Yikes ..... I just saw a picture of myself!!!

Worknprogress

Cathlete
My daughter just brought home a picture of us from this past weekend that her friend took.

I HAVE TURNED INTO ALL SORTS OF FRUMPY!!!!

In order to save on money, I have stopped coloring my hair and am not cutting it as frequent as it should it looks dull and limp. My nonstop injuries kept me from working out, then my lack of motivation kicked in from getting lazy which put on 10 pounds. I had to buy a pair of jeans a month ago just to have something to wear other than sweatpants!!!

Plus, I just look sooo much older than I thought I did!!!! I am so upset!!!

I just tried working out and lasted only 25 minutes, most of which I was huffing and puffing.

Have any of you ever let yourself go? How did you get out of your rut?

Help - I am beating myself up emotionally and mentally for doing this to myself!!!!!

Awww Deb, I'm sorry you are feeling so blue. I DO know that feeling. I have gained some inches lately and haven't even changed my workouts...still working hard! I also have seen some pix lately and haven't been "happy"! I feel as if I look frumpier too. Are you 56 years old by the way??? LOL! I also waited too long to have my hair re-highlighted because my gal who does my hair, moved to a new shop and it is $20.00 MORE to have it done there! YIKES! I finally broke down & had her do it yesterday and I am not happy to see how it lowered my checkbook so much! I know this doesn't help you much but at least know "WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER!" Pick out some FUN workouts, keep trying to eat as clean as possible and always come back here for encouragment. I bet you look just fine BTW! Don't be so hard on yourself. (I need to apply that to myself!;))

It was actually an experience like this that led me to Cathe in the first place. I was getting my haircut at a new salon, and everyone there was young and hip looking, stylishly dressed. I saw myself in the mirror and I looked frumpy and awful by comparison. I embarked on what I called the "Jodi beautification project". I started working out more seriously...bought a new step, which came with Basic Step and C&W, bought just a few new clothes that were more flattering, changed my makeup, etc.

I tried to do just a few small changes that didn't cost too much (except for the step, but I thought that was a long-term investment--and was I right!!!), that would make me feel good about myself. I would recommend taking a similar approach. Change just a few things just to give you an initial boost. I bought a few new clothes. Not too much, just a couple of things to give me a new look. I got some new makeup, and it really brightened my look.

As for working out, I promised myself that I would do the best I could and that my most important rule was never to beat myself up. If I missed a day (or several), I didn't worry about it, just picked myself up and started again. No feeling sorry for myself.

My advice is to start back a little at a time. Don't be too hard on yourself, and try to stick with the idea of giving yourself a little boost. In other words, don't worry about rotations, etc, just do the workouts that make you feel good. If you do basic step for a 1/2 hour, great! Whatever helps you feel good about yourself.

But I have to say, I've seen both of you gals in person, and I'm having trouble picturing EITHER of you as "frumpy"!!! Hang in there, we all have times when we're feeling down on ourselves. Try not to let it get to you, and I hope you're able to find a nice "pick me up" to get you back in the game!

And BTW, I am wearing my "We're in this together" shirt today! Sending you both lots of (((hugs)))! You can do it!!

Last edited:
Thanks Jodi! that was sweet! Your advice is excellent! You looked amazing on the RT! Must be that NEW make-up! Ha! Deb, I agree...just make a small changes here & there. Hope your spirits are lifted very soon!

Debbie,

You are not alone. I've done it many times. The trick is, to never give up and get back to eating right and exercising again. Do your best and you will improve.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

I am feeling the same way!

I just saw a pic of myself the other day and was so disappointed. In it I was running a youth race with my 1 year old. She looked great and my dad did too but I looked frumpy and fat. Unfortunately the picture was in a local publication!! How mortifying. I sometimes think I look better than I really do (without really seeing myself of course) because when I work out I am always looking at Cathe and crew and they always look awesome. So when I look in the mirror...ugh. I am not going to worry about it too much. I know my body's limits and know that I will never be able to look like Cathe, but at least I am healthy.

I just saw a pic of myself the other day and was so disappointed. In it I was running a youth race with my 1 year old. She looked great and my dad did too but I looked frumpy and fat. Unfortunately the picture was in a local publication!! How mortifying. I sometimes think I look better than I really do (without really seeing myself of course) because when I work out I am always looking at Cathe and crew and they always look awesome. So when I look in the mirror...ugh. I am not going to worry about it too much. I know my body's limits and know that I will never be able to look like Cathe, but at least I am healthy.

I think we all have moments like that. I know that I'll think I look pretty good, and then get a glimpse in a mirror and be shocked! YIKES! Mine is usually related to my posture...I hate to see myself all hunched over. Like you said, I try not to dwell on it. Even supermodels look crummy in the morning when they wake up, right? (At least I sure hope so!!:))

This just happened to me too. I had a load of pics taken of me on the weekend (thanks to a fellow Catheite who was visiting) and was horrified to see myself in them. I look terrible. Old and haggard and burnt out and my hair looks dreadful (even though I just had it cut) and let's not even talk about the fatness.

*sigh*

I don't look like that in my head. I guess I better start looking in the mirror more, huh?

Jodi - great advice. I used run or workout an hour to an hour and a half a day. It was always great therapy for me. But it seems now, when I need the therapy the most, I've got two more children and less time. I guess I have to stop dwelling on what I can't do and even if it's only 20-30 minutes - I will have to maximize that time. I will have to look at Cathe's workouts and select some shorter premixes that at least just get me going. I tend to be very hard on myself, sometimes I have even made up an excuse not to go somewhere because I am so uncomfortable with how I look.

Every day I wake up with the intention of starting over. I dwell on how much weight I need to lose, how long it will take me, etc.

I think the makeup thing might be one of the things to change. I have been doing my makeup the same for years. Don't some of the department store do makeovers if you buy some of their products? Or where else can I go (other than MAC - too many makeovers gone bad at the one here I've been told) - any websites out there for updating your look on your own?

I think a haircut is a definite as well. I still want to skip on the color/highlights. My hairstylist moved out of state about 2 months ago so I will have to get some recommendations from others.

In the meantime, I will try to set my goals in smaller increments and have a thought process of, "I can do this, at least for today."

Debbie H - I loved your hair at the RT! I wish I had thicker hair because I would love your style. No, I am not 56, although chasing 3 and 4 year old boys around at my age of 46 makes me feel older!! I will keep in mind we're in this together. Maybe we can check in with eachother. You know the old story - misery loves company!

Mabdoo and Shelley -

I am there with you both. Until I saw the picture of myself, I had no idea how bad things got!!

I'm even thinking of copying the photo and placing in in several areas of my house - namely my kitchen and my basement workout area!

In the meantime, I will try to set my goals in smaller increments and have a thought process of, "I can do this, at least for today."

Perfect! Don't dwell on how much you think needs to be done. Take it a little at a time. Do what you can do, and don't sweat the rest. Good luck! And keep us posted!

Guilty as charged!!!

After my son was born 4 years ago, I looked at myself and thought UGHHH
i started taking a monthly picture of myself in the same bikini and posting it above my Cathe calendar, refigerator and DVD's. Yes, neighbors and friends were horrified, but I HAD to see it everday to re orient myself and remind myself to do it. If I get gutsy today, I'll post some. I really have no shame.
It helped me SEE what I looked like and what needed to change!!!
elliemom

Debbie, around 4 years ago I was in the same position. I was a runner in high school and for a few years after, but then got married and had three wonderful kids. When my youngest was 9, I felt like you do. I started out by walking. Then I gradually added running. then three years ago found Cathe. I feel better, look better(?) and everyone keeps telling me I lost weight, what more could I ask for. Start little and work your way up.

Hope this helps. Kay

I'm nearing 30 years old, out of shape, have a face and body full of acne and psoriasis, bad hair (falling out now) that I don't know what to do with, and I haven't slept more than couple of hours a night "naturally" in months. I'm going to school in one of the wealthiest smaller communities in the country with a bunch of extraordinarily beautiful 18-22 year olds.

To say that I feel completely and utterly undesirable is the understatement of the century.

I've started "beautification" projects, but there are fundamental things about my appearance I can't change. Without those changes, any motivation to keep up with the rest goes down the drain very quickly.

I did get a nice new winter coat for Christmas that I can almost complete hide under.... :D

Elliemom - I've got to think about that one. Although posting a photo of myself in a bikini and hanging it up in the kitchen would take a lot of guts, my whole family may stop eating:D:D!!!!!!

Book Recommendation

Check out the book Staging Your Comeback: http://www.amazon.com/Staging-Your-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225920036&sr=8-1. It's has some super tips to get you looking your best no matter what your weight. I think too often we wait to get to a target weight before putting in the effort to look our best, when if we approached it the other way around, the boost in self esteem we'd get from making the effort would probably make it easier to embark on and stick to a fitness plan. The makeovers in the book are truly inspiring.

lynda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.