Which Whole grain bread is good???

Fach

Cathlete
I am looking for a good "whole grain" bread that is easily found at the local grocery store. [I shop at Publix] I read all the lables and not one is all whole grains. First ingredient is listed as whole wheat. From my understanding this is not a whole grain. Can anyone reccomend a easiy found bread please? Thanks.

Fach -

I ususally eat Ezekiel bread made from Food For Life. It's sprouted whole grain bread. Here in Southern California, they sell usually sell it at grocery stores.

I hope this helps.

Lea

Pepperidge Farm makes a few whole grain breads where stone ground whole wheat is listed as the first ingredient. You can also try Ezekiel, a sprouted grain bread that you'll find in the freezer section IF your store carries it. I like Ezekiel a lot but I rarely buy it anymore. We go through bread so slowly that I have to store it in the freezer and the bread slices have a tendency to stick together and then break up when you try to pull them apart. If anyone has a solution to this problem I'd be interested to know it.;)

ETA that I would look for the words "STONE GROUND WHOLE WHEAT" or WHOLE GRAIN.

Well, wheat is a grain. And it says whole, right? There ya go:) If it just says "wheat", then it's not a whole grain.

Wheat bread and Whole Wheat bread are two different things.

I was looking at the whole wheat breads, and found several that have whole wheat listed as the first ingregient - what got me is that the second was High Fructose Corn Syrup! WTH?

I eat Natures Own Double Fiber wheat bread. Here's the breakdown:

No artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors
100% whole grain
5 grams of fiber per slice
40 calories per slice
0 grams of trans fat
Low fat
No cholesterol

I like that 40 calories per slice!

I love Ezekial bread too and always store it in the freezer. What works for me is that before I freeze it I make sure all of the slices are not sticking together. This involves taking the bread out of the bag and manually pulling the slices apart, then putting them back in the bag and into the freezer. I've had no trouble this way although it is a bit of bother.

Randi

>I was looking at the whole wheat breads, and found several
>that have whole wheat listed as the first ingregient - what
>got me is that the second was High Fructose Corn Syrup! WTH?

Yea, you do have to choose carefully. The bread I often buy is from the Pepperidge Farm line called "Natural Whole Grain". This bread does not contain corn syrup, however there are 3g of sugar from unsulphured molasses and raisin juice concentrate. It also contains 2% or less of sugar and/or honey--a negligible amount IMO. We don't use much bread but some of the Pepperidge Farm products are top notch as commercial breads go.

ETA that the raisin juice concentrate and unsulphured molasses are the 5th and 6th ingredients listed on the label, although I'm not sure if ingredients have to be listed in order of predominence anymore;).

Randi, thanks for the tip about putting wax paper between the slices of Ezekiel bread.

Tpf, I have never seen Nature's Own brrad in my neck of the woods

I have been buying Nature's Own Honey 7 Grain. It doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup like a lot of the breads I looked at.

Check your grocery store to see if they carry some locally produced breads, usually made by smaller companies. I've noticed that they seem to have much a much shorter list of ingredients than their mass produced counterparts, and it's easier to see if you're really getting whole wheat/grain, etc.

I like Catherine clarks, but lately have gotten out my bread maker and make it at home. It takes a whole 10 minutes max to put the stuff in the maker and plug it in! This way i can put in whatever I want...or not!

I think that most grocery store breads, even those with some whole grain as the first ingredient, are not that good. One example is Bakers Inn. I bought some once in a pinch, and it is as soft and doughy as many white breads. I couldn't stand that, so didn't eat much. I kind of forgot about it in the fridge. 4 months later, I finally decided to toss it out, and was expecting a green fuzzy mess (as that's what happens to 'real' bread after that long) but there was no mold to be seen, The bread was just a bit dried up. If something can't support microbial life, how can it support human life?

The best breads, IMO, are whole SPROUTED grain breads which contain only ingredients you can understand and find on your own and are not just wheat. They are usually found in helth food stores.

Some stores like Whole Foods, etc., might have some good breads. Those that have primarily whole grains as first incredients (ideally, with no 'wheat flour" or other refined grains).

FYI: "Wheat flour" is not a whole grain. "WHOLE wheat flour" IS a whole grain.

>I was looking at the whole wheat breads, and found several
>that have whole wheat listed as the first ingregient - what
>got me is that the second was High Fructose Corn Syrup! WTH?

Good point. It's important not just to look at the first ingredient, but at all the ingredients. Wheat is a cheap grain, so it's not hard for a manufacturer to make a cheap 'whole wheat' bread with whole wheat as the first ingredient,, but lots of cheap crap that isn't good for you (like HFCS or chemicals and artificial colors) farther down the list.

For a while there I was making my own bread. I didn't have a machine, just did it the old-fashioned way. It was great! The only problem, my husband and I each gained about five pounds in two months...we had NO willpower with a hot crusty good-smelling loaf of bread sitting there on our counter, so the first loaf was usually eaten up the first day!!!

Maybe I'll try again, and stick it in the fridge THE MINUTE it comes out of the oven. You're right, it is nice knowing that you are in control of what's going into your food!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.