Why don't people get it???

Fit_mommy

Cathlete
Why is it okay for people to engage in non-fitness related hobbies, activities as often as they want to and be firmly committed to those activities and feel no one should question them yet I get my chops busted for feeling that very way about my exercise schedule?

Case in point: DH and I have plans with friends for dinner tomorrow night. This same couple is going to look at a couple of houses earlier in the day and one of them asked if I would be available to go with them. I explained that I have to do my work out in the morning so I will probably not be ready in time to go look at the houses although I would like to. I got the "Have you worked out 5 days this week so far?..." as if to say that's enough and blow off your work out to come with us house shopping...I promptly cut him off! Yes I have worked out 5 days this week but I work out 6 days a week and this week will be no exception!

This person is an avid bowler as is my husband. Neither will miss a night of thier bowling leagues or a tornament they want to enter unless there is an EXTREMELY good reason for it. Well, I feel the same way about my exercise!!!!

WHY IS THIS SUCH A HARD THING FOR PEOPLE TO WRAP THIER BRAINS AROUND!?!?!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!x(

Okay, rant over! Thanks for listening!:p

I don't have an answer for your question, but I hear ya!

Most people think that exercise is or ought to be an "expendable" activity. They just don't understand why I have to do it and imply that I am obsessive or selfish for making it a priority over what they think I ought to be doing with my time.

Maggie:)

I'm right there with ya! It's a hobby, I enjoy it. I think that's what is so hard for people who have to force themselves to exercise don't understand, I love to exercise, it makes me happy:) Most people get upset about that but I think it just makes them feel better about the fact that they have to force themselves to exercise.

Nicole

Those who do not find time for exercise will have to find time for illness.
-Earl of Derby-

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?uid=7738930

Many people definitely do not understand having working out as a priority, and I agree, they often hope or expect you to be willing to blow it off. I try not to read into that as a judgment about me - I tend to take it as: hey, they enjoy my company and want me to come along.

Even though we enjoy exercise, I would say it's more than a hobby. It's really a way of life. It's a way of PRESERVING and extending life! I think the best bet next time is just to say, "I can't -- I have plans" without further explanation.

Cathy :)

>>>They just don't understand why I have to do it and imply that I am obsessive or selfish for making it a priority<<<

I hear ya on that one girl! It has been implied to MANY times that I am obsessed with exercise! x( So the rest of the world can do what they enjoy as much as they want and it's fine but if it's exercise it's NOT fine!? Um....I don't think so!

>>>It's a hobby, I enjoy it. I think that's what is so hard for people who have to force themselves to exercise don't understand<<<

I think you hit the nail on the head!

>>>I would say it's more than a hobby. It's really a way of life. It's a way of PRESERVING and extending life!<<<

You are definately correct but could you imagine what kind of reaction I would get if I actually said that to someone!? They would REALLY think I was nuts!:-(

>>>I think the best bet next time is just to say, "I can't -- I have plans" without further explanation.<<<

I will try that next time but my friends are nosey and want to know what I'm doing! LOL I can see it now...I'm going to have to start lying about this just to keep people off my back! How sad is that!?
;(

To be honest with you, if this were good friends, and they were doing something important like house hunting and they asked for me to come a long, I would get up earlier or something, to get my work-out in, and go along. I tend to do things like that and be flexible, so work-outs don't rule my life.

Wendy---
None of my friends exercise so I always make it kinda a funny...
"Oh shoot Mary, I cant go I have my workout scheduled & you know how I am about those!"
Dont lie- You'll be mad at yourself
Evasiveness- isnt my thing either.....
You are who you are and remember that your friends love you so just make it all a littl more "light hearted". Thats how you seem to be anyway! :7

It is sad, Wendy-- that there isn't support.
I have the same thing with my friends..

Part of why the forums are so great is that we all support each other in exercise goals -- and in life goals, too. People here on the forums really go out of their way to give support and it's really a gift.

I have found over time friends not only give me bad reactions, but tend to minimize what I'm doing as well by throwing in: must be nice to HAVE the time to exercise. Instead of seeing that I MAKE the time to exercise -- sometimes going to great lengths to do it.

I have felt put down so many times by friends when I try to talk about exercise that I really have somewhat given up on expecting those people to understand or support me.

Sad, but true. It's really a touchy subject with a person who isn't dedicated to exercise.

Don't let it get you down! You do an awesome job sticking to your workouts. You set a great example for all of us -- and for Joey, too.

-Barb
:)

I don't know. Maybe it's me and that I really don't take any BS from anyone (friend or foe), but I do not get any flak for the workouts that I do. People cannot make me feel bad or guilty for working out. No way. I think the people around me realize this and it is never an issue. Or maybe they say things and I just don't pick up on it because, honestly, I am not changing and any attempt to try to change me is an exercise in futility.

I would recommend that you let their comments roll right off you. Life is too short to spend wondering why other people just don't get your workout ethic.:)

>To be honest with you, if this were good friends, and they
>were doing something important like house hunting and they
>asked for me to come a long, I would get up earlier or
>something, to get my work-out in, and go along. I tend to do
>things like that and be flexible, so work-outs don't rule my
>life.

I can be flexi and have re-arranged my schedule many times but in this instance it's just not that simple-not an explanation worth getting into. LOL

I don't mean to sound totally stubborn and inflexible as I'm not. I just wish folks would appreciate that what I do is VERY important to me and stop giving me flack for it, you know?

Besides, the only reason this person really wants me there in all honesty is "to run interference" between him and his wife so they don't kill eachother. They have very different ideas of the house they would like to buy so it could likely get ugly before they come to an agreement. LOL

>I agree with everyone! That is why I am glad I have found others who are in this together!<

DITTO!!:)

There's nobody I know who exercises like me!That's why I LOVE this site!!!

Amy:)

>To be honest with you, if this were good friends, and they
>were doing something important like house hunting and they
>asked for me to come a long, I would get up earlier or
>something, to get my work-out in, and go along. I tend to do
>things like that and be flexible, so work-outs don't rule my
>life.

A new house is not an event except for the couple...& House hunting takes months for most people... Its not like the gal was competing in her first Triatholon, having a baby, getting Chemo.... EVERYTHING is not a reason to drop your schedule! Thats the thinking that makes people never get it done. In my circle SOMEONE is always doing SOMETHING they want me to come along on... Thats why experts agree you treat your workout time as a very important appointment. Just my 2cents

Oh no, I'm saying don't try to explain and don't lie, either. Just keep it simple with the folks who you know don't get it. If they press you for details about what you're doing, be truthful without going there. You could say something like, "I've got a TON to do - I wish I had known sooner, and I might have been able to join you." I'm all for being flexible when possible, but friends have to understand when it's not, regardless of the reason.

>You are definately correct but could you imagine what kind of
>reaction I would get if I actually said that to someone!?
>They would REALLY think I was nuts!:-(
>
>I will try that next time but my friends are nosey and want to
>know what I'm doing! LOL I can see it now...I'm going to have
>to start lying about this just to keep people off my back!
>How sad is that!?
>;(

Edited to fix a typo!
>
>

I get around this awkward situation by not actually having any friends, so nobody ever asks me to interrupt my schedule or gives me flak about working out.;)

This is why I have learned to consider some questions yes or no. You don't have to give them an explanation, just an answer.

wendy- this strikes me as so funny. unfortunately i believe people to be very narrow minded. i went to lunch the other day with a couple of my girlfriends (missing my workout opportunity) as they were planning the next lunchdate i told them this was usually my workout time and i won't be able to meet them too often, well they both looked at each other and didn't say anything. it was the rolling of the eyes kinda look. that said they didn't understand why i just can't blow off working out and instead just go out and stuff my face...ARGHHHHHH

oh, and also one of my friends referred to me as a "fitness freak" the other day. as she was complaining of being overweight...:(

I think people just can't understand our love of this....hobby. I hesitate to even call it a hobby because I feel that it goes deeper than that. It is a way of living that you can't do without, and people just can't understand it beccause they have to force themselves, whereas we NEED to do it. I have run into this mentality time and time again. Just explain that you have your workout scheduled for that time, and you will join them when you are done. End of story.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.