Workout DVD for 13yo Boy?

Fembot40

Cathlete
I need workout recommendations for my 13 year old son. He needs to lose quite a bit of weight. He's cycling outdoors and also attends drill practice one day per week at an airforce base. I've started him with Cathe's Boot Camp arm premix and have added a few of the lower body only segments, 3x's per week. Does anyone have suggestions for other weight lifting videos that might appeal to someone in his category? I have all of the Cathe workouts except for STS, so a Cathe suggestion would be great. I've been searching the Collage site, but have yet to see a male lead w/o that's up to Cathe's standard. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

: ) Tina

I am not sure that weight lifting is a good idea for a 13 year old boy. I would lean more towards outdoor activities, sports maybe karate or some other classes. Even activities like inline skating, swimming etc. Maybe check out your local Y. He is going to have a growth spurt soon also. I am not sure what kind of stress strength training could put on a growing body. My sons are grown but I remember when they were that age and the various aches and pains they experienced due to growth spurts. One of my guys would get dizzy when he stood up because of how fast he was growing. I would be very careful adding weight training without getting a medical opinion.

yea, definitely think first of his interests. talk about it together, having a life long healthy habit is what you both really want, long term health, not just losing a few #.
alot of guys like kick boxing or all different kinds of self defense mma, judo, karate...great discipline in that, and also burns insane amount of cals.
hiking
what about plyo? maybe he could work up to cathe's plyo or hiit?

I googled safety for kids weight lifting, this seems like a good article,

http://www.teenagerstoday.com/resources/articles/safetraining.htm

There is a warning about starting kids too early on weights, that elaborates on the points made by PhyllisG, but overall, for kids the right age seems positive.

I agree with the martial arts angle whether in a group setting or with dvds. And the Cathe shock cardio mma has guys in all of them which may help him feel like it's not "girly".

Thanks for the suggestions. My son's doctor okayed the weight lifting, his growth plates are fully mature. The program he's in at the airforce base requires him to do group military drills once a week. They had the boys doing races with 50lb bags last week, so I want to make sure he doesn't injure himself. I'll take a look at the Paul Katami workouts.

Thanks again. : )

Billy Blanks Tae bo workouts are well suited for your son's age. Billy's newer dvds (post Lives) aren't as frantic in terms of pace so it's a good place to start for kickboxing. The choreo is so easy to follow too. Billy is very motivating and there's nothing 'girly' about him! His instructional tape is excellent for teaching good form on punches & kicks.

The Live workouts are nice because they features a wide ranging cast of exercisers, in various sizes, shapes & ability levels, even some kids. If you have a vcr, the Lives Basic are another alternative.

Kathy Smith's Cardio Kickboxing w/ Keith Cooke is a good one too. Simple combos and good form pointers. Keith shares the lead w/ Kathy. This dvd ALSO has a different workout featuring Michael Olajide. It's called Aerobox. It's more of a boxing/jump rope workout. It's well worth the $12.95 for both workouts.

Another alternative would be Tony Horton's programs such as P90 Masters. I find most guys like Tony's goofy nature. The choreo is simple to follow and it's structured by time or reps so you know what to expect. If you want more info on Tony, just pm me.

HTH!

The weather was too iffy to bike today, so he just did the first 6 drills in 4DS Boot Camp. He really liked it. I think I'll have him try MMA Boxing next. I didn't even think of Billy Banks, they may have that at our library. Thanks for the suggestion.

ShaunT has a set for that age range called "Get Real with ShaunT" - I LOVE ShaunT as do my kids. I got Fit Kids Club (another set of his, but for younger kids) for my daughter, and she loves the workouts. My son (now 11 years old) likes the Get Real series a lot - this could work well for your son. It's 2 workouts - cardio and strength, and it comes with some supporting materials (pamphlet about making good food choices, workout calendar). Shaun is a really cool personality with the kids - I like him a lot.

Consider also kettlebell training with AOS, Anthony Diluglio. It builds overall stamina and functional fitness, as well as heart strength and will fit into his military style routine much better than traditional weight training. Could be a lot safer too.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.