You know what grinds my gears?

boybielicious

Cathlete
Oh yeah, where are my manners.... HI CATHELAND!!!

So just perusing the US Weekly spread this past week. Yes, I know, fabulous news source, right? Ha.

I looked at that whole spread on the celeb moms who whipped their bodies back into shape & how they did it. I wonder why the hell they write this stuff to begin with. I mean, almost every last one of them has a trainer, if not a chef, nanny, etc...so they can go to the gym or do whatever for hours and hours.

Ahem. This doesn't really help a majority of the general population who don't have access to these things. I mean, they give some good exercise and eating strategies, but come on. I think anyone can follow those plans is someone is there to execute it for them.

Thanks for making a majority of women, and probably people in general, feel like warmed over poo.

Okay, back your regularly scheduled randomness.

What I don't like is when the celebrity mags harp on about how fat "so-and-so" is. Then when she loses weight, they harp on about how anorexic she looks!! What is wrong with society? I know there is a huge focus on size in Hollywood and all the talking in the world isn't going to fix it but grrrr it really fries my butt!!!

Carrie

Grinds my gears, gets my goat, AND irks my tater!

I know, that always gets to me. It'd be nice if one of these articles actually mentioned that, instead of portraying these ladies as holders of some mystical superhuman willpower. Granted, all weight loss takes willpower, I wouldn't take away from that, but I'm sure having a personal staff makes it just a teensy bit easier.

Another thing that annoys me is the "diet secrets revealed!" articles that invariably say: eat veggies and fish, drink water, don't eat crap. Oh my stars. No kidding.

I know, I just don't get what's wrong with US culture. We put so much emphasis on personal appearance rather than personal characteristics. It makes me crazy, especially all the celebrity magazines, TV shows, and web sites that are out there. I don't mean to offend anyone who finds that stuff entertaining--to each his own, but if we're going to obsess about them the way they do in other countries (such as England), can we at least let them be a natural size?

And, why doesn't anyone get upset about what size the guys are? Did anyone notice from the beginning to the end of Friends the women got smaller but the men got bigger? I don't remember anyone ever saying anything about the men getting bigger, but the women took a lot of heat for getting smaller.

anne

Consider my tater irked as well. (I love that phrase!) I also hate when they dog celebrities in the hopes of getting an unflattering picture of them. God forbid someone should have a wrinkle, a ripple, or a roll somewhere. :rolleyes: It's so mean spirited.

I love the obsession with the "baby bump" Once the baby is born the new mothers have no right to look worn out and exhausted. They MUST go back to pre baby phase as if ti all never happened.

On a side note: I will say this, I noticed many in the mommy set to be a rather catty bunch. Everyone is taking notes on who had a natural birth, who had a c-section, who needed an epidural, who is breast feeding and who isn't, whose kid is going into day care and who isn't. I had to see my friend crying her eyes out in the hospital over the "shame" of having a c-section (a very difficult birth where she nearly bled to death...were it not for a c-section she and baby would not be here with us today) and then watch her be shamed by nosebag others who couldn't believe she was such a horrible mother that she would supplement her barely there breast milk with <gasp!> formula. (BTW, I can't believe how bold people are blurting out "Are you breastfeeding?!") It even makes me feel a tad sorry for "Brangelina"

I've heard some women refer to the Breastfeeding Patrol as Nazis (not my words, but you get the idea).

I delivered with and without an epidural. The epidural birth was way more fun.

**It should be noted that I didn't get an award for my drug-free birth, nor was my incredible "bravery" announced over the PA system of the hospital. :rolleyes:

Little do some of these women realize that the Herculean efforts come after delivery...and that stage lasts at least 18 years.

I cannot and will not read or watch on TV any of the celebrity gossip stuff. A few years ago I became so utterly frustrated with them and their politics and antics that it affected my ability to watch their movies. I LOVE going to the movies and I find that the less I know about a movie star, the better I like their movies. :p

Nothing to do with celebrities but one magazine cover that bugs me is Family Circle. Every issue has some incredibly yummy looking dessert on the cover and some sort of "Amazing new Fat Loss Secrets" or "Lose 10lbs by Next Week" headline in the corner below it.

Michele...Me too!

But I hardly watch real news either. There's got to be something GOOD happening out there some where...why can't they report on some of that...not just the negative.

I am a gossip mag junkie-yeah I know...I skip over the "celebrities" like Miley Cirus and The Hills crap though, they are practically still in diapers, who cares what they are wearing.

I cringe when they do "mommy weight loss" stuff. The pressure on these women to look a certain way dictated to them by Hollywood or whoever is painful to watch. I mean its easier for them because of the extra help to be sure, but at the end of the day, they still have to do the work to lose weight like anyone else right? I just think its sad what is considered one day to be healthy, and the next its fat, the next its anorexic. Sheesh. I mean who is actually a size zero--naturally? There are a few to be sure, but ugh, at 5 '7' I will never be a size zero and would look grossly thin if I was.

I also cringe when they call certain women "toned' when they aren't at all, and then blast Madonna for having "man arms". Shoot, I just think I talked myself out of looking at these ridiculous magazines...you look at the models in the 80's and they actually looked healthy, Cindy Crawford, Christie Brinkley, all of them had bodies, I wish we would return to that healthier look...

I love the obsession with the "baby bump" Once the baby is born the new mothers have no right to look worn out and exhausted. They MUST go back to pre baby phase as if ti all never happened.

On a side note: I will say this, I noticed many in the mommy set to be a rather catty bunch. Everyone is taking notes on who had a natural birth, who had a c-section, who needed an epidural, who is breast feeding and who isn't, whose kid is going into day care and who isn't. I had to see my friend crying her eyes out in the hospital over the "shame" of having a c-section (a very difficult birth where she nearly bled to death...were it not for a c-section she and baby would not be here with us today) and then watch her be shamed by nosebag others who couldn't believe she was such a horrible mother that she would supplement her barely there breast milk with <gasp!> formula. (BTW, I can't believe how bold people are blurting out "Are you breastfeeding?!") It even makes me feel a tad sorry for "Brangelina"

Ain't that the truth about c-sections. I had two and everyone talks to me like I got off easy. VERY annoying!!!

Carrie

MICHELLE me too!! I never watch the late night shows with these idiot celebs and I never pick up those stupid mags either. What kills me is that these celeb-morons think that because they are beautiful they must be smart too and that everyone should listen in awe at their opinion on global politics. I'd like to see some of them try working and getting by in the real world on an average paycheck--then I'll be a tad more interested in their deep thoughts ............ or maybe not even then

Ridiculous

I would have to agree that is a ridiculous article. Unfortunately it is what sells. So until people stop buying this stuff, they will continue to print stories like these. Personally, I think society's constant deification of celebs is what is most disturbing. The are people, not gods - what is so fascinating about them? To me - nothing.

MICHELLE me too!! I never watch the late night shows with these idiot celebs and I never pick up those stupid mags either. What kills me is that these celeb-morons think that because they are beautiful they must be smart too and that everyone should listen in awe at their opinion on global politics. I'd like to see some of them try working and getting by in the real world on an average paycheck--then I'll be a tad more interested in their deep thoughts ............ or maybe not even then

I totally agree!

Oh man, as a mom, can I attest to this--I mean, come on, these things are not moral issues--let's cut each other some slack.

I've been seriously considering inducing this baby early and I'm getting so much dissaproval. I discovered epidurals with my fourth baby and I'll never go back to natural childbirth and I've had people frown on that too. I love breastfeeding, but we had a child with down syndrome who couldn't suck and although I pumped for as long as I could I had to supplement with forumula (or he would have failed to thrive) and I had people telling me I should just try harder.

I figure--do whatever works for you--it's really none of my business or anyone else's either. Motherhood is challenging enough without all of this added stress due to judgement over petty issues.

rant over;)

Maggie:)

Personally, I think society's constant deification of celebs is what is most disturbing. The are people, not gods - what is so fascinating about them? To me - nothing.

My family says that to me about how I feel about Cathe! I can't help it. :eek: She's my idol. I totally want to be her when I grow up. :D

I get completely suckered into the whole mentality that these people are like gods. Don't ask me why. I guess it's the fantasy of their lives and how I feel like I know some of them because I watch them on my little tv in my living room. It's weird, I know. But it's the same thing about Cathe. For some reason I feel like I know her since I spend every morning with her in my workout room!

Well Ali, you seem like the kind of person who has plenty to offer on your own without being someone's "groupie." Rather than emulate someone else, work on expanding your horizons....look within and you'll find it.

BTW, I have to say that I stopped looking at celebrity crap and reality tv. I cannot stand hearing about these mostly shallow people and I am really tired of seeing how filthy rich people are. I saw some MTV Sweet 16 thing where they gave this surly whiny brat her own hugely expensive birthday party, slutty looking dress, and then a matching humvee/jet ski duo. I thought the money would be better spent on a tutor (since she appeared to be the type who thinks it was the Germans invaded Pearl Harbor) or a speech therapist (who could teach her how to speak without using the word "like" every fifteen seconds) but alas, girlfriend has $$$$$. And when she reproduces (which unfortunately she will I am sure) she too can continue to trend of mind numbing stupidity.
Rant over ;)

I've heard some women refer to the Breastfeeding Patrol as Nazis (not my words, but you get the idea).

I delivered with and without an epidural. The epidural birth was way more fun.

**It should be noted that I didn't get an award for my drug-free birth, nor was my incredible "bravery" announced over the PA system of the hospital. :rolleyes:

Little do some of these women realize that the Herculean efforts come after delivery...and that stage lasts at least 18 years.

I'm 47 and have no kids so I usually don't get into these discussions but what you wrote took me back to when I was a secretary in Early Intervention with the State of Ohio. There was a big push, among the nurses and advocates for whom I worked, to get women to breastfeed. This was about ten years ago. I still remember reading one of the breastfeeding promotional brochures, with all the nurses standing around. This brochure had a huge list of celebrities/famous people who were breastfed, complete with HOW LONG their mom's breastfed them. There were celebs on that list that were breastfed for YEARS! One mother (I wish I could recall who) breastfed her kid until he was SIX YEARS OLD. Among all those nurses, I went off! I said any woman who's breastfeeding a six year old needs to "Get herself a MAN and stop using her child as a sexual surrogate." Then I went off about psychological abuse of a child... I don't know which of those nurses was responsible for compiling the info on that brochure but she sure kept her mouth shut. I may not have kids but I really get irritated with the way women use something as innocuous as breastfeeding to terrorize each other. Like breastfeeding means you're a better mom than Those Formula People. WTH?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.