Workout Warriors - Summer Revival

This morning I did Low Impact Circuit. Been a long time since I did the whole thing. There's a lot of cardio this first week. Yikes! Scattered through the week are Double Wave Pyramid, Circuit Blast AND Cardio Core Circuit. :eek:

This morning I got on the scale for the first time in a couple months and I'm down 3 1/2 pounds. Me like! :D Another 3 and I'll be quite pleased and getting closer to where I want to be. I would love to ditch the next three by the end of August. First time the scale has moved downward that much for me in several years. And I hardly worked out and my eating choices weren't great. Thank you hot weather for the lack of appetite. :p

Janis have fun with your guests!

Kimberly it sounds like your workouts are just rolling along!! I did the push up challenge and got 20. I figure that's about as high as I'm going and didn't try it again. :eek:

Kim details about the attack please! I can't watch youtube stuff on dial-up. :(

Happy Monday Ladies!

Cathy - Welcome home! It sounds like you had a zoo-rific trip, and got a bonus visit in too...yay! 800 pics...wow that is a lot! They're all fabulous, I am sure.:):) LIC is a good one! I prefer doing that one in it's entirety. It does look like a cardio rich week for you. Hey, congrats on the weight loss...I am sure the walking helped a lot too. I like miniature golf too, my son and I always behave like we're high level competitors in the Palm Beach Open. Do or die!

Kim - Holy crap! I wonder how much that ball weighs! Her timing is amazing. Ok so here is a country western version, well, it's not a direct comparison, but you'll enjoy it nonetheless. ‪StacyLWestfall's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Kimberly - Are you out there?

Our friends just left, I miss them already, but their son will be here next week with two of his band mates, so the house will be full again and it will be a lot of fun to see them and hear them play.

Tomorrow is running. My new running shoes just arrived from Zappos, Yay! and after running I'm having a Skogg's kind of day.

:D

Quick check in today. This morning was Double Wave Pyramid. Off to an early haircut for Derek and then picking up 2 of the boys friends (brothers) who are coming out for the day. Boys occupied means I can get a ton done. Lots of volunteer work to catch up on.

Janis - enjoy the new shoes. I've got to get a new pair fairly soon myself. Glad you had fun with friends.

Cathy - Way to go on Double Wave Pyramid, that's a fun one and a great way to start the day. Enjoy your "free" time and the sense of accomplishment from getting tons of stuff done.

Kim and Kimberly - Are you doing Kim things together? :D:D:D

My new running shoes were great, they made a huge difference for today's run, and like a good little runner I wrote today's date on the box.

Tomorrow I am doing B&G

This morning was Circuit Blast. Everything in that one seems to have a touch of cardio to it, but it really seems overly heavy on shoulder work. Cardio, core, shoulders and legs. The rest doesn't seem to get much work.

I didn't get as much accomplished yesterday as I'd hoped, but at least got something done. Supposed to go to the park this afternoon, and taking a friend of Derek's along with us, but it's drizzly and dreary right now.

I may start kidnapping the puppy next door during the day. Sam has to go to work and the other guy gets home around 7 a.m. and sleeps during the day. So, puppy is outside so he can sleep - and puppy DOESN'T like that. I go visit him some, but I'm thinking I'll just talk to Sam about bringing him in the house. I wouldn't let him outside with Sparty at all, but he's about the same size as the cats now and Sparty is ok with them inside. I get him out of his kennel and try to get him to run around, but he just wants to be picked up and held. That's not happening much longer given how big he's going to get!

So what are you all up to today?

Oh, and yesterday I was up a half pound, but today I'm down a whole pound, hoping that today's trend continues!!

Hi Cathy

Yeah, I agree - I've noticed that a lot of circuit workouts, Cathe's and others, tend to involve the shoulders and legs more frequently than other muscle groups, probably because they are easier to work with compound moves. :)

Very nice and sweet of you to think of the lonely puppy and his need for socialization. He certainly sounds like he may be a little neglected.

I, sometimes, lurk over at Videofitness.com...mostly to read what other ladies are doing with their kettlebell workouts. I came across a homeschoolers check-in and thought of you: ***HOMESCHOOLING MOMS***Moving into August, All Welcome - Video Fitness Forum Do you ever go to Videofitness.com?

Kim and Kimberly - How is life?

I have B&G on tap for this morning. This afternoon I'll take my dogs for a walk.

Last edited:
YOU WERE PROMISED A TONKINESE ATTACK AND A TONKINESE ATTACK YOU SHALL HAVE

Now just to get yous all caught up, a Tonkinese for anyone wot doesn't know is not some new kind of STS or Insanity Strength or Endurance Training Series, it's http://www.tonkinese.info/ OK so now we've got that all cleared up.

So Ros came over last week and told me this story and I have tried so hard not to post it on here, but I CANNOT stop laughing every time I think of it, so I've decided to share.

So one lovely sunny Aussie afternoon off she toddles for a stroll with her beloved Jack Russell (Harvey). They get a few houses along when who should they meet but a couple of Tonkinese seemingly minding their own business. Harvey being the cheeky-happy-chappy terrier that he is espies this pair and instinctively reacts with a woof-woof-woof. Ros jerks him back on the lead expecting that that's pretty much the end of that, right? WRONG The dual Ninja-gened martial arts supremeos launch an immediate surprise ambush and striking in unision catch Harvey unawares. Setting all about him snarling and thrashing all teeth and razor claws just like a furry Jackie Chan it is the work of but an instant before they take him out.

Ros with lightening reaction grabs Harvey and cradles the whimpering and terrified little terrier to her breast; still quivvering in terror. Thinking that's the end of that, doggie in arms she prepares to stride away and continue on with her stroll.

Guess again sucker.

Not content with a paultry canine victory these fiendish Tonkinese-warriors now have the poor bedazzled Rozzie keenly in their sights and without a nunchuck in sight hissing and spitting they then begin a dedicated terror campaign upon her innocent and unsuspecting little Ozzie self. Her version of the story was that her lower legs were all razored and lacerated resulting in a visit to the Dr for her, a trip to the vet for Harvey, various shots and a $200 bill. I couldn't in all honesty hear all the details at the end of the story as I was hanging out of the edge of my chair laughing so hard that I was nearly puking into the fuschias. All I could picture was poor dear, sweet, kind Ros bravely making her escape homewards, protectively cradling her beloved hairy hound whilst dragging her legs along behind her with a Tonkinese securely attached at each knee and clinging on like some mongolian-Ugg-type-yeti-legged boot adornment. Brings a whole new illustration to the phrase 'Fashion Victim'.

Here kitty kitty kitty .....................

Attachments

• jack russell puppy[1].jpg
    jack russell puppy[1].jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Happy Thursday!

Kim - Tonkinese sound evil! Poor little Harvey. Poor Rozzie. Poor Harvey and Rozzie. Funny story to tell later, but man I bet she wasn't laughing when it happened. What is the Tonk part of a tonkinese? Oh, I found it, Gulf of Tonkin. A mix between Gucci and a siamese? Siamese must be the evil part of that union. :eek:

Cathy - What did you do today?

Kimberly
- are you preparing for your hiking trip?

As for me - I ran, I did kettlebell, and after I eat I'm going to clean out my clothes closet. It's been on the to-do list for ages.

Kim, I'm sure I would have been laughing my head off too, but I sooooo would not have wanted to be here. One of the first cats I had after moving away from home turned out to be quite psychotic. I who truly believes that drugs should only be a last resort for anything - ended up putting her on meds forever...well her forever, because she could go from being a seemingly innocent cat, to a potential attacker very quickly. She cornered me in the hall one night and I was seriously afraid to pass her. :confused: So, did she ever go back and try and find the owners of the twin terrors? I've always been wary of dogs when I'm out riding or walking, guess I'd better add potential cat attackers to my watch list!

This morning I did KPC. The drills and abs. Makes for a good 45 minute workout. I normally start my rotations on a Sunday, but we didn't get back until the afternoon, so I started Monday, but I'm taking the boys to tryouts on Saturday and so I'll be home to workout. Then I'll just start the next week Sunday and skip my rest day.

Have you all been checking out the pics posted of the new workouts? I'm really liking the looks of Turbo Barre. Barefoot and minimal equipment.

Boys had their sports physicals today with the "rude" doctor as they refer to him. ;)

Cathy Welcome back. Seems like you had a good time. 800 pix. Where are they. Do you plan to share?

Janis How did the closet clear out go? I did mine a year or two ago, very very painful. But now there's stuff everywhere again and just does not seem to have a home so need to start a vicious pruning again. Problem with that is that I don't get rid of it I just stock pile it in the spare room for e-bay listing which NEVER happens. Then DD has a clear out and I hunt through that for e-bay appropriate items and end up keeping half of it myself. DD and I are the same size but NOT the same shape unfortunately. DD is the curvaceous shape of a South Sea Island Beauty whilst I am more the shape of a hippo.

This week I've had good success with a no-carbs assault. Strange how 3 months ago I just couldn't quit sugar but now I'm doing well with eliminating carbs altogether. There is an appreciable difference since the photo I post last week. I'll not sure if I'm invigorated though. I'll take a raincheck on that and also have a weigh-in tomorrow to check what the scales have to impart. W/o wise this was not a successful week. I put that down to the high humidity, which thankfully has broken now so I expect to do much better tomorrow - if not I'll maybe have to re-think my low carb energy sources.

Kimberly Are you still with us? We certainly hope so :D

Janis and Kim, one of you be so kind as to come clear out my husband's part of the closet please! If I do it I'll get in trouble, but if someone else does it, I'll just say someone stole all the ratty things. ;) And he has some seriously ratty T-shirts taking up space, along with things he really doesn't wear and some that no longer fit, but he CANNOT bring himself to part with any of them. As I've pointed out to him, I have about a quarter of the closet and he has the rest.

Kim, I'm on dial-up! I did put about a dozen or so of the best pics on Facebook, so if you're on there let me know. Otherwise, uploading them elsewhere is a very lengthy nightmare.

This morning I did Cardio Core Circuits. Survived it and that's about all I can say. After that I went and walked around the yard with Sparty taking pics of cool spider webs with dew on them to cool off. It got down around 60 tonight, but the temps are heading back up again later. We've actually had about 3 days in a row where we didn't need the air on, and that's about to change again.

I talked to the guy next door a few days ago and it was killing him to have to leave Bentley outside so much, but since he had to work and Gerry had to sleep there wasn't much option. The last couple of days though he's been home more and Bentley's hardly been out alone. Bentley's Mom, pretty much goes everywhere with him, he's self-employed so he can take her with him a lot, and Bentley will likely to the same once he's older and well enough trained to not wander off.

Staying home today and hoping to get more volunteer work done. I'm planning to retire next spring from the position and I'm trying to clear up the mess I was handed that was compounded by changes at the international and national levels. It's been very frustrating, but I talked to the woman yesterday who is just taking over as the coordinator for Michigan and she's very big on stream-lined organization and is looking to make some changes that will make my job far easier. There's been too many fingers in the pie and too much conflicting info being tossed out.

Hi to everyone!!!! Stop in and visit please.

Hi Ladies

Did Michelle Dozois Peak 10 Cardio Strength. Wow. And that's it, no more to be said, except maybe, I stink.

Kim - closet clear-out is mostly done. I have the jersey, pullovers and jumpers to go through still, but that can wait until November. Right? "I'm not sure if I'm invigorated though." Hmmmmm.....well...you haven't been sleeping, yes? And it's been bloody well hot and humid, yes? Give it another couple of days. Are yous gettin' enough protein?

Hi Ladies

Did my long run today at the vineyard. I listened to Cardio Coach Press Play. I started the run listening to Sean's Coach's Notes and then the interview with Jim Maclaren. At the half way point of the run, I listened to the challenges and the extracts from the interview. This program is so inspiring and always makes me weepy, more so now since Jim is no longer with us.

He reminds us: Love and be love.

And: It is a mind, body, heart thing -

And of course: Each day we are given a choice to live our lives in a certain way ....

I followed up my run with Skoggs Roots #2. Still loving this workout, although my kettlebell is feeling a tad rough.

Have a great weekend.

This morning I did Step Blast and then took the boys to tryouts. They tried out and then hung out with friends while the other was trying out and in between for the 12U tryouts. I spent the time talking to friends. Now a whole week off before practices for fall ball start. Worked out six days in a row - good solid workouts, too! Not to keep it rolling.

Rained here today and then got steamy, but....it's actually going to be in the 70's this week. Mid to upper but still it will be a really nice change. Some nights are even going below 60!

Janis did your older dog go with you on your run? Bentley is turning out to be a VERY adventurous little guy. Apparently, his Mother was not, so this is new territory. He's met Sparty through the fence and really wants to play, but there's still too much size different and Sparty totally doesn't know his own strength. He's off on his first boating adventure today.

Hello

I'm winning the war against carbs.

I went to a dancing thingy last night. This attracts two types of people, those who keep the floor busy and those who attend for the social aspect and settle down usually with a picnic type accompaniment. There was so much food there last night. Crisps (chips), choccy, sweeties and even a fantastic cake I saw with huge berries on the top. I resisted everything and only partook of a couple of carrot sticks and 3 grapes to ward off the hunger.

Having gone out @ 6p.m. though I'd had to have dinner @ 4.30 so when I got home at midnight I was genuinely hungry this is the time that I find most diffficult to know what to eat. Anyway I foraged for something, which was less than ideal but at the moment the carbs are simply not a temptation so I'm not having to wage a war.

I did a step w/o this morning and was extremely lack-lustre once again (yes Janis I'd had my protein by then) which disappointed. I powered on through although it was a less than convincing performance and then crashed out on the sofa after a huge lunch of veggies with some strips of steak.

I'll put that all down to the return of the humidity coupled with a late night, but hope energy levels will rejuvenate.

Not sure I'm a Workout Warrior anymore - but not for want to trying.

Kim YAY on the party food choices! And even if you didn't feel it was your best effort you did workout!

On the other hand....I didn't. Ok, so technically it was supposed to be my rest day, so it isn't the end of the world. Again, with the sleep issues. It's been weeks since I've had more than the occasional full nights sleep. This business of waking up wide awake for an hour or more a night is getting really old. I know it's a phase and it will go away, I'd just like it to go away very, very soon. Last night I was awake for at least 3 hours. Hungry and thirsty, so I finally ate a small banana and drank a cup of water. Then I read for awhile. Finally, fell back to sleep and slept until 7:55!!! I haven't slept that close to 8:00 in years. I ate breakfast, because I was still really hungry and told myself I'd workout a couple hours later, but it just wasn't happening. So, tomorrow I'll start the second week of the rotation and just work in a Saturday workout again next week.

Hey Cathy sympathies with the sleeping. Its coz you've got business in your mind. Have to clear all that right out. I find on the long wakeful nights you tend to get hungry a lot. It's all just a vicious circle. Infuriating. I've tried it all, ironing, playing solitaire on the computer, just getting up @ 3a.m. - we were never late for school drop offs those mornings. I'm much better these days.

Janis hope you had a gr8 w/e with all your boys 2 and 4 legged in the California sunshine. Actually that sounds pretty darn good to me :D

I fared better (best this week) with w/o today. I did Intensity again, but mashed it up warm-up Lo HiiT Hi Hiit and then boot camp. I don't think that took a whole lot. I prefer to go to the Lo before the Hi to ease into it rather than Hi Hi Hi winded winded winded. I think I went easy on myself and finished out with shoulders and bis. In fact I feel good rather than broken and crawling about gasping for air.

This could be a great day but as it's almost half over - I'd better go and find out.

This morning Circuit Max was on the rotation, but I don't have that one, so I ended up doing Boot Camp. That one has always had a big dread factor for me and I really have never figured out why. I do workouts that are as tough or tougher without feeling that way about them. I tried to get out of it and figure out something else to do, but pretty much every other circuit workout I have was already in the rotation, so I sucked it up and did BC. Spent the first four cycles dealing with the mental issue of dreading it and the last four talking myself through doing it. :rolleyes:

Kim, I'm generally a very good sleeper, and for times I'm not I have tricks to relax myself and get to sleep, but this time I'm pretty sure it's all wrapped up as part of the fun of perimenopause. Thankfully, I've escaped a good deal of the issues that seem to come along with it, but every once in awhile I have to deal with something. Last night although I woke up a fair number of times, I always fell back to sleep quickly, I'm really hoping that'll get me back to my normal sleeping ability. I'm a very cranky person when I'm not getting enough sleep and since DH hardly ever sleeps well (never according to him) one of us needs to.

I've still never done the boot camp part of intensity. I don't think I've even watched it to see what's in it. Mainly because the idea of surviving the cardio part just to do more is just too much for me. :eek:

Hi Ladies

Cathy - I'm not a huge fan of Bootcamp either, I like Drill Max more. Does you DH suffer from sleep apnea? You both may benefit from going to a sleep clinic. Seeing a professional helped my best friend immeasurably. Yes, my dog goes with me on my outside runs. He loves it.

Kim - "Not sure I'm a Workout Warrior anymore - but not for want to trying." Care to say more? :)

Today I did Michelle Dozois' Ultimate Workout then Skoggs Roots #2. Hot day today, later I'm hoping to do some isolation/isometric glute lifting stuff. :)

Janis my DH literally has not slept well a single night that he can ever remember going back into his teens. He was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, and even tried a machine, but the doctor finally agreed it wouldn't work because he can't fall asleep, so that it can. He long ago reached a point where he's convinced nothing will help, and I've given up trying to get him to try things.

As for me, the last couple years, I have a few days out of my cycle when I have the wake up in the middle of the night thing. It's a fairly common event for woman in this part of their lives. Since I seem to be edging closer to actually being done with the whole thing, my body seems to be upping the fun things it does.

I have to say that "isolation/isometric glute lifting stuff" has kind of a kinky ring to it. :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.