Working abs? Yay or nay

I'm slowly trying to introduce my aunt to Cathe and working out in general and she wants to know if she should include ab workouts right now because she has quite a bit of weight to lose. So she is wondering should she wait until she loses more weight to even include that in her exercise regimen? She's worried because she read somewhere that doing ab work while you are bigger makes your waste look huge?

I think the core area is very important on so many levels. It will make you stronger in ways you aren't aware of. Many people have back issues which can be related to a weak core. If you are worried about an increased waist measurement, more so the obliques, you can omit those side moves, but that has never happened to me. I've found the more I work my core extensively, the smaller and tighter my waist becomes. Core is uncomfortable to work, but really the more you do it the easier it is, just like stretching. I would approach any fitness regime with a balanced approach, which includes cardio, weight lifting, core work and stretching.

Last edited:
I do my ab work in my yoga routine. It doesn't seem to have bulked me up at all in the area. She might look into a yoga based ab program. Yoga helped me lose weight in general.

Alisha

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.