Why are you NOT ordering STS?

I preordered, and I'm keeping my order so far, but if I hadn't preordered, I don't think I would order now.

Hmmm...I've almost convinced myself to cancel!:confused: (but I'm still stuck in that "I'll regret it if I do, I'll regret it if I don't" limbo which leads to inaction, so I'm keeping the order.)

I could've written your post. If I hadn't jumped on it early this year for the original presale price I probably wouldn't buy it full price later. (can't afford it for one thing) So I'm keeping it hoping when I see it I love it. If not I can sell it later and put the $$ on other w/o's or something else I need.

Thanks SNM for the response. Makes me feel right about waiting to check it out. I'm really hoping I like it.

I noticed you mentioned about a warm-up not in sync and though that is true for the video clip, it is not true for the DVD. We usually use a simple program like Premier Elements and use what are called VOB files when we make video clips for Youtube. The software quite often has sync issues. Also, a lot of the clips we show are also not final versions and have several more steps to go through in audio mixing and cleaning....

Also, you mentioned that Cathe seems like she always just counting and seems too serious. I guess that is just the false perspective that the video clips give. Remember, you're quite often only seeing the weightlifting part of the workout on the clips strung together without any breaks. When the breaks are included we think you will have a totally different perspective. Though we don’t show form pointers in the video clips Cathe does throughout the entire program. Most people will get quite an education along with some great results by the time they finish the entire STS program.

Lastly, you mentioned about how the program is structured. Meso #1 and Meso#3 actually follow the method you seem to like of alternating muscle groups. So actually, 2/3 of the STS program follows the style you prefer. Only meso#2 doesn’t, but many prefer working a muscle group to failure before moving on and this is why we have included this style in our program for one mesocycle. This is also probably the most popular method of training when it comes to hypertrophy and we think it is nice to have a mix of styles to keep you motivated and your muscles always guessing.

I'm glad you wrote about this. The out-of-synch music on the clips (for the warm-ups) was something I hadn't seen addressed before, yet was a concern for some of us who, like Cathe, are very beat-driven when doing cardio.

The clip that is now up for Meso 1 on Collage was reinforcing my perception that there's an aweful lot of counting, and not much else (actually, the first 3/4 or so of the clip. It just sounded like counting and more counting. But the last 1/4 of the clip seemed more like the Cathe I find motivational and want to workout with).

I feel a bit more confident about keeping my order! (though this may not help the OP, LOL!)

One of the problems in viewing "clips" is they only tell part of the story and often badly distort other parts. Our current video clips are also only being shown on YouTube which means both the video and the audio are of poor quality. Some of the many things that make STS truly unique is the clarity of the video, multiple camera angles and great closeups, but on YouTube you're just not going appreciate these things because the quality is poor.

Another thing you're not normally seeing on the clips is how we did the breaks between exercises. A lot of time went into trying to make the breaks as interesting as possible. STS features precisely timed breaks that increase with the intensity of the mesocycle. It is during these breaks that Cathe will do a lot of instructing and form pointers. We usually don't show these breaks on the YouTube video clips because "breaks" just don't work very well on a highlights video clip. But rest breaks are very important and perhaps even more important than the workout itself. We see tons of threads on our boards about DOMS and how people are disappointed when they don't get them. Though some DOMS are good and expected, in many cases the person simply did not have enough rest between sets and thus their body burned an inferior fuel source resulting in DOMS the next day. The advantage of STS is that all the rest breaks are precisely set for each mesocycle and all you have to do is follow along.

I like the music on STS. I found it to be "tough" music. When I lift now I'm bumping Metallica, Black Sabbath, Motorhead...etc. (the hard stuff) and it really pumps me up. I wish the music was harder on STS ha! but the current music is fine with me. I like that STS teaches you how to lift weights and it's great for those who want to get into it and learn. Cathe really pushes you. Also I don't lift any longer than 45 mins each split so I'll stop if it goes longer. My whole thing was to forget about the 1 rep max (too much to worry about and the threads here drive me nuts about it) and start with what I am comfortable with, record it and next time try to top that. For a strength training buff like me, I would definitely enjoy STS. I chose the next best thing...4DS until I can do better. Oh how I wish I could have STS!!!

Last edited:
Though some DOMS are good and expected, in many cases the person simply did not have enough rest between sets and thus their body burned an inferior fuel source resulting in DOMS the next day.
Could you expand on this a bit?
DOMS is something that is often talked about on this forum and others: the "I don't feel like I got a good workout because I didn't get DOMS" theme you alluded to here, or "What is DOMS from?" for example.

I've long felt that rest periods and between-exercise recovery had something to do with it, but I'd like to hear more about the "inferior fuel source" aspect of it.

(By the way, do you pronounce "DOMS" as a word---"dahms"---or as an acronym, spelling out each letter? The latter is how I imagine it --'dahms' just sounds odd to me;)---but I've never heard it spoken, so I don't know what the industry standard pronunciation is.).

TIA!
(And Merry Christmas!)

My whole thing was to forget about the 1 rep max (too much to worry about and the threads here drive me nuts about it) and start with what I am comfortable with, record it and next time try to top that.

I'm going to be doing the same thing.

In fact, I'm doing another program right now, and I've been good at guestimating the weight that brings me to failure in 10-12 reps (the first phase rep range) except for a couple of exercises, on which I either changed weights immediately, or indicated in my notes to increase the weight on (if it was just 'a bit' too light).

My schedule and energy level are so unreliable, I can't do anything structured, or commit to working out on certain days. I just exercise when I can. So STS just doesn't seem doable for me right now.

I have preordered everything Cathe puts out since the very first pre-order back in the day when they were still videos. (I'm thinkng it was 1997?) For the first time ever, I didn't preorder and surprisingly have not once felt the desire to, except maybe once in a blue moon just out of habit. LOL

My reasons for not pre-ordering STS:

1. Price. It's been a tough year.

2. Lack of "fun" factor. I love Cathe because she's the toughest there is and yet she makes it fun. But with all the seriousness these exude, plus the new background cast... it just doesn't strike with me as fun. Just my opinion, of course.

3. 41 DVDs. I fear it would drive me insane. So many DVDs! I'd prefer less DVD with premixes.

4. I'm more into cardio. And Cathe's cardio is the best! So I'm looking more forward to new cardio ones from her.... once she rests of course.

But I'm looking forward to hearing all the reviews. And if they are amazing, which I'm sure they will be, seeing that it is Cathe after all.... I'm sure I'll be saving my pennies.

Merry Christmas!

I preordered on the last day before STS had its initial price increase and then cancelled soon after. I'm just not focused enough to stick to a program for as long as STS is designed; and after seeing all the clips, while they look good, hasn't made me regret my decision. For me, it's just much too much.

Merry Christmas and Happy 2009!

My goodness. I was not going to click on this thread because I am keeping my pre-order, ordered on the first day, and am satisfied that I will be happy and get good results. However, I am so glad I did because SNM has posted some really interesting things here. I am very musical, and liked reading about the scoring of this. Soooo I am very ready to get these and work with them!

1- Originally wanted the audio only version.

After seeing the clips......

2-Too many one-arm-at-a-time exercises.

3-The music.

The synchronization aspect of it is awesome, but when I am working hard, I want something that is truly motivating. The music I hear in the clips, is so blah. (Sorry for the brutal honestry.)

I think the composer should have visited some live classes and listened to what is played in those classes where people are giving it all that have.

I'm sure they are very talented given the background and experience they have, but the music sounds kind of like a movie score instead of something that will make you want to work harder than you ever have in your life.

I didn't preorder, but was absolutely open to ordering at anytime during the preorder, but the clips/music haven't moved me to order.

Given the price of the set, and the very personal taste that people have in music, I would've rather had a cheaper set of workouts, with music that wasn't as expensive seeing that I will turn it off anyway if I ever acquire the set.

I was so-so on the music but I noticed in the collage clips I like the music better overall. so I guess we probably aren't hearing all of it like SNM said.

I've gotta say that I am not currently interested in ordering STS because I lift on my own more often than not (although I did FINALLY order the Gym Styles the other day to mix things up every now and then and am SO excited!) so had not previously looked at the You Tube videos but due to this thread I decided to check them out this morning. Since I like to lift heavy I think the system looks phenomenal and I think that Cathe seems like her normal, friendly self. I didn't notice any music "issues", but then again, I was focusing on the lifting more, as I usually do when I work out (unless it's like elevator music or when I'm doing cardio). So I may buy some of the workouts down the road.

several reasons

Too complicating to figure out RM1, too many DVDs, too expensive, no closed captioned, too many equipments, no modified exerciser for us beginner/intermediate exercisers to follow, etc....

LifeEverlasting mentioned working through Cathe's current DVDs, and that's where I am. I just bought 4DS, so I'm giving myself a year to really familiarize myself with everything and see how my body responds.

If STS has great reviews, and if down the road I find myself looking for something new, I may invest in it in the future. It looks fun.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.