Whos harder. Cathe or Jari Love?

Cassadine86

Cathlete
I'm previewing Jaris Ripped to the core and this woman doesn't come up for air. At least Cathe changes weight on the barbell occassionally.

Cathe. I have all of Cathe's, and S&L, RRTC and 1000. Jari is good, but not as hard as Cathe. You should try Sharon Twombly's latest one that came out last summer. That one is comparable to Drill Max.

To me HARDER is subjective to the fitness of the individual. I think they are each very different and thus all could be considered "hard" if you have not always cross trained in strenth training. "Hard" is also partly determined by your choice of weight selection.
IMO unless you are bodybuiler competing you want a variety of styles and instructors- In my collection the actual exercises vary greatly in strength training (the moves) so I can decide heavier, slower, faster etc... while still benefiting from diverse moves. Take Cathes Strength work in circuits... Its a very different experience than any of her "all strength" productions.
For me its more about the instructor... If I can handle the instructors personality & style and they have moves fairly unique then I can adjust the rest to my goals.
Just my thoughts.;-)

BTW, I go heavier than any of the exercisers in Jari's videos, because they lift to light. I like Jari's stuff, like her personality, just don't think she comes close to Cathe at all.

Somehow, Jari is more "doable". I can't figure out why with Cathe's workouts I can't do two different leg exercises in a row (i.e. lunges after squats) without taking a "vacation" as Cathe says. But with Jari's workouts I can. I don't know what she's doing differently, but it works for me. As I got older, I started to get discouraged with Cathe, but I don't feel that way with Jari. Sure, I skip a repetition here or there, but basically I can keep up with all the exercises, and I don't feel bad about myself.

And even though my workouts are catch as catch can, I'm actually seeing some muscle tone! My quads are really responding. I'm so surprised, considering how little time I have these days to work out.

I haven't tried RTTC yet, but I'm going to try it today.

In short, Cathe is definitely harder. But I'm not so sure that harder always gets better results.

Nancy

I feel like I get a better workout from Cathe vs. Jari. I always miss my Cathe workouts when I try something new. I liked Jari and I liked P90x but I can't do a rotation with just them that does not include some Cathe, I am just not happy when I try to.

Jo

They are completely different and that is why I like to do them both. The first ripped is too easy and not worth the purchase. RTTC is a challanging compound exercise routine and my favorite because I feel like I am in my aerobic zone while lifting light weight. R1000 is challanging areobically but a little light on the weight aspect. If I were to have only 2 Jari workouts, they would be RTTC and second, Slim and Lean.

Cheryl

I agree wieh Cheryl that they are completely different and that is exactly why I enjoy doing them both. My heart rate often stays steady sate with Jari and the compound work is challenging and very different from Cathe. Jari is doably challenging but I work hard with her and get sore in places that I don't get sore with Cathe. I've found that cross training is really working for me now as I've discovered quite a few instructors besides Cathe that I am enjoying and being challenged by. I don't care for the original but GRTTC, S&L, and GR1000 are keepers in my book. You can go heavier with Cathe than with Jari so in that regard, Cathe is more difficult.
Angela:7

In short, Cathe is definitely harder. But I'm not so sure that harder always gets better results.

Nancy

Hi Nancy I totally agree with you that harder doesn't mean better results. I am starting a Jari rotation tomorrow. I plan on 3 Jari workouts a week and three cardio workouts also. For my cardio I plan on my CC on the treadmill Cathe's kickboxing and riding my bike outside time to time. I have used Cathe for years and need to change things up a bit. I think if I stick with Jari the results will be great.

Have a good night

Deb

I don't have any Jari videos, never really know anything about her but she's on the front page of the newspaper today. I didn't realize that she's Canadian, from Calgary and she's in Winnipeg, where I live doing some guest appearances today and tomorrow. Kim

>As I got older, I started to get discouraged with Cathe, but I don't
>feel that way with Jari.

>Nancy

That is EXACTLY my experience. Jari just does not feel as tough as Cathe does, for me, but I think it is probably just as effective.

I absolutely LOVE Cathe and her workouts, but I purchased Jari Love's "Slim and Lean" and "Ripped to the COre" and I really love the results I am getting with them. They're very different--it's a ton of reps with lighter weights. So you don't have to worry about bulking up (for those who do worry about that), but you really get nice cuts in the muscles. The only portion of the 2 Jari Love workouts that I think don't light a candle to Cathe workouts are the ab portions--the exercises are real good, but just when you start to get a hint of a burn, they're over!

Hope this helps,

Dukechick

To answer your question, I've done all of Jari's workouts and never felt like I might not be able to finish.

With Cathe, there have been times when I didn't think I was going to make it.

They are both challenging but I always return to Cathe. Actually, unlike Nancy, I have been needing more of a challenge as I have gotten older. I am 52 and have been exercising consitantly for 20 years, 5 of them with Cathe. Each time I master one of her workouts I feel I need to be taken to the next level.

I have been alternating Cathe with Jari for about six months now and have gotten great results.

I like Jari - especially RTTC, Slim and Lean and R1000. However, I noticed after doing Jari for a couple weeks that I lost alot of strength when I went back to cathe. This may not matter to you but it did matter to me. For example, I am going skiing in 3 weeks and I need all the strength I can manage. I need it for my off road biking w/ my DH and very fit DD. so I will not do Jari w/o doing mostly cathe for strength. I will only do Jari on occasion now.

Hello,

I recently bought Jari's GRTC, Slim & Lean and GR original. I have done Slim & Lean twice. The first time, I used 20lbs barbell for legs and I did not feel it at all. The second time I use 35lbs (slightly less than what I use for ME & PH) barbell for squats and I definitely felt it. In fact, I felt it more than I ever felt it with ME, I was sweating a lot! I used the same weights as Jari for the upper body and that was tough as well.

I think if you use a heavy weight as you can muster, you will definitely work your body to exhaustion. Slim & Lean probably burn more calories than ME & PH for me.

Cathe is more geared towards heavy weight training but more does not mean better results in my opinion, and lately I prefer high reps with less weight. I'm always afraid of bulking whenever I use heavy weights and I prefer Jari's physique to Cathe's (Cathe is all hard muscles whereas Jari is slim and softer). Jari is definitely a stayer and I hope she produces more workouts like Get Ripped.

Yen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.