Yoga Question

Joey

This might be a really stupid question, but I have to ask. Why do yoga videos say not to do inverted poses when you're on your period? And why do they always say not to do it, and never explain why? Is that a discretion thing? Is it too disgusting to dicuss?
I work standing up and must do a shoulder-stand after work, period or no period. Is this going to reverse the flow or something? Wouldn't gravity take control as soon as I'm upright again? Sorry for all the questions. Does anyone have the answer?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-22-02 AT 08:50AM (Est)[/font][p]I think there is a belief that the flow is "toxic" (funny we haven't died yet after all these years of menstruating) and inverted poses may reverse the flow.

I have completely disregarded this "information" and do as I please. I haven't seen any science/facts/theory to back this claim up. Website: http://www.poweryoga.com click on "About Yoga" and then go to the FAQ's.

In my not-so-humble-opinion, I just think it's a bunch of misinformation, perhaps even mysoginistic beliefs held over from the "old days".

Tell me about your yoga practice. It definitely has its benefits, I find I HAVE to do it to keep me off the chiropractor's table. My shoulders kink up horribly.x(

Namastae

Julie

It has to do with the fact that menstruation is sort of a "cleansing" process, and inverted poses don't allow the blood to flow out. At least I think that is what it is. I'm not sure if anyone really knows.
I asked a yoga teacher once and she said not to worry about it; she does inverted poses while on her period.
Cari

Thanks for the info, you guys. I don't actually practice yoga, Amadeus. I have some tapes by Kest, Yee and Rich, and I guess I don't really like any of them, because I can't seem to get myself to do them more than once every few months. I just incorporate some of the poses into my evening stretch. Good for you for doing them on a regular basis!

THe first time I heard that I questioned it as well. After doing a lot of research and asking a few masters who teach locally, it boils down to this: if it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it. However, for many women during menstruation inverted poses are uncomfortable or painful due to the state of the uterus and vessels. Keep in mind that yoga is supposed to be more than exercise: most forms of yoga teach certain poses benefit very specific body parts or systems. THe deeper you get into the practice, the closer the mind/body connection is supposed to be. From a practical standpoint, sOme of those inverted poses, if you hold them for long periods of time, can become uncomfortable. I have two things happen to me during that time of the month: my balance is off, invariably, and any poses that crunch up the belly are more uncomfortable than normal.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.