Workout recommendations/favorites (coming back after cancer treatments)

Tmj75

I’m trying to pull together somewhat of a modified rotation, or just compile a list of some favorite workouts to pull from (DVD or Lives). Can anyone suggest some favorites?

46 years old, just finished radiation for early-stage breast cancer a couple of months ago but given the all-clear. I have no restrictions. I’m finding I can do the workouts just fine, but it’s taking me a little longer to recover. Or maybe I'm not as motivated to push myself too hard anymore. I sort of want to change how I exercise and do things more for enjoyment. So, I’m looking to build a Mon-Weds-Fri schedule (with Tues and Thur being long walk/hike, yoga, fun activities, or rest).

Idk if I need an actual rotation, or just a list of good workouts to pull from b/c it takes me forever to decide what to do (selecting from Cathe, which I’m just coming back to and love, and other trainers). I get bored really easily, too, and like to switch things up. There's so much variety (thanks, Cathe!) but it gets overwhelming sorting through it all and deciding what to try.

I like metabolic workouts, total body strength, strength + cardio/hit, PHA, bootcamp, etc. Basically anything that keeps you moving and keeps the heart rate high. I’ve tried some of the Workout Blender routines because they move quickly (and are often shorter—I prefer 40-45 mins but that's not a deal-breaker). I don’t like slow and heavy, gym-style. I don’t like a lot of repetition in sets, etc. Maybe not pure cardio.

Looking for total body or upper/lower but not necessarily specific body parts. I could do total body workouts MWF, or I can do an upper day, lower day, and a total body day??

What are some of your favorite workouts or series?? Thank you for the recommendations!

Idk if I need an actual rotation, or just a list of good workouts to pull from b/c it takes me forever to decide what to do (selecting from Cathe, which I’m just coming back to and love, and other trainers). I get bored really easily, too, and like to switch things up. There's so much variety (thanks, Cathe!) but it gets overwhelming sorting through it all and deciding what to try.
It sounds like you have a good knowledge of the types of workouts available and a history of exercising. After watching my mom struggle through chemo, I wouldn't even know where to start on suggesting workouts. I have no idea what radiation does to the body, but if it's anything like chemo... Anyways, only you know what you're capable of. I'm also older than you, so I have to modify some things for my wrists as well as some of the higher impact moves. So, I'm going to let someone with more experience (possibly someone that's been through what you have) address the specific workouts.

So, I'm only going to comment on the section of your post that I copied & pasted at the top of my reply. I exercise to help keep my body healthy, like most people. I use exercise, though, for a lot of other things. It helps me "handle" my life. So, when I tried the types of rotations others use, I found that I didn't complete them, because I'd come to a workout on a day that I really needed some punching and kicking or something to burn off energy and that day the workout was something else. I'd need a "fun" workout that I already had mastered, but the schedule had me doing something that required more concentration than what I was able to come up with that day. So, I tried using no rotations and just selecting my workout each morning. That didn't work either, because I had so many that it was taking me too long to figure out what I wanted (overwhelmed, like you mentioned). Also, I didn't feel I was pursuing my fitness goals in a very balanced way.

I eventually came up with what my hubby calls my "flexible rotation". I'll try to explain it, and you can decide if something similar would work for you. I have an index card box (well, it's 2 boxes now - my collection kind of grew as I became fit enough to do more advanced workouts). In it, I have dividers that I've labelled with the days of the week. Then, I wrote all of my workouts on cards (this took a LOT of time) with any info that would make it so that I didn't need to look up any other info (name of instructor, name of DVD, workout I'm doing from the DVD if there's more than one option and the premix - if applicable, equipment needed, the time the workout takes, and any notes to myself - ex. modify some high impact or add additional stretch). I then took each card and put them in the box by the day of the week that I plan on doing that workout. So, for me... Mon. Cardio with blasts, intervals, HIIT, etc. Tues. Total body strength, Wed. Steady state cardio. Thurs. Alternative strength (ex. toning such as Pilates or barre, yoga for strength, resistance band workouts, etc.) Fri. Kickbox Sat. is a light day for me with a warm up, additional ab/core work, and a lengthy stretch/flexibility. Sun. is my "healing" day of active recovery (ex. light yoga, Qi Gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Fascial Fitness, etc.)

Each morning, I go to my box and select something from the section for that day of the week. I try to choose from the first 10 cards (rather than the whole stack). When I've completed the workout, I move the card to the back of the stack. This allows me free choice (to suit my mood, needs, time available, etc.), doesn't take much time, keeps the workouts very varied (it takes quite awhile for a card that's been completed to work it's way back to the front of the stack), and makes for an organized system that has a lot of flexibility while keeping me on track. It doesn't take me very long to select my workout and if I notice that the the next 10 cards are all of one type (HIIT, circuit, etc.), it tells me that I've been avoiding certain types of workouts for awhile and gently "forces" me to get serious about doing them.

I also have a separate section of my box for short rotations that I've come up with. I'll choose one of these cards on a Monday (to do for the whole week) when I know I have plans for hiking, biking, etc. that week. I do this, because it gives me a chance to kind of emphasize different fitness things that week by doing upper/lower body splits 3 days a week and reducing my cardio to two days a week & it's fun to just change things up a bit.

I don't know if this method would work for you or not, but when I read your comments, you sounded a lot like me. :) You could have Mon. Upper body, Wed. Lower Body, Fri. Total Body dividers putting abs/core work where you want (with upper, lower, or by themselves). You could also have a card section for indoor active recovery days (ex. yoga) and a separate section for your cardio.

Unless you're really really good at always sticking to your fitness goals, though, I would recommend some kind of organization system (informal rotations) even if the stricter rotations aren't for you.

I admire your strength. What you've been through is difficult and scary. I'm so glad that you're able to get back to exercising and enjoying the outdoors.

Wow Braille, what a great system you've worked out for yourself -- thanks for sharing!

Tmj75, I'm sorry I don't have much to offer as Cathe's variety causes me to not have "favorites" persay. Since it appears you plan outdoor-sy activities on Tuesdays and Thursdays, maybe make M,W,F your weight days ... maybe a PHA on Mondays, a traditional Total Body on Wednesday & a Bootcamp on Fridays. Then do something for recovery on the weekends or add in a HiiT day.

Since you've worked out with Cathe for awhile, it sounds like you have your favorites... just plug them in. HTH

It sounds like you have a good knowledge of the types of workouts available and a history of exercising. After watching my mom struggle through chemo, I wouldn't even know where to start on suggesting workouts. I have no idea what radiation does to the body, but if it's anything like chemo... Anyways, only you know what you're capable of. I'm also older than you, so I have to modify some things for my wrists as well as some of the higher impact moves. So, I'm going to let someone with more experience (possibly someone that's been through what you have) address the specific workouts.

So, I'm only going to comment on the section of your post that I copied & pasted at the top of my reply. I exercise to help keep my body healthy, like most people. I use exercise, though, for a lot of other things. It helps me "handle" my life. So, when I tried the types of rotations others use, I found that I didn't complete them, because I'd come to a workout on a day that I really needed some punching and kicking or something to burn off energy and that day the workout was something else. I'd need a "fun" workout that I already had mastered, but the schedule had me doing something that required more concentration than what I was able to come up with that day. So, I tried using no rotations and just selecting my workout each morning. That didn't work either, because I had so many that it was taking me too long to figure out what I wanted (overwhelmed, like you mentioned). Also, I didn't feel I was pursuing my fitness goals in a very balanced way.

I eventually came up with what my hubby calls my "flexible rotation". I'll try to explain it, and you can decide if something similar would work for you. I have an index card box (well, it's 2 boxes now - my collection kind of grew as I became fit enough to do more advanced workouts). In it, I have dividers that I've labelled with the days of the week. Then, I wrote all of my workouts on cards (this took a LOT of time) with any info that would make it so that I didn't need to look up any other info (name of instructor, name of DVD, workout I'm doing from the DVD if there's more than one option and the premix - if applicable, equipment needed, the time the workout takes, and any notes to myself - ex. modify some high impact or add additional stretch). I then took each card and put them in the box by the day of the week that I plan on doing that workout. So, for me... Mon. Cardio with blasts, intervals, HIIT, etc. Tues. Total body strength, Wed. Steady state cardio. Thurs. Alternative strength (ex. toning such as Pilates or barre, yoga for strength, resistance band workouts, etc.) Fri. Kickbox Sat. is a light day for me with a warm up, additional ab/core work, and a lengthy stretch/flexibility. Sun. is my "healing" day of active recovery (ex. light yoga, Qi Gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Fascial Fitness, etc.)

Each morning, I go to my box and select something from the section for that day of the week. I try to choose from the first 10 cards (rather than the whole stack). When I've completed the workout, I move the card to the back of the stack. This allows me free choice (to suit my mood, needs, time available, etc.), doesn't take much time, keeps the workouts very varied (it takes quite awhile for a card that's been completed to work it's way back to the front of the stack), and makes for an organized system that has a lot of flexibility while keeping me on track. It doesn't take me very long to select my workout and if I notice that the the next 10 cards are all of one type (HIIT, circuit, etc.), it tells me that I've been avoiding certain types of workouts for awhile and gently "forces" me to get serious about doing them.

I also have a separate section of my box for short rotations that I've come up with. I'll choose one of these cards on a Monday (to do for the whole week) when I know I have plans for hiking, biking, etc. that week. I do this, because it gives me a chance to kind of emphasize different fitness things that week by doing upper/lower body splits 3 days a week and reducing my cardio to two days a week & it's fun to just change things up a bit.

I don't know if this method would work for you or not, but when I read your comments, you sounded a lot like me. :) You could have Mon. Upper body, Wed. Lower Body, Fri. Total Body dividers putting abs/core work where you want (with upper, lower, or by themselves). You could also have a card section for indoor active recovery days (ex. yoga) and a separate section for your cardio.

Unless you're really really good at always sticking to your fitness goals, though, I would recommend some kind of organization system (informal rotations) even if the stricter rotations aren't for you.

I admire your strength. What you've been through is difficult and scary. I'm so glad that you're able to get back to exercising and enjoying the outdoors.
Thank you for your thoughtful response! I love this! Yes, it does sound like we have similar style, and I definitely would like to develop a "flexible rotation" like you described, pulling from whatever type of workout I'm doing that day. Now the key is building that list. I'm trying to develop a list of specific workouts that I enjoy, adding more Cathe to the mix. I've done some of the DVDs so have those as a base, but I'd really like a more extensive list by adding some Live workouts (I've done a handful). I know I can search by workout type, but even within that it's sort of trial and error. I think I'll spend some time reading through posts to see if there are any specific workouts (especially Live or Workout blender) that people enjoy, and then from there it's a matter of trying them out. Thank you for the inspiration!

Wow Braille, what a great system you've worked out for yourself -- thanks for sharing!

Tmj75, I'm sorry I don't have much to offer as Cathe's variety causes me to not have "favorites" persay. Since it appears you plan outdoor-sy activities on Tuesdays and Thursdays, maybe make M,W,F your weight days ... maybe a PHA on Mondays, a traditional Total Body on Wednesday & a Bootcamp on Fridays. Then do something for recovery on the weekends or add in a HiiT day.

Since you've worked out with Cathe for awhile, it sounds like you have your favorites... just plug them in. HTH
Thank you! I appreciate your response, those are good suggestions. I have worked out with Cathe in the past, so I do have familiarity with some of her DVDs. That's definitely a good base. I'm hoping to expand my list by adding some more Live workouts or maybe DVD workouts that I haven't tried yet. It's hard to know where to start, even when searching by workout type! I'm going to do a little reading around the forum to see if there are any specific Live workouts or DVD workouts that people particularly enjoy or recommend and start there. Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.