Working shoulders without working the trapezius (neck area)

cjbate

Cathlete
I hope someone can answer this who is knowledgeable about such things. Lately I have been hitting my shoulders hard b/c they are puny! I have noticed some improvement but unfortunately my trapezius seem like it is also getting bigger...not a look I want. How can I work my shoulders without hitting the traps too hard? I have a narrow frame so part of it may be that is just the way they look....

Thanks
Jen

Hey Jen ~

Sounds like you and I have similar builds. I, too, worry about overworking my traps while weight-training my shoulders. I consciously try NOT to contract my traps. I can see my reflection in my television somewhat so it's a good reminder. But maybe there's something more we can do(?). If anyone has any other suggestions, I welcome them...

~ Thanks, Kim

"Welcome the challenge...Embrace it...Don't fear it." -Cathe Friedrich

RE: Working shoulders without working the trapezius (ne...

Hi there!
Heres a few suggestions...
Try not to shrug up when doing any shoulder excercises, really focus on using the head of the muscle and not your neck. Most of us tend to tighten up there anyway.
When you are doing rear delt flyes, try not to shrug up really focus on the muscle working in your back, when doing front raises and side lateral raises do not go higher than shoulder height. Once you go past that you involve the traps.
Oh and you may want to stay away from any close grip upright rows (not sure if she does any in her DVDs as I don't own that many to know), thats mostly trap. The farther apart your hand grip is the more you work the side head of your shoulder. The closer the grip the more your traps will be involved. But again really focus on the shoulder and relax your neck.
Have Fun!
Skye

I think the two exercises that pretty much avoid the traps are military presses & front raises. Side raises, both upright & incline, will work the traps as a secondary muscle, especially if you're using heavy weights. Of course, as you've already noted, proper form is critical!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.