Why You Need Balance Training

forum_admin

Administrator
Staff member

Learn More About Cathe's Lift, Move & Restore: https://bit.ly/42tRZZ6
Order Cathe Balance Discs: https://bit.ly/3gIvrjY

Balance training is important at all ages, but our balance begins to decline at around age 50​

What do activities like walking, climbing stairs, bending over to tie your shoes, carrying a laundry basket, and reaching to put away the dinner dishes all have in common? They’re all a balancing act! Yes, body balance is required in every activity that we perform in our daily lives.

Our balancing abilities don’t only kick in when we try to stand on one foot or carry a full glass while trying not to spill it. Our balance is at work every minute that we are standing upright and performing all our daily tasks. Although often overlooked in many training regimens, balance training is an important skill that can improve our quality of life, as well as boost our independence and longevity as we age. Although some individuals are more naturally adept at balance than others, we must remember that balance is a trainable skill, and the more we train, the better we will be.

The goal of balance training is to force the body to stay slightly off balance while performing an exercise. This will help the body train itself to stabilize in an unsteady situation. Although lifting a knee while doing bicep curls, or standing on balance training discs while doing squats, may not seem like a huge deal, our reaction time when our bodies are thrown off balance is a key element in fall and injury prevention.

Think about it like this. You’re walking along talking to a friend and you don’t realize that the sidewalk in front of you is about to take a little dip. You stumble. What happens next? Either your body reacts immediately to rebalance and catch itself, or you fall.
Training our bodies to work in an unstable environment will sharpen our reflexes and help to prepare us for these instances where life can quite literally throw us off balance.

Balance training is important at all ages, from improving speed and agility for athletes to helping kids with a game of hopscotch, but our balance begins to decline at around age 50 and continues to decline as we age. This fact makes balance training that much more important to our overall well-being.

In my new series, Lift, Move & Restore: Functional Training for the Actively Aging Lifestyle, we will explore some balance training techniques to assist in building strength, stability, coordination, and body awareness. This type of training can help us stand taller, react faster, and improve our overall performance in fitness and in everyday life.

Forgot to add:

Cathe's Annual Spring Special Starts Now - Save 24% On All Cathe Fitness Products!
Shop Now & Save 24% - https://bit.ly/2LueOsl Use coupon code: SAVE24

For a limited time only you can save 24% on all Cathe fitness products and gear, including barbells & weights, balance discs, mats, bands, gloves, fitness socks, stability balls, Yoga blocks, 64 oz water bottles, resistance tubes, and more.

Like Quote

I was wondering the same thing. I have one board. Cathe uses 2 for squats. Since it's used to create an imbalance, I'm thinking I could try it with one foot with the other foot perched on my toes. Or maybe use 2 small pillows to create an imbalance. Will have to see how it goes. Could be my balance is bad enough to not use any board for some exercises :p

Could be my balance is bad enough to not use any board for some exercises :p
That would be me!!! I think I still have the Firm workout that went with the disc, need to
see if I can find it. Might have tossed it, cause I don’t think I did it much. I had another
disc from Gaiam, but I can’t find it, probably tossed it too :)

Yay, I found the workout!!! watched just a min or two, but they did uneven squats with
one foot on the disc & one on the floor. A little cardio too. There’s an express option,so
I might watch it tomorrow….now if I could find the other disc…..

That would be me!!! I think I still have the Firm workout that went with the disc, need to
see if I can find it. Might have tossed it, cause I don’t think I did it much. I had another
disc from Gaiam, but I can’t find it, probably tossed it too :)
What was that title of this workout?

Skills, Drills, & Thrills. About 45-ish min long…with an express premix of 20 min.
Chaptered in “sections” not individual exercises….one of the girls is a modifier…
Ok I checked my Firm collection and that's not one I ever picked up but thanks for mentioning it :)

It’s the dvd that came with the green Firm Balance Disc in a “kit”….I think I bought
everyone of those Firm kits with equipment that they put out……sculpting sticks,
jump rope, mini ball, loops, sculpting balls with straps, med ball, stability ball,
fannylifter, transfirmer,,and on & on……..some of the stuff I still have, and some gone..:)

OMG, the Fanny Lifter... memories... I actually liked that piece of equipment. It was a good substitute for the standard square step, which I now have. I also had the sculpting stick with its little removable weights on the ends. Honestly, Cardio Blast was my favorite FIRM workout. Had a little of all the good stuff, weights, cardio, floor work and core. I think a few years ago I donated all my FIRM workouts to charity. Just feel like I resonate with Cathe more.

I'm thinking I need to purchase that balance disc, though. Take advantage of her spring discount.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.