Will it REALLY make THAT much of a difference?

Vickie C.

Cathlete
Anyone, please help. I can match Cathe pretty much pound for pound on most tapes, it's touph, but I can finish. I usually do 3 weight workouts and 3 cardio. I cannot get firm. I can tell that I have muscle, but my skin seems loose, and I'm very "lumpy". Will eating clean really make me get firmer and leaner? I just don't see how this is possible. I'm not trying to cop-out, or take the easy road, but I'm just afraid that if I make my food intake totally healthy and clean, I'm going to end up starving again. I was very anorexic for 7 years. Granted, that was 17 years ago, and I'm a "normal" size now (usually a 6), but as my husband says,"you're not exactly symptom free". It's my mind set more than my eating habits. I'm not physically symptomatic, but the mind-set is always there. I'm sorry to go on, but I just was wondering if eating clean is really going to do that much towards the firming up. Thanks for any input or experience that any of you have had.

Thanks, Vickie

Before we can answer you we need more info. How much do you weigh?.What is your height? Did you lose alot of weight recently? What does your typical schedule of lifting and cardio look like (include rest days)..more specific than you included..what type of cardio interval etc and length and more specifics on your weight work? How many calories do you consume on an average day? Remember lifting the same weight might not mean too much. Strength can be due to having trained in such a way as to be able to maximally recruit more muscle fibers, increases in muscle mass or both. Also if you have muscle but have fat covering it, you will need more cardio and clean eating to get rid of the fat so that you can see your muscle if this is what your concern is.Looking forward to getting more information on you. Good luck.

I can't speak for clean eating b/c I don't practice it, but I can say diet is key to getting the buff look we're all after. No matter how much muscle you have, it won't show if you have that extra layer of......dare I say it......fat. And the most effective way to get rid of fat is diet.

Eating clean won't help you with the "firming" part: only exercise or activity will do that. You might want to be sure to include an interval workout each week, as they are good for burning calories.

Whatever you do, be careful that it doesn't set off your tendencies towards anorexia (being too restrictive in your diet, exercising too much).

You also may not look as "bad" as you think you do.

There is always something out there to learn that you don't already know. Have you kept a food diary?

If you want to improve your attitude, and therefore have more to advise younger people with some day (not necessarily younger, but other learners!;)) then face your fear and look around for the options that you have not yet tried. Avoid extremes (*totally* clean).

If it sounds effective and sensible then give it a try. Food logging is time consuming in the beginning but the learning curve is very steep and you get fast at it real fast!

If you have already kept a food diary then maybe you need to brush up on nutrition facts. Reading big nutrition books can be a drag, but all nutrition books are not huge. Lots of them have charts of foods with highest content of particular nutrients per Calorie in order of concentration.

If you know that the above two suggestions don't address your concern, then be open to finding out what does. You might end up changing your tastes on appearance or even changing your focus on what is most important in life.

I went through a great transformation (still going on) and the way I started was to pray to God. First I prayed for God to give me something worthwhile to pray for. Very good thing. If you believe in a loving God then I recommend doing this. You will not regret it.

With best wishes,
Connie

Edited to add: designing your goals for your food diary is the most important part. It is best done with a professional, making absolutely clear exactly what your workouts are like. I am eating double the calories recommended by my prof'l (she did not realize the activity in Cathe videos!!) but I learned so very much through this exercise.

I have worked out consistently for almost 15 years and no matter how my cardio capacity improved or how strong I got, there were no dramatic changes in the way I looked until I cleaned up my diet. Its something I am working on everyday. I am now about 12 pounds away from my current goal weight and the main thing that has changed since I have been at this hardcore is my diet. So, in my experience, since I already workout consistently, diet has been the key to changing the way my body looks.

Thanks so much to everyone for their suggestions. I have been seriously considering a session with a nutritionist. I probably know all there is to know about nutrition, but I was thinking they may introduce it in a new light. I have never tried food journaling, to be completely honest I would be afraid to see how much sugar I consume. I do not know how much I weigh, I have not weighed myself in the last 10 years - it helps to keep me sane. My typical workout week looks like this:

Sun: Off
Mon: Bootcamp, CircuitMax or Cardio and weights
Tues: IntervalMax, ryhtmic step or step Blast
Wed: PLB or Leaner Legs
Thurs: Cardio KIcks, Kick,Punch and Crunch or cardio on;ly from Step jump and Pump.
Fri: Muscle Endurance, Push/Pull, or Supersets
Sat: Repeat of Tues.

This has been my typical workout for the past 6 to 8 wks. Before this I spent 3 month doing 90 min to 2 hours a day 6 days a week. I split in weights in the morning for 45 min to an hour and cardio for 45 min to an hour in the afternoon. I have two small boys though (ages 6 and 3) and I just couldn't find 2 hours in the day. It was making me very cranky knowing I had to fit that other workout in. I also try to change up my weight workout to incorporate slow and heavy every 3 months or so. I'm not sure how many calories I consume, if I had to guess, I would say 1800 to 2200. (That may me on over estimate though. I try to eat high protein and high fiber, but as I said before, I have a "sugar Habit". Most of this info. was for Cathy, as she specifically asked me these questions. Sorry to be so long winded, thanks again for all of your suggestions. I have a sinking feeling that eliminating the sugar is the key.

Thanks again, Vickie

Kathryn,

I beg to differ on "clean eating won't help with the firming part". When I started consuming cleaner foods and twice as much protein as I was eating before, I firmed up dramatically.

Of course, everyone is different. Clean eating and more protein, less processed carbs made all the difference in the world to my muscle definition.

I'm 43 years old, and I've lost 130 pounds. I truly believe clean eating with adequate protein and "good" fats has made a huge difference in "firmness." By all rights, at my age and with such a huge weight loss, I should be sagging all over. And yes, I've got some loose skin, but no more than anyone else my age and less than most. I can wear regular shorts and tank tops and look just fine out in public. (I even get hit on occasionally, which is fun, even though I'm not interested.)

I've never been a clean eater before. I was either starving myself on 1000-1200 calories (or even less, around 300, during my "anorexic days") and almost all "white" food, practically no protein or fat at all, or bingeing my way up to 300+ pounds on everything in sight (except protein).

For the last five years, though, I've been eating "clean," and the difference is enormous--not just in the way I look, but in the way I feel. I have more muscle, more energy, my hair is healthier, and my fingernails are growing (instead of flaking off), just to name a few "improvements."

Believe me when I tell you that clean eating is worth it in every way. It really does make THAT much of a difference.

Shari

Dear CandiK and Shari, Thank you so much for letting me know that you firmed up dramatically with the clean eating. It is one of those things that I have really thought was the key in the back of my mind, but I'm "afraid" to try it. Sometimes I wonder if I'm afaraid of succeeding. Does that sound crazy.

Thanks again, Vickie

Hey Vickie, that's NOT so crazy. I think we all have it at one time or another or with certain things. I know I did. I think we're afraid to succeed & find out we still have the same life, the same problems, the same job, etc. and no it didn't make my life perfect. I think it's a common fear if usually unrecognized.

You'll know when you're ready. I've had many false starts on clean eating, AND on other things. Eventually the right time came. And yes, the clean eating made a HUGE difference.

I just wish the right time had been a lot earlier! LOL

Take care,
Ruth:)

No. Doesn't sound crazy at all. And maybe you're thinking more like, "What if I try this and it doesn't work either...".

Honestly, I had no idea that protein and good fats could make such a difference. I went on the South Beach Diet last October for a few weeks. This diet stresses good, clean eating and no processed carbs. I only lost about 4 pounds but let me tell you, my muscle definition soared. I eat plenty all day long but it's stuff like no fat cottage cheese, lots and lots of veggies, chicken, low fat cheese, pistachio nuts or almonds. I'm almost never hungry and feel satisfied most of the time. I was a carbo queen before I started eating this way.

Just try to convinve yourself to try it for a couple of weeks.

Let me share something with you. I thought I was looking better but didn't realize how much. There is this girl where I work...perfect figure....beautiful. She came up to me a couple of weeks ago and wanted to know what I was eating and what I did to work out because she said she noticed how defined my muscles are. She's 35 and I'm 49. I cannot tell you how good that made me feel. Now, if that isn't a testament to good eating and working out, I don't know what is.

HTH
:7

Edited to say. Yes, eliminating the sugar is also key. I did it through the South Beach way of eating. The first four days were a killer but now I don't even crave it.

Vickie:

Listen, you are doing so great, you know? You have a great workout regimen and you need to compliment it with good rest and relaxation and a healthy diet, which I would not describe in terms of "clean eating," which is a term I do not like because it can be restrictive, and "restriction" is something a recovering anorexic needs to steer well clear of.

I know what I am talking about: I had anorexia from age 15 to 28 and I understand what you are feeling and fearing and what your husband says: "that you are still afflicted with the same mind set", a mind set which can still flare up and control you at times of stress, where you again begin a journey of self-punishment and restriction to regain control of your life. I go through it too.

You yourself recognize that you are a normal size now: and that is to be celebrated. I am only just accepting this about myself now, aaged 39. God, it's taken soooo long! Celebrate the fact that you are normal, and the fact that you recognize it. Also the fact that you fear restricting your diet in case you go off the deep end again. You are right to fear it. This anorexic mind set never goes away, we just learn to recognize the symptoms of its impending return at crisis points and to implement other strategies to stop ourselves from punishing ourselves for life's ups and downs.

Of all the suggestions you received, the one I like is perhaps a visit to a nutritionist. This is the most sensible suggestion. You do not need to be restricting calories at all. You do a hefty amount of extremely tough workouts each week and you need to fuel that. You also need great nutrition to fuel your mind and body to keep them alive and functioning at optimum levels, for health and happiness. What interests me is that you immediately interpreted "clean eaing " as a question of restricting calories because you fear not getting enough to eat. Stay well away from it then.

Cathe may have the incredible will power to alwayss eat the "apple"and never the "apple pie" (this was one of her defintions of clean eating): but I do not and a healthy diet allows us to not always have to resist the pie either. Apple pie is healthy and you are allowed to eat it! If you eat the apple x4 per week, you can definitely eat the pie the remaining 3 days. To eat as Cathe does (if she never eats the pie) is, to my mind, far too restrictive. Humans are programmed for pleasure you know, and enjoying a piece of pie with your husband is good for you! I'm making apple and blackberry crumble this weekend and yes, I shall definitely have some with my family. "Clean eating" aesthetes would turn in their graves, but hey, I'm pleasuring my taste buds, sharing with my family, and I'll use the fuel in Step Blast tomorrow so, no sweat.

The nutritionist wil help educate you to pick good foods in the right quantities so that you can fuel your body and stay healthy and happy. He or she will have receipes they can give you to get you started also.

At some point we have to leave behind the meaningless quest for physical perfection and accept that to have a healthy body that can do Cathe x5 or 6 per week is itself a great blessing. Who cares if we have lumps and bumps? I can do things the undergrads I teach cannot, even if I have more cellulite than they. I don't give a ****. I consider myself lucky. I do not have cancer, brain tumours, heart disease or any other terrible sickness. ( I have lumps and bumps just like you, but I look great in my clothes as a size 6 like you, and my husband loves my body regardlesss. Men don't lust after physical perfection really. ) Neither have you, and I'll bet you look great in your clothes and out of them. I'll bet your husband loves you "just as you are," to borrow a line from "Bridget Jones' Diary." Just eat what your husband has but in smaller portions to account for gender.

Concentrate on having loads of fruit and vegetables each day, adequate carbs for energy and fueling those Cathe workouts, a serving of protein at each meal, adequate sources of calcium and some fat from a healthy source each day. Don't back away from dairy either. You need the calcium it provides and the protein and current research shows that dairy can be the key to unlocking fat storge, so....! Browse receipes in books and magazines and make some of them. Don't even think about how many calories they contain, just make them and enjoy them. Food is not the enemy: it is a pleasure in life there for all to enjoy. And if we actually learn to trust our body and listen to it, it will tell us what it needs and when and can help us compensate later for the hefty, scrumptious meal we had at lunch time. Balance is key.

Good luck Vickie. And stay well away from anything restrictive: your instincts are right. Listen to them.

Clare :)

Hi Candi,

Thanks for your post...I have a sugar addiction which would kill my horse, as the saying goes. I find that it comes & goes, but mostly comes!;-)

I was thinking about trying the SB Diet for that reason alone as I have heard from other people that it worked for them.

Again, thanks for the info,
Ruth

I am not and have never been anorexic, so I apologize if I suggested something that may be negative for you. I have, however, been a binge eater and had a "touch of bulemia" (if there is such a thing) when I was a bit younger.

I don't feel like I'm restricting myself now. Heck, I even have a margueritta or two every Friday and sugar free fudgecicles every evening. Okay, I admit, I ate a bite of Haagen Daas the other day....but 99% of the time, I eat healthy. I know it's healthy for me because I feel good and have lots of energy.

I do not think Apple pie is healthy, but I will have a bite or two on a special occasion...just not the whole piece.

Clare,

I love, love, love your post - you are a legend! :) I have been having some food issues related to depression (for the first time at 35years old) and am trying to find my way back to a healthy balance with my eating. Food is there to be enjoyed - I am just trying to work through my anxiety by trying to do something more constructive than eat in a way that is not good for me.

Thanks for your excellent post - I need to read more like it :)

Liz N

Hi Clare,

I agree with Liz...enjoyed reading your post. Very well said.

By the way, Cathe does sometimes eat the pie! ;-)

Ruth:)

Hi,
Reading all your posts is very informative. But I find it VERY difficult for me to eat the "little" meals/diets that people are refering to. I am tall and thin (but with a pooch, and a bit extra on the waist) probably an Ecto and a Mesomorph since I do have muscles(not fulling showing yet) and broad shoulders. Anyway, I do eat very healthy, for me at least, cutting out sugar and drinking plenty of water, eating 5-6 times a day. But, my small meals are not always small. My appetite is just huge and a few nuts here and there just dont cut it! I have always had a fast metabolism and I think now that I've been running and lifting weights its just increased.
But from reading all the posts on here about healthy/clean eating I feel im in the minority. The things people talk about would never fill me up! But at the same time I dont want to over eat either.

Karen

Clare,
Thank you so very much for your post. I cried when I read it. It is just so nice to know that someone else knows what I'm talking about. So many of my friends have the idea that "it" (my anorexia), ended 17 years agao and I should just get over it. I know in my heart that eating totally clean would be a "jump Off" point for me. I am trying to eat better, but as you say, my husband loves me the way I am, and I'm trying really hard to get there. Thank you all for your encouragement and support.

Vickie

P.S. Wouldn't it be great to see ourselves as others do for just one day. I think it would give us all great insight into who we really are.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.