Why are you NOT ordering STS?

Calee

Cathlete
I've decided not to preorder, but looking at the blog and reading everyone's raves, I'm having second thoughts!
I don't know that I'd be structured enough to follow the program as outlined and wouldn't see maximum results. I tend to get bored and skip around. I don't feel the motivation right now to test for a 1RM for all of those exercises, and even if I did, I don't own super heavy weights so I don't know that I'd get what I paid for. These are good enough reasons, right? For those of you not ordering, back me up; I feel my willpower slipping!
Calee

Hi Calee,

Here is what I might do if in your situation.

Order the set.

Use it as it is laid out or as you see fit.

I think STS can be a very regimental program or one to enhance one's current fitness routines.

And if there are any videos you don't like, you can bet there will be a large market at Amazon Direct or at Ebay just dying to see what STS is all about.

I am not particularly ready to do the STS program as laid out. I plan to preview certain workouts and focus on my problem areas.

Then some time in the new year I will begin to use STS as laid out.

Why not?

I've decided not to preorder, but looking at the blog and reading everyone's raves, I'm having second thoughts!
I don't know that I'd be structured enough to follow the program as outlined and wouldn't see maximum results. I tend to get bored and skip around. I don't feel the motivation right now to test for a 1RM for all of those exercises, and even if I did, I don't own super heavy weights so I don't know that I'd get what I paid for. These are good enough reasons, right? For those of you not ordering, back me up; I feel my willpower slipping!
Calee

It costs just WAY too much money!

I preordered and then canceled, because I thought about the type of workouts that really work best for me, and I don't think STS is it for me. Goofy as it sounds, a few years ago I got in great shape with the FIRM. Doing moderate weights and full-body exercises interspersed with a few minutes of aerobics really whittled the weight off me. Even just doing 30 minutes fro 4 days a week worked wonders.

Now I am doing some of the FIRM workouts again, and doing the Cathe DVDs and premixes that simulate that style of workout. I guess I get bored with heavy gym-style workouts, and come to dread them. Last night I didn't want to work out, but I did 30 minutes of (gasp!) the FIRM, and got a good workout. Tonight I will probably do a BodyMax premix. If I decide later that I want STS after all, I can always get it, it's not like it's going to fall off the face of the planet! :)

I decided to cancel my order because I am really into kettlebells right now. Its a whole different philosophy on working out and I like it. I also do better with full body routines vs. a split rotation.
Don't get caught up in the hype on the boards (easy to do). STS looks like a great program if you are into a periodization program, but you have to do whats right for you. I think your reasons for not ordering are valid. You know yourself better than anyone.

Last edited:
Hi Calee!
I am also not ordering STS at this time. I started doing Cathe in June 2008 and only have maybe half of her pre-STS DVD's. I just feel like there are so many other of her DVD's that I haven't even purchased yet, and I'd like to up my collection on those first!

I agree with another poster that didn't think STS would be right for her. I also do better with cardio circuits and lower weights/higher reps. I'm sure STS has some endurance workouts weight wise, but I'm going to sit back and read all the reviews AFTER it comes out, and then decide if it's worth the purchse some time down the line. (Not saying that a Cathe production would ever NOT be "worth" the $$, I just mean if it would be worth it for me and the type of workouts I like to do)

With that said, I think your own reasons are good enough! Just think, STS will always be available for you to buy when you're ready. If you're worried about missing out on the pre-sale price, I'm sure you'll be able to find it on EBAY someday for cheaper, or maybe even Amazon or something.

:)Christine

I didn't order because I'm just into completely different things right now - kettlebells, oly lifting, CrossFit inspired workouts and skiing and snowshoeing as much as possible now that winter is finally here.

I was a bit intrigued by the clip from Plyo Legs, however...I wonder if any of the DVDs will be sold separately.

One thing to note is that Cathe's DVDs really hold their resale value, so if you decide to pre-order and find STS isn't your thing, you woud most likely get your money back...is this helping? :)

Hey there! I am not ordering simply because I pretty much know how to design a similar program like this on my own, through my training and the specific textbooks I own and the research I have done regarding periodization. I am completely positive that I am not as good as Cathe though! I just thought I would save the money!

I am sure it will be a great program though. Good luck in your decision.

Clarissa

I really don't need more muscle endurance. That has been the focus of Cathe's workouts pretty much all along. I am interested more in hypertrophy and strength building but I don't own the proper equipment at home to really do the workout so much of what I do is at the gym (although right now I started P90X because I've been in an exercise rut). If Collage is going to offer the Mesos separately I might consider this.

I'm not ordering because
1. It is not in my budget
2. I don't like 3 day splits
3. I can never stick to a program as designed

I want it really bad but I cannot afford it right now. I'm new to Cathe anyway so I just ordered 4DS with my best friend (we're sharing). Maybe sometime in the future I'll be able to get STS. I've been looking at the P90x since it's cheaper and I hear it's very intense and just as good as STS.

I did P90x a few years ago and, while I'm glad to have done it, I did not achieve noticeable results from it, and I am not interested in repeating that kind of program. I don't really care to be the strongest I can be, the most defined, the leanest, whatever. I mostly want to keep the good muscle strength I have, stay in good cardiovascular shape, stay healthy. I'm happy with less than perfection. So I'm loving my Firms, Jaris, Kellys, etc.

I preordered, and I'm keeping my order so far, but if I hadn't preordered, I don't think I would order now.

Why?:
I haven't been excited by any of the clips except the bonus legs (10 minutes each workout?) and the plyo legs (which I'd be modifying a lot).

I find the music on most of the clips (except, perhaps plyo legs?) aweful. Not the absolute-worst music on any Cathe DVD (that was a country/Benny Hill number in the warm-up of either intermediate or beginner step), but not motivating at all (and the warm-up on the first clip seems out-of-synch with the music, something that really annoys me on 'cardio'' moves, which the warm-ups are).

As others (or is it just Beavs?) mentioned, much of it looks like more muscle endurance, work one body part to the max before moving on, work. I much rather prefer the way Beachbody programs are structured (like P90X, P90X+, CLX).

I may be wrong, but it seems like most workouts are close to an hour. I'm getting into CLX right now, and those workouts are around 30 minutes: time-efficient at a time when I need it.

From the clips, there is a bit of the "Cathe magic" missing from these for me: the new additions to the crew (the guys especially) look 'off' some how (uncomfortable? stiff? like they are posing?), there's lots of counting and not much else during moves (I don't want Cathe over-the-top giggly and joking, but a bit less serious would be nice).

I really like the weight work in 4DS, and ordered STS somewhat based on the expectation of 'more of the same, and better', but I haven't even done any 4DS weight work for quite a while. I also have a huge collection of workout DVD's that are giving me the feeling of bad feng shui!

Hmmm...I've almost convinced myself to cancel!:confused: (but I'm still stuck in that "I'll regret it if I do, I'll regret it if I don't" limbo which leads to inaction, so I'm keeping the order.)

I don't blame you Kathryn for keeping the order since you did get the good price out of it...and if you don't like it, just sell on ebay or amazon, you know?

Clarissa

1. The price; it's not completely unmanageable for me, but it definitely makes me think twice!

2. The actual program. I'm really not THAT into weights. I'm a cardiophile at heart, and I do add weights because of the health benefits, but overall, it's not something I seek out and look forward to. And I'm not crazy about splits. So far the only split workout I've done is 4DS, and it's ok, but it's not my favorite. I know I'm will not be capable of sticking to that program for one month, let alone three months.

3. I agree with Kathryn's comments about the music. I HATE it! It's awful! I think they made a huge mistake not using music in the workouts themselves and just adding it later (my theory is that this is why everyone looks so blah during the workouts). I notice that the moves are not in sync with the music, and it's horrible and annoying. Not only that, the music just stinks. It's plain, it's not motivating at ALL, it's nothing you can sing along with to distract you from your pain!

4. Truthfully, it looks like the whole series is an advertisement for Nike, which for some reason really bothers me. It's uncharacteristic of Cathe to do that in a video.

5. I've stated before that I'd have to get additional equipment (additional weight plates and dumbbells), which would cost me even more, and to be able to do all of the exercises as-is (i.e. no modifications), I'd need even more. That's a turn-off for me because I now have a much more limited space to work out in.

Overall, I just hope this isn't Cathe's permanent new direction. I'm bummed that I hear that the new calendar is all STS, and this whole year it's been all STS. For those of us who don't care about STS, we feel a bit left out. I get the feeling that alot of other Catheites feel a bit let down by this new direction, and a significant number of us that feel not ecstatic but not bummed-- that being said, there is a also good portion that are thrilled about STS, too.

But for those of you who ordered, I hope you love it! :)

MC

Ok, thanks for the reinforcement:)
Beaves made a suggestion that intrigued me though, I did see on the pre-order form that you could order seperate meso-cycles. That might be something to consider...
Oh well, for now it's out of my budget after all of the Christmas shopping and such anyway. Thanks for making me feel better friends!

I'm not ordering STS either because it seems like too much work for a home workout. I know myself and this kind of workout would not motivate me, it would make me dread the workout which would mean i would probably not stick with it. One of the reasons i workout at home is to keep things simple and flexible with my schedule.

I like throwing in a DVD depending on how i feel on any given day. I don't think i would use STS as recommended which probably wouldn't give me the best results so i figure it's just not for me. All the 1RM prep seems daunting to me (no matter how many times i read how simple it is) and if i wanted that kind of workout i would just get a gym membership for around the same price or hire a personal trainer. If i preordered, i would be impatient with the wait as well.

I think you really have to know what works for you individually and decide based on that. If you like structure and following a set plan maybe STS would work. There is definitely a big market for these types of workouts, especially after the P90X craze. It may also get more men introduced to Cathe, which is probably why there are new guys added in.

I look forward to reading everyone's reviews once they start using it.

Last edited:
STS

Kathryn, I think the problem is your looking at video clips and simply getting the wrong impressions just because of the nature of how video clips are made and seem. Just think how many times you have seen a 30 second video clip that looked amazing and then you got the video and were totally unimpressed. The opposite can also be true and it really has more to do with how the video clips are edited and what the editor was trying to show.

The music in STS is something truly special and something we along with some of the top music composers that work for companies like Universal Pictures and Disney worked very hard on. The talent that worked on the music in STS is some of the best in the music industry. Let me take this opportunity to explain how we did the music and why the music is so special.

When we first came up with the idea of STS we knew we would have a problem with the music because our customers are used to everything following a driving down beat. As a Group Fitness instructor every bone in Cathe’s body moves to a beat and a 32 count phrase. The problem is with a heavy weight workout your body slows down as your muscles fatigue. This is even a bigger problem for taller people with longer limbs.

In our health club all of our group fitness classes are done to a beat. However, people who work out on our machines also listen to music while working out, but don’t follow a beat when lifting. This presented us a problem of how do we solve this dilemma? We realized that we couldn’t play music during the filming or even use a metronome because Cathe’s instincts would make her always try to follow the beat. Since this is not something that is advantageous or even possible with heavier weights or workouts done to failure we knew we couldn’t do this. So STS was filmed totally without music during the filming. The music editors then watched every exercise and every break in the STS program and wrote music to each exercise and each break. The way the music flows with the energy of the exercise and then calms down for every break makes STS truly unique and special, but we can’t really show you that with the clips, you need to see the whole DVD.

We then did something that was truly unique with STS and that is we synced the music to all the exercises. This is extremely difficult and costly to do. Playing music as background music is simple to do and we could have done all the music for STS in less than a week at a huge savings to us. Instead, we chose the more time consuming way of syncing the music to the exercise because for our customers we felt this was important. We tested both methods, synced and un-synced, and what a difference it made when we synced the music! Now this is not always a perfect process, but it did work extremely well and we were quite pleased.

I noticed you mentioned about a warm-up not in sync and though that is true for the video clip, it is not true for the DVD. We usually use a simple program like Premier Elements and use what are called VOB files when we make video clips for Youtube. The software quite often has sync issues. Also, a lot of the clips we show are also not final versions and have several more steps to go through in audio mixing and cleaning.

Over 8 months was spent on making and mixing the music you will soon hear in STS and we will let our product quality speak for itself. No expense has been spared to make the music in STS as good as it can be. We were careful to favor musicical instruments, like Guitars, so that in heavy lifting segments you’re not really trying to find or lift to the beat. We have spent the time to sync the music to the exercise and have made the music intensity flow with what you see on the video. Now, we can’t promise that everyone will love the music, but everyone who we have shown the DVDs to, including many customers, have really liked it. We will see if your opinion changes once you heard the actual DVD discs.
Also, you mentioned that Cathe seems like she always just counting and seems too serious. I guess that is just the false perspective that the video clips give. Remember, you're quite often only seeing the weightlifting part of the workout on the clips strung together without any breaks. When the breaks are included we think you will have a totally different perspective. Though we don’t show form pointers in the video clips Cathe does throughout the entire program. Most people will get quite an education along with some great results by the time they finish the entire STS program.

Lastly, you mentioned about how the program is structured. Meso #1 and Meso#3 actually follow the method you seem to like of alternating muscle groups. So actually, 2/3 of the STS program follows the style you prefer. Only meso#2 doesn’t, but many prefer working a muscle group to failure before moving on and this is why we have included this style in our program for one mesocycle. This is also probably the most popular method of training when it comes to hypertrophy and we think it is nice to have a mix of styles to keep you motivated and your muscles always guessing.

Hope this helps to clear up a few things.

Last edited:
Nike

MC, Nike is not a sponsor of ours. In fact all of the clothes you see in STS were purchased by us either online or from stores. Cathe just happens to like Nike as well as several other brands that she and the crew wore in STS. The logos are only about an inch or less in most cases and nothing that should overpower anyone.

As for extra equipment there really isn't anything too different from our past DVDs that is required for STS except some tubing or a pull up bar that can be used for chin ups and pull ups.

I didn't order STS and have no desire to do so. I like having fun in my workouts and this just doesn't have a fun factor for me at all. It is also alot of money to spend on something that I just don't have a great feeling about. I have had no qualms about missing this boat.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.