly than the main event.

Geez ... talk about dating myself ... other than the teeny-bopper concerts when I was 13 through 15 or so, I guess the first "real" rock concert would have been Aerosmith in 1976 with a bunch of high school friends.

Carol
:)

My first stadium concert was great - Bryan Adams, Aerosmith and Sammy Hagar (I think) opening for Journey. It must have been 1983.

My first smaller concert was Adam Ant. Scandal opened for them. That was probably in 1982 or 1983 also.

Erica

I think it was Emerson, Lake and Palmer some time in the 70's at Hershey Park Area. The more memorable concerts were the smaller, more intimate ones, like Billy Joel in a small college gym right after Piano Man was released. I'm still aiming to get to a Jimmy Buffett concert in my (his?) lifetime.

I'm worse than any of you. I saw the Doors in the Felt Forum in Madison Square Garden in........who knows what year it was? My brother and I sent my Dad to get us tickets for the Rolling Stones, and they were sold out, so he came back with tickets for some group called the Doors. We had no idea who they were, but after we went to the concert, we became huge fans. Talk about dating yourself.

-Nancy

Don't feel so old Nancy. I think my first concert was the Jefferson AIRPLANE (not Starship) at the Fillmore East back in '68-'69. I probably told my parents that I was studying and sleeping over my friend's house because they never would have let me go otherwise.

My first concert was Motley Cue at the Starry Nightclub in Portland, Oregon. It was not really big, however.

I think my first big one was Black and Blue, White Snake, and Ronnie James DIO at the Memorial Coliseum, but boy, I can't remember it's been so long and I saw quite a few around that time. It might have been Iron Maiden.

I was quite the butt rocker/metalhead:p }( :p.

And I still enjoy it in my way (a secret guilty pleasure)...;-) I mostly listen to classical music now.

Maggie

My first was Firehouse back in the early 1990's. I know, LAME! Probably no one even remembers them now...

Lori

KISS! In 1976 or thereabouts.
I was 18 or so.
I took my binoculars, and happened to be looking at Gene Simmons right when he stuck his tongue out. Yikes!
I listened to their records a lot, but didn't really like the concert. You couldn't hear the lyrics or the melody, just a bunch of noise (though it was better after I put kleenex in my ears: it muffled some of the "just noise" and I could hear the lyrics and melody better).

The only other concert I've been to is Tina Turner. Unless what's-his-name-and-the-Four-Seasons at the Des Moines state fair counts?

The first concert I went to was Dr. Hook And the Medicine Show who opened for Three Dog Night. I had to have been in the 9th grade so it was 1974 or 75. I've been to many many more since then but my memories of that one are pretty clear.:D

My first concert was AC/DC in 1987. I had to lifted out of the crowd by muscular National Guardsmen because of pushing from the back of the crowd. We didn't have seats. We stood on the main floor right in front of the stage.

Elaine

Hey Lori! I remember Firehouse! In fact "Love of a Lifetime" was DH's and my wedding song! :eek: How lame is that????

My first big concert was Genesis in 1992. Saw Aerosmith in 95 I think. Queensryche in 96. Some small ones were Sly Fox back in 85 or 86 maybe, and C&C Music Factory in 91. That's all of em' folks.
Def Leppard is playing in Atlantic City in October. I'd really like to see them in concert. We'll see.

Kali

www.PictureTrail.com/kkali

Don't remember the year, but it was Janis Joplin in the 60's at Cornell University. Also saw the 4 Seasons there. Talk about dating yourself!

Peter Frampton at the Boston Garden. I think it was 1978 or 1979. Oh boy did I love him. Do you remember his hair? "Do You Feel Like I Do"?

What a dork.

Tracy

I don't remember....but my and my friends parents used to drop us off at this outdoor amphitheater called SPAC ( Saratoga Performing Arts Center) just about every Saturday or Sunday throughout the summer. We had a camp nearby and there were probably about a dozen of us that went.

I saw just about the who's who of the 70's. It was a blast!

Nowadays, I wouldn't think of dropping my kids off at a concert at that age. Times have changed!

A lawn seat ticket ran about $5.00 back then....

Tammy

Day on the Green!! Oakland CA, and it was Journey, Santana, Montrose Sammy Hagar! I loved it too. We went together as a bunch of girls and had a great time. The best fireworks I have ever seen came at the end of the show and it was the first time Journey did Open Arms publicly. At least that is what they said....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.