Will the Perfect 30 workouts be safe for those with Sciatica or lower back and knee issues?

marih

Cathlete
Hi Cathe- I have been suffering from lower back and knee pain for quite some time (was unable to order last series for the first time ever due to no stepping any longer) and I am wondering if your workouts will be safe for those of us dealing with these issues? I can no longer do V-sits, bent-over anythings and have to modify quite a bit. I will be 60 in a few months but I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet! Thank you!

I have lower back issues that come with aging. I am wondering if this is a series I will not be able to do. I can't do any high impact. I did see she is doing a low impact workout and that is good.

I think I am aging out of Cathe's videos but I still did the pre-order. I have never missed a series since Crosstrain Express so it's been a long time now.

I love Step Boss a lot now that I have the moves down.

And I hope someday we get a PHA4!

I have lower back issues that come with aging...."

Amy, we are about the same age and have been fans of Cathe workouts about as long. You always seem so sweet & positive in your comments & I feel for your pain. I used to have bad knee pain and gave up on step workouts and anything high impact. But let me share my experience in the hope it might be helpful. About two years ago ( I think now) I went lower carb at the recommendation of my doc. So I eliminated pretty much all grains and sugars, and then all processed vegetable oils as they supposedly cause inflammation. Any "itis" such as arthritis, bursitis, etc is an inflammation. After a few months of this I had many positive effects, one of which was decreased knee pain, so that I could go up and down stairs like a regular person. At last year's physical, the doc thought maybe my remaining knee pain was osteoarthritis due to excess wear/tear from sports/exercise. But last year I restarted doing some step workouts once a week or so, and could do them without much discomfort as long as I did them lower impact. This year I'm doing StepBoss on a 6" platform with no issues. And it feels great to be able to enjoy step workouts again. My previous doc and I attributed the joint pain to the aging process. My new doc and I attribute it to inflammation caused by diet. I highly recommend this way of eating, & encourage you to give a try, with the caveat that it may take some time to notice improvements as the body heals from chronic inflammation. SSL & HTH

I too am on the lower back, knee, hip pain train. I just switched my diet over to vegetarian and have noticed some positive results already. I initially started because of my inability to digest animal protein at this stage of my life, but love the way I am feeling and my grocery bill is at least $40 less a week because I’m not buying meats/poultry etc. Animal products do cause inflammation in the body, so as Debinmi mention, cutting out inflammatory foods really helps. The other thing is I modify a lot, but I’m ok with that. Sometimes my brain thinks I’m 20, and then my body says....no no no you are def NOT 20 ma’am lol. But at least I’m moving.

I . Animal products do cause inflammation in the body, so as Debinmi mention, cutting out inflammatory foods really helps.

Animal products may cause inflammation in your body, but may not be true for every body. Everyone needs to find out what works for them and what causes inflammation in their own body. For me its grains, but I couldn’t say that its true for everyone.

I agree Joe Jack. I did have some trouble with meats prior to giving up grains, but not any longer. I suspect the grains fermented in my gut causing all kinds of digestive problems (GERD symptoms, indigestion, IBS symptoms, in addition to the joint pain. It took awhile for my gut to heal with the absence of the grains and additions of fermented foods and probiotics). Thank goodness for all the benefits I derived from eliminating grains, sugars and industrial vegetable oils... all inflammatory for me. Everybody is different and only personal experiences will determine what might be causing the inflammation. I highly recommend experimenting ... maybe even trying an elimination diet like Whole 40. Please remember though you may initially feel worse before you feel better due to withdrawal symptoms and yeast die-off (which feed on the sugars and starch from grains). Best wishes for good health to all.

Animal products may cause inflammation in your body, but may not be true for every body. Everyone needs to find out what works for them and what causes inflammation in their own body. For me its grains, but I couldn’t say that its true for everyone.
No reason to come after me on this. I was merely stating that it was an issue with me and most people, but not everyone. From the little research I did and from what my nutritionist told me the TYPICAL foods that cause inflammation are sugar, trans fats, omega 6’s, refined carbs, processed meats and poultry etc. Each person has to decide what works for them and their body.

No reason to come after me on this. I was merely stating that it was an issue with me and most people, but not everyone. From the little research I did and from what my nutritionist told me the TYPICAL foods that cause inflammation are sugar, trans fats, omega 6’s, refined carbs, processed meats and poultry etc. Each person has to decide what works for them and their body.
Elizabeth, I agree. Each of us has to figure out what works best for our bodies. Most conventional meat is high in omega 6 due to the grains the animals are fed. The animals are also very distressed due to their living environments. We now try to buy grass-fed and finished beef from a local farmer who is also a veterinarian -took us awhile to find him. I've purchased free-range poultry from him too but didnt care for the taste so much (the beef is delicious). Pork and fish are other concerns as well as the processed meats from the pigs. There's a farmer nearby who raises free-range pigs - been thinking of calling them to see what they feed them. We try to get wild-caught fish but you have to watch where they're caught too. It's all a sad state of affairs for our food quality. I've tried eating vegetarian and vegan in the past, but I now won't eat soy due to the Round-up used to grow most beans, (& the risk for hormonal issues) so eating vegetarian and getting adequate/quality protein would be a problem for me since I don't eat grains now either. We have a garden and can/freeze the produce - we try to keep it organic. I'm glad to see you've experienced some positive changes and wish you well on your journey towards better health.

I have issues with sugar and salt causing inflammation in my body. We all have to search and find what works for us. I wish you both the best in your health journey. "Never give up! Never surrender"!

Science is a beautiful thing. I am so fed up with all the nutritional dogma that is tossed around these days (no carbs; high carbs; low fat; coconut oil; vegan; Whole 30; Keto Diet; Intermittent Fasting; etc etc etc. The insanity really doesn't stop.) Pub Med is a good site to really do the research on what is and is not inflammatory. Alternatively, you can travel or research around the world and observe what cultures that don't have the American obsession with food eat, and what the healthy folks are eating.

This isn't directed at anyone. I've eaten many types of diets and have conducted lots of research over the decades and have lived in many, many countries. And I am NO EXPERT, but I am convinced that eating real foods of ANY type does not cause inflammation (allergies and celiac notwithstanding), and any 'bad' foods in small amounts are very unlikely to cause inflammation as part of a broader diet. I'd wager that the obsession with food is more inflammatory than the food itself. (Another interesting scientific finding is that we absorb more nutrients from our food when we eat with enjoyment for both the food and the company.)

I don't know how my question turned into a discussion on food, but ok! haha! I guess I should have clarified I have been working out for 40 years and used to own all of Cathe's workouts at one time or another. I now only have the LITE and FTA since I had to modify so much it wasn't work keeping because I was doing my own workout. I went ahead and ordered these in the hopes that I will not have to modify so much.

I have been having muscle aches all over especially in the morning. There are some days my fatigue is so bad I can't get out of bed.

I went for advanced blood tests and all my tests for inflammation were normal. My Potassium and Sodium are low and my CK is high, I am being referred to a cardiologist because I have been having racing heartbeats and my doctor detected a heart murmur. I am scared but even more angry at my body.

So now I know it is something more than aging. I do not know what. My doctor said to continue to work out. I have been doing Imax 4 and Step Sync Intermediate at a 6 inch riser.

I do PHA 3 one half one day and the other half a couple of days later, I am using Muscle Endurance, Strong & Sweaty PHA, and Lite PHA 2. I am obsessed with IMAX 4's routines on their own, I love the ab stackers and both extended stretches.

I refuse to stop working out. I may hurt when I begin but the pain eases off after I begin. So that is all I know for now, I turned 65 and fell apart. Now I know this is more than normal aging. There is something wrong.

I pre ordered the Perfect 30 the day my email arrived and I can't wait!

I have been having muscle aches all over especially in the morning. There are some days my fatigue is so bad I can't get out of bed.

I went for advanced blood tests and all my tests for inflammation were normal. My Potassium and Sodium are low and my CK is high, I am being referred to a cardiologist because I have been having racing heartbeats and my doctor detected a heart murmur. I am scared but even more angry at my body.

So now I know it is something more than aging. I do not know what. My doctor said to continue "....

Amy, I'm sorry you're going through this but at least you & your provider are trying to get to the underlying issue(s). I'm impressed you're working out so hard. I know it's cliche, but good thoughts and prayers are sent your way ...

Hang in there Amy. I right there with you. Some days are better than others, but I always feel better after working out.

Hi Cathe- I have been suffering from lower back and knee pain for quite some time (was unable to order last series for the first time ever due to no stepping any longer) and I am wondering if your workouts will be safe for those of us dealing with these issues? I can no longer do V-sits, bent-over anythings and have to modify quite a bit. I will be 60 in a few months but I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet! Thank you!
I developed a stupid neuroma on my foot and it bothers me off and on. The way my feet are formed I can't do what I want to do all the time. I've learned to modify A LOT. You can always use the mat in place of the step, and change things to a lower impact, even if the girls in the video are jumping around.

Thanks to everyone for their input! It is nice to know I am not alone . Amy, thoughts and prayers are with you but you are a great role model for those of us a few years behind you. I have been modifying upright rows, triceps dips any forward leaning move, and a lot of the core where my back is not supported. I think some of my problems are hip related and some arthritis from prior injuries. A couple weeks back a reoccurring tennis elbow problem flared back up. It just seems like it is always something. I am now being mindful of what I do and do not do. I do plan on working out till I fall over- even if my body starts to fight me along the way!

I am 72 and have been working out with Cathe ever since I bought Basic Step at Walmart (2012) and found her website to order more. I can identify with the constant aches and pains, I have osteoporosis with low back problems and referred pain - at least that's what they call after numerous xrays, MRI's - in both thighs so I really have to modify and accept that I am never going to be able to work out like I used to. However, I agree that our bodies and minds are just too accustomed to the daily well being after working out even we are in pain - the real trick is not overdoing and disabling ourselves! I almost ordered the Perfect 30 but the word "Advanced" made me rethink it since I am only rotating/modifying LITE, S&S, ICE, FS and RWH. Will watch the videos after it comes out and reassess whether I would be able to do enough of it to justify the purchase. Best wishes to you all! Sharon

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.