Which step tapes are low impact?

momof3

I am getting back into FIRM videos after a long hiatus and have heard so much about Cathe. I would like to get some of her step tapes, but am wondering which ones to get. I don't mind complex choreography as I used to dance and take step class at the gym...however, I am not able to do a lot of high impact right now. Which step tapes are more geared toward low impact?

Thanks!

Linda

If you are interested in trying Cathe, I suggest her earlier tapes. They are lower impact, but high in intensity and will really get your heart rate up. Also, she breaks down the moves so it is easier to follow. I think Mega Step Blast and/or The Wedding Tape are good ones to begin with. One word of warning though: You will become addicted to Cathe. As far as low impact, I don't think there is really such a thing as a low impact Cathe tape, but her moves are easy enough to modify.

Hello Linda,

If you can find them somewhere, the best tapes for low impact are Cathe's Home Step Workout (the aerobic section is short though, about 22 minutes) or her Cardio Step Challenge, the aerobic section is 40 min with very little high impact moves, and those moves that are high impact are very, very easy to modify to low impact. You won't have to change the moves at all except for the Jacks...she doesn't do a lot of them..:)

Good luck...

DeeDee

I've got a bunch of Cathe's tapes and found that doing the step ones without the step works well for my bad knees. I also modify the plyo-jacks and lunges as needed.

Thank you for the recommendations! I think I'll try the Wedding video and Mega Step Blast and keep an eye out for the others also. One day I'll be stronger and able to do more high impact stuff. :)

I just wanted to second the suggestion to not use the step in order to go easier on your knees. I have not been using a step for the past 4 to 5 weeks, and I'm really noticing a difference.
I have also been keeping my workouts almost entirely low impact. I have found it pretty easy to modify Stepworks, PowerMax, some of Stepfit, and Allstep and Step and Intervals (both from the CTX series). I have found it more difficult to modify cardiokicks and CircuitMax. However, if you put some time into it, I believe any of cathe's tapes can be modified to low impact (as long as you are not using the step. I haven't tried it while actually using a step.)
Sometimes it is frustrating to have to come up with a modification, but modifying Cathe to low is still so much better than suffering through a low impact workout made by most anyone else! (No offense meant to other instructors--please, if you know of an intense, well instructed low impact tape, I'd love to know about it!!)
Wendy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.