Would I need Turbo Tower for STS-TBW?

bzbnmom

Cathlete
Is the Turbo Tower/pull-up bar necessary for STS Total Body Workout? Can this DVD be used successfully without it?

If I recall - you can just use a chair - many instructors do. I use the Turbo Tower but it's only 'cos I have it. Lean and Chiselled uses a chair and I think Tracey Mallett uses a chair too. Come to think of it - Pershing Square II uses a windowsill. Tracey Effinger uses a chair. So yeah - I guess you can just use a chair ha ha. Make sure it's sturdy.

I just did the STS Total Body workout last week. I don't have a tower and didn't have any problems. I actually use whatever is around that is sturdy...usually the bar on my lifting bench or a chair. And like CeciFifi wrote, a windowsill would be just fine. :)

This is probably a stupid question, but the answers are confusing to me. I've done STS Total Body lots of times--what move would you use a chair or window sill for?

--what move would you use a chair or window sill for?

I have watched the video clip, and I was wondering the same thing?

Are there any exercises that use the Turbo Tower besides the chest barbell press, inclined chest barbell press, and pull-ups? I don't think a chair would work for any of those. If you don't have the Turbo Tower do you skip the pull-ups, or sub in something else?

For STS Total Body the only thing the Turbo Tower is used for is the chest press and to hold the barbell. I have a squat rack/bench press rack, but I just got it for Christmas so prior to Christmas, I just lifted the barbell from the floor. You can go heavier with the rack--but I was still able to lift pretty heavy. However, I am pretty sure that is the only exercise that the Turbo Tower was used specifically for.

The tower is used in the 'bonus' section for pullups near the end. But since I don't have that equipment I just use tubing that attaches to a door.

Where is this pull up bonus? I've always done the full workout including the bonus burns--no pull ups. I came home and looked at chapters--I didn't see any pull ups. Is it on a premix? It's not listed on any of the premix titles and I didn't see a "bonus" menu item. I'm just confused now. This is one of my favorite workouts--how can I be missing it completely?

Pretty sure it's after the closing credits in the main workout. The entire bonus which includes chinups (oops not pullups) is about 11min long. I'll try and check tomorrow.

A picture of Cedie doing the chinups. Cathe Friedrich - STS Total Body – Bonus Chin Ups

WTC?!?! I have done the full workout so many times! I cannot believe this was on there and I had no clue! I found a review on Video Fitness Reviews that says this on one of the Timesaver premixes: Compound only (premix 7). I had no idea there were additional bonuses on this DVD or I would have done this premix sooner! I've actually never done a single one of the STS TB premixes--I always go straight for the full workout every time! This feels like when I discovered the Bootcamp/Muscle endurance combo bonus and the Pyramids total body bonus! An extra treat! Thanks!

STS Total body bonus segment

WTC?!?! I have done the full workout so many times! I cannot believe this was on there and I had no clue! I found a review on Video Fitness Reviews that says this on one of the Timesaver premixes: Compound only (premix 7). I had no idea there were additional bonuses on this DVD or I would have done this premix sooner! I've actually never done a single one of the STS TB premixes--I always go straight for the full workout every time! This feels like when I discovered the Bootcamp/Muscle endurance combo bonus and the Pyramids total body bonus! An extra treat! Thanks!

That is the reason I refer to cathe's workouts as GEMS;)
They truly are----
I knew about that bonus but I just do not have the tower.
Mind you I have a squat rack plus a door attachment for pull us.
Now I am inclined to attempt this bonus in future.

Ha ha - I think I thought I was responding to a question about using a Turbo Tower for the Turbo Barre workout - not STS. Not sure what I was thinking at the time. I must have dosed off mid-post! My mistake. Sorry everyone!!!!!

I have looked and cannot find the bonus pull up bar work out. I searched all the premixes and found nothing. Can anyone direct me to this bonus segment?

Premixes and Bonused

I have looked and cannot find the bonus pull up bar work out. I searched all the premixes and found nothing. Can anyone direct me to this bonus segment?

Hi Cecifi,

STS Total is pure lifting program based on the same concept of STS program.
This means you find your one rep max for each exercise listed on the program. The one rep max is recommended but not imperative/compulsory.

This DVD does not contain any barre segment. Premixes are for compound lifting exercises with the use of turbo tower or squat rack. The turbo is used for both lifting and pull up.Those who do not own a tower, like some of us living abroad, can substitute a turbo tower with squat rack and door attachment for pull up.

Hope this clarify and answer your question.

I believe the misunderstanding comes from the tower versatility. The turbo tower can be used for lifting (used as a rack), pull up and as a barre. STS Total does *not* contain any barre bonus though.

Those who want a barre segment can get a premixe from Lower body blast which I have attempted myself as yet!

All the best,

Last edited:

It's under the Timesaver Compound Only Exercises 53:44 Premix. You'll see the bonus starting just after the 27min mark. With the chinups (not pullups) starting at the 29min mark.

It's also under the Timesaver Compound Only No Abs 44:53 Premix also just after 27min mark.

HTH!

Wow!!! I feel like I just found a new workout. I quickly ran through that premix and there are a few different exercises and it seems like a different workout!! So cool! I'm so glad I found this out. I need to get better at checking out all the premixes !!! Just like body max 2. If you do the boot camp premix it's an entirely different workout. Chris

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.