Workout Temperature

slenamond

Cathlete
Cathe,

Do you burn more calories and get a better workout when it is hotter and you are sweating more?

I have heard both yes and no for answers and would like your opinion.

Thanks, Sharon

I'd like to have the answer to this one too. since it is summer and I don't have air conditioning, sometimes it's almost 80 degrees in my house when I work out (even though it's only 5:30 in the morning!) Needless to say my body temp. gets really high. It's unbelievable how much one person can sweat!

You might sweat more, but IMO you don't lose any additional fat - or build any extra muscle. I'm not sure about this theory, but think about a sauna. The scale will probably show a lower number for someone getting out of the sauna, but this is water loss only.

Anyone else have any other thoughts?

I think that I, personally, get a better work in cooler temperatures. Even if I try my hardest, I can't seem to push as much when too hot. Thank goodness I finally put a fan in my workout room.

:) Shelley

Actually, I believe you burn more calories in much colder temperatures. I know if I run outside in the winter, I look leaner. I read somewhere, can't remember where that your body is fighting hard to warm itself and therefore burns more calories. I am certainly no expert but it makes sense to me.

The cold thing makes sense. They say that you burn more calories if you drink ice water because it takes more calories for your body to warm it up.

I do know that if it's too cold in the room, I'd much prefer to stay under a blanket than get up and work out! :)

Nope, working out in a warm environment just guarantees one thing--water weight loss. Yes, the body will try to work a bit harder for a short period trying to cool itself, but when unsuccessful, in an attempt to maintain a stable temperature, the body will stop working as hard at exercise. And, blood that normally supplies working muscles with oxygen will instead be shunted towards the surface of the skin in an attempt to cool down, which will limit your capacity for intense exercise. The little bit of extra work your body will go through to try to cool itself is waaaay offset by the decline in performance. It's also begging for heat injury.

On the other hand, exercise in cold environments--temps pretty far down there--pose very little danger and actually increase the caloric expenditure due to the body's attempts at warming itself. Even though the body gives off heat as we exercise, a cool environment can accept heat even faster than we generate it, meaning that the body will work harder to stay warm.

ACSM recommends 68-72 degrees as ideal room temperature for exercise.

Maribeth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.