Would like more muscle definition

AnneMA

Cathlete
Hi all:

I don't know if this is a protein issue or if anyone else has some other input for me. I'm seeking muscle definition that I've yet to achieve in years of strength training. Would love to have guns like Cathe or Pinky.

I am 5'3", weigh 105 lbs and 48 years old and have always been this size. I do some cardio, but mostly strength training with weights, pull-ups, push-ups, etc. I mix it up alot and have been using Cathe for many years and also utilize P90X and P90X Plus. I work from home, so work out 5 days per week, sometimes 6 depending on how I'm feeling that week.

Although I have good muscle tone, I do not appear cut, which is what I 'm looking for. I always take in some protein within 30 minutes of strength training, but maybe that's not enough? I'm wondering if there is a definitive answer on how much protein should be taken in comparison to your body weight and when/how often. Also, is there something that I could be missing other than the diet side? Is it possible that my body type just isn't likely to attain what I'm looking for? If not, I am super happy with my body as is. Would love to get to the next level if possible though.

Thanks for any input

What leans me out the best and therefore defines my muscles are high rep endurance work outs paired up with cardio (a little of both in same work out every day works better for me then alternating cardio and weights every day).

Cardio and weight circuit work outs work for me too.

Last edited:
Constantly changing it up works best for me-changing exercises performed, the order the exercises are done, body parts trained together, rep speed, the number of reps and sets per exercise, doing cycles of strength, hypertrophy and muscle endurance training. Of course diet is an all important factor.

Also a very healthy dose of basic body weight training added to your weight lifting regime- pushups- all types, squats- all types and pull-ups with varying hand positions.

Hope that this helps

It is more difficult for some people and body types to obtain excellent muscle definition but it is obtainable.

Thank you, ladies. Hmmm, I do feel like I mix it up quite a bit, including body weight work. I am always sore the next after my workouts, so feel like I'm really working. Guess I will keep plugging away!

I've read suggestions from 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight to 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. I couldn't tell you if either is correct though.

I have heard 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight. I have no idea if that is really true.

What leans me out the best and therefore defines my muscles are high rep endurance work outs paired up with cardio (a little of both in same work out every day works better for me then alternating cardio and weights every day).

Cardio and weight circuit work outs work for me too.

Ditto.

You might also try reducing your starchy carbs (even whole grain ones) as they generally make a person retain water & therefore appear less cut. That's why figure athletes reduce their carbs drastically before competitions. Obviously, you don't want to cut them out entirely as your body needs the nutrients & fiber, but if you're eating 5-6 servings per day, cut that in half & see how it works for you.

Another thought: if you're sore EVERY DAY, your muscles are retaining water (DOMS = temporary water retention). Cathe's written about this extensively. Things like asparagus, celery, watermelon, cucumber, dandelion, etc. are natural diuretics and can safely help relieve some of the water retention so your muscles will appear more defined.

HTH!

Hi. I feel your 'pain'. I too have been striving for that for well over 15 years! I too am muscular, but not built the same as you at 5 5" 150; but a size 4 so I do know my workouts are effective and I have a lot of muscle weight. But weight is just a number...

I chimed in because what I am finding just recently is that I cannot eat as much as you would think. With how much I work out, and when I try to figure my calorie needs, if I eat that amount; it is counter productive for me. I have tried it over and over again keeping it clean, lots of protiens, veggies etc.at the calorie level for my fitness level and weight etc.. but nothing changed in my composition. It seems I do develop muscle easily, so high intensity cardio with body resistance and occasional lifting and eating less calories is doing the trick.

Saying that, I know that you have to feed muscle, but everyone is so different. I used to think that because I could get muscle on so easily, I should do it all the time. however, my body gets leaner with cardio and i don't lose my muscle or strength level as long as I use resistance with my body (insanity for instance) and lift on occasion.

This is just what has helped me...I am happier with my definition now than I have ever been. Still working on it, but I can see the results which is very rewarding. Good luck!

IMO, definition comes from three things working in concert:
1) building muscle with sufficient work and recovery (just consuming protein won't do it, though to build muscle, you need to eat more overall calories, which will automatically increase your protein consumption. More than 1 gram per kilogram of body weight really isn't necessary. Endurance athletes actually need more protein than strength athletes).

2) reducing body fat to a level that lets the muscles show (which is from a combination of diet and exercise...in some ways, 1 and 2 are contradictory, as reduction of body fat often means reducing calories).

3) genetic predisposition and body type. Endomorphs (those who tend to have higher body fat, think "Rosie O'Donnel") and endo- combination types (endo-meso, endo-ecto) have a harder time with definition. Mesomorphs (who put on muscle easily, think "Madonna") have the easiest time of it, while ectomorphs (who don't put on either fat or muscle easily, think "Paris Hilton") have a hard time with the muscle gain, but not as much with the fat loss.

I'm going to think more about all the input, I appreciate it.

After reading Kathryn's descriptons, I can see that I'm definitely an ectomorph.

I believe I have a fairly low body fat percentage and I don't usually feel like I'm retaining water. Although I didn't know there was a correlation between DOMS and water retention and am going to read more on that. Is it abnormal to have DOMS after every strength workout?

I used to do more cardio than I do now, but it didn't help the definition, so I backed off and thinking maybe I'd add more muscle if I did less. No difference either way. I don't do high impact because of my knees, so I dunno, maybe I need to look at my cardio more closely.

I'm also wondering if the ladies like Cathe, Jai and Lorraine, the ones that are super lean and cut always look like that or do they look like that only because they are slamming their diet and workouts in preparation for filming, etc.? Similar to body builders who lean out before a show? Sometimes I think that I have too high expectations, but then I see someone who has been so successful like Pinky and get inspired again.

Yikes, sorry for all the rambling!

Calisthenics, circuit workouts mostly (lower weight, higher reps mixed with cardio = advanced tough workouts) and bootcamps has leaned me out and have given my body more definition. My gunz actually show now. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.