young girls and a cleanser

beth6395

Cathlete
Hello everyone. I have twin girls that are almost ten and they are getting blackheads around the nose area. Can anyone recommend a cleanser and moisturizer that would be okay for them to use.

Thank you.

I second the Cetaphil. My DD who is 13 has noticed a big difference with breakouts since using it.

Neutrogena makes an excellent oil free moisturizer with SPF, which we both use!!

My 10 1/2 year old dd uses Purpose. It's available at CVS/Walgreens too. It's what I use too!

I second the Mary Kay Velocity series. Mary Kay also has specific skin type items as well. Like the acne treatment gel for spot treatment, which i swear by!

Cetaphil! I use it, too.

My friend works in a derm office. She said that all we need it Cetaphil. It a great cleanser.

I have had problem skin all my life, even more so as an adult. It finally took two rounds of accutane to get it under control.

Recently, I have seen unwanted changes in my skin, a lot of it is age-related, and from sun damage. Also, it was starting to break out again. ACCKKK! I don't want to take accutane again if I don't have to. Nothing I have ever tried, be it a cleanser or a drug, has worked very long for me. What to do...

I found an article on line about the Oil Cleansing Method. Read up on it. It's interesting. I started it last week, and I am seeing big changes in my skin. Irritation is going away, pores shrinking, bumps and blemishes almost gone....and it's customizable for your skin type. It will be interesting to see how things are in 4-6 weeks from now, but I wish I had known about this way back when.

Check it out.

I have had problem skin all my life, even more so as an adult. It finally took two rounds of accutane to get it under control.

Recently, I have seen unwanted changes in my skin, a lot of it is age-related, and from sun damage. Also, it was starting to break out again. ACCKKK! I don't want to take accutane again if I don't have to. Nothing I have ever tried, be it a cleanser or a drug, has worked very long for me. What to do...

I found an article on line about the Oil Cleansing Method. Read up on it. It's interesting. I started it last week, and I am seeing big changes in my skin. Irritation is going away, pores shrinking, bumps and blemishes almost gone....and it's customizable for your skin type. It will be interesting to see how things are in 4-6 weeks from now, but I wish I had known about this way back when.

Check it out.

I am officially trying this one next week. Thanks for the tip:D

Long time since I was a kid, but I used old school Neutrogena (the clear bar) or Phisoderm (in the green bottle - do they still make that?). It should be something gentle and pure for that age.

Hi,

I just saw your post and wanted to comment. I think its essential no matter the persons age to do these three steps which are: Cleanse, Moisturize, and Protect. Now having said that I have to say I had occasional acne breakouts as a teenager and that has been an ongoing battle as I've gotten older and I still have the oily skin too. I guess I have wanna be teenage skin but here's what I'd recommend:

Daily Cleanser:

Keep it simple and mild is the rule of thumb. For that I'd use either Cetaphil, which is excellent or Johnson & Johnsons All over Bath Bath. I know it sounds weird but the Baby Bath is mild and won't make you tear up if it gets in your eyes, which is a plus. To remove eye make up I like to use Crisco, yes you heard me right. Its cheaper than any eyemakeup remover and you can get a ton of it cheap. Its also something a dermatologist has recommended because its great at removing eyemakeup without irritating the skin or eye and its super moisturizing more so than any cold cream on the market. Its also great on undereyes at night as a deep moisturizing cream or on elbows or knees or any other dry patches.

Another step in cleansing routine should be a once a week exfoliation: I suggest those simple little packets of sugar you can get. Yep, good old white table sugar applied to a dampened face and gently rub, this will exfoliate the skin and leave you with baby bottom smooth feeling skin. I love that trick!

Masks: I find that cheap is better than expensive. And low tech on skin care is better for daily care so this is what I use. I combine the following items in a clean glass jar: Oatmeal quick oats or old fashioned about a half cup grind in coffee grinder until a powder is formed. Then add either a half cup of Dehydrated milk, or dehydrated buttermilk (found in bakery Isles of grocery store), then just for a wake up kick I add quarter cup of finely ground coffee grounds unused. Combine all these items empty into jar and put screw lid on and shake up until its all combined. Now to use this you need a spoon to keep with this. I will take a spoonful of mixture and mix in my palm of my hand drops of water until I can make a paste with this in my hand then just apply and let dry. This absorbs oil like nobodys business and helps with deep cleaning pores. Then rinse with luke warm water and a wet wash cloth.

Toner's: Use daily after cleansing. Again I'm a fan of keeping simple and affordable. I will use either Witchazel, you can get at any drug store and its cheaper than most toners. Astringents are harsh contain alcohol which makes the oil glands pump like crazy, which is counter productive. My current favorite is really great and you get it from the condiments section of the grocery store. Give up? Ok, its apple cider vinegar. NOTE: DO NOT use straight apple cider vinegar on skin its too harsh. NOTE: DO USE a 50/50 mix of applecider vinegar to water and its fine. I keep my in a 16 oz bottle. Why applecider vinegar? ITs more acidic and has great anti bacterial properties which is what acne is caused from, bacteria not chocolate or junk food. Why apple cider vinegar and not white? IT has do to with the the apple cider vinear has higher acidic properties which is what works on bacteria and tones the skin nicely. Smell? The smell is only present for a very short time until the toner mixture applied to the skin dries, then no odor what so ever.

Moisturizer: I find that sunscreen with the highest spf I can get my hands on is great. It has moisturizing properties and the sunblock that is so essential to protect your skin. Limiting the skin's exposure to the sun is the best anti wrinkle thing you can do for your skin. Damage to the skin is cumulative so starting young and taking care to protect it from the sun is essential. I apply sunscreen to my entire face and neck but I only use about a half a dime size so it doesnt get too greasy. I have oily skin so I don't need the greasy feel by slathering too much on. Then I use clear aloe vera gel as my make up primer. Even if you don't use makeup aloe vera is great for your skin and I apply it all over my face and it dries quickly and feel great on the skin.

Review of products:

Baby Bath/Cetaphil = Cleaners
Crisco = Makeup Remover/Intense night cream
Table Sugar = Exfoliant applied to damp skin

Oatmeal, Powdered Milk, Ground Coffee- Grind each to powder combine and mix in palm of hand 1 spoonful to enough drops of water to make a paster.
This is for use as a mask once a week.

Apple Cider Vinegar/Witchazel= Toner- for use after cleansing or after mask, or exfoliating. DO USE: Apple Cider Vinegar in a 50/50 mix with regular water keep in clean bottle just for that. You can use Witchazel that works too and its fine. I like the applecider vinegar and water mixture for my acne and oily prone skin. Its cheap and lasts forever. You can't beat the price you can buy a gallon of the stuff for under $5 and your set for a long time. I found that I flew through traditional toners so this was a huge savings for me.

Always moisturize and protect your skin from the sun, this is a cardinal rule its important not just for the appearance of your skin but its a health issue with skin cancer. Always protect your skin from exposure from the sun and use the highest SPF sunscreen you can get your hands on and apply to face and neck etc....

Face Primer= Aloe Vera Gel (Clear) is great on the skin has cool feel and dries quickly and primes your skin if you choose to wear makeup. I found regular make up primers to expensive for me to bother with so I use this instead.

Ok, that's my pearl of wisdom for any girls skin regardless of age and a skin cleansing routine that's cheap, easy and good for your skin. I hope this is helpful.

Hugs!

Nora

Neutrogena makes a device called the wave - you need to buy pads that have a cleanser in it - each pad is one time use. I can get a little more expensive than a regular soap - but my dd loved using it so she actually did wash her face. She has also used clean and clear morning burst and loves it.

I would recommend neutrogena moisturizers as well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.