You go away on one Cathe weekend and...

lauramangano

Cathlete
Your garden explodes! I have at least five zucchinis that look like baseball bats. You can only leave them in your neighbor's car so many times haha. What should I do with all these squashies?

I love zucchinis. Just spiral slice them and add tomato sauce and cheese and your protein source....yum yum

Zucchini Frittata -

Shred one of those big bats and squeeze out all the excess fluid. Saute lightly over med heat in a skillet with 2 minced cloves of garlic and a 1/4 c. minced onion.

Scramble together 4 whole eggs and 4 egg whites with 2 T. milk, 1/2 t. dried basil, 1/2 t. dried oregano, 4-5 drops of tabasco sauce, 3 T. grated Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. When zucchini has given off most of its moisture, pour egg mixture over and stir to combine. Let this set - do not stir anymore. Preheat broiler and when eggs are set on bottom, sprinkle 1 T. parmesan cheese over top and place under broiler until eggs are done on top and cheese is golden (note: you may want to wrap the handle of your skillet with aluminum foil to prevent melting if skillet is not ovenproof)

Zucchini Lasagna -

Slice zucchini into long 1/4" strips. Dredge in flour (seasoned to taste with salt and pepper) and fry in small amount of oil (do not crowd the pan - make in 2 or 3 batches)

Use in place of noodles in your favorite lasagna recipe.

Zucchini and Cheese Casserole
(or Hotdish in MN)

3 lbs of zucchini, unpeeled, cut into 1" chunks (discard seedy core if using zucchini the size of bats)
1 c. lowfat cottage cheese
1 c. shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
2 eggs or equivalent egg beaters
1 t. dill seeds
1/2 c. dried bread crumbs
1 T. butter

Simmer zucchini in lightly salted water to cover for 5 minutes. Drain zucchini very well.
In a large casserole dish, combine all but the bread crumbs and butter.
Bake uncovered for 15 min at 350 degrees
Sprinkle bread crumbs over top and dot with butter. Bake an additional 15 minutes.

Ratatouille - I use double the amount of zucchini and omit the eggplant
Stuffed Zucchini - Use your favorite stuffed pepper recipe only put the stuffing in a seeded zucchini.

These are some ideas. If your library has Jane Brody's Good Food Book, get it. There are at least a dozen more terrific ways to use zucchini listed there including zucchini bread, Mexican Zucchini Soup and many more.

Your neighbors are going to have to beg you to share your zucchini with them from now on ;)

Ingredient in Scrapple - PORK SNOUTS! - no kidding! - After our Cathe weekend I saw it in the grocery store and checked out what it was made of....ewwwwww! Seriously though, thanks for the great recipes.

Awesome! I'm afraid to let my zucchini get really big on account of the critters that frequent my garden.

I make zucchini frittatas for breakfast, zucchini bread, and stuffed zucchini. Yum, those recipes are great!

I once looked through a book on zucchini that suggested blending it to a liquid in a blender, and using the results as a substitute for milk in baked goods.
Zucchini bread is tastey.

I like sautéd zucchini, onions, garlic, sometimes tomatoes, seasoned with basil.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.