Which Glucosamine ????

I went to Walmart the other day to buy some and there are 3 different kinds. One with glucosamine & chondroitin,,,,one with glucosamine & MS something, and one with all three.

Which one will help my knee pain???

thanks,
Tracy

Hi Tracy,

I've used several different brands (usually motivated by $ and/or coupon), but I really favor "Flex-A-Min" which is Glucosamine/Chondroitin w/MSM

Donna

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-02 AT 10:47AM (Est)[/font][p]I used glucosamine chondroitin a few years ago when I experienced hip pain caused by using my Nordic-Track too much for long periods of time. It took several weeks of taking it but it really made a difference! You have to follow the dosage directions too, I had to take it several times a day as I recall. I'm by no means an expert, but your knee pain may not be a joint/cartiledge problem, you could have an injury that needs a doctor's attention. Just a thought! Hope it feels better!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-03-02 AT 12:40PM (Est)[/font][p]I must admit -- I don't know much about Glucosamine. I looked on the internet for my husband's aching knee, and I found out that you want to get Glucosamine Sulfate... that's the one they used in research. The other one Glucosamine HCI is not, and therefore, the results is not known.

I get them at www.ImmuneSupport.com. They carry several different kinds -- like you said it's confusing...

Haslina

I'm not sure why it hurts, but i'm assuming its because i've been stepping only for about 2 months. I've tried to find some
hi/lo tapes, but i cant do all that high intensity jumping. ( my pc muscles are shot from childbirth). Soooo,,,i've only been stepping. And, another thing,,,,it doesnt really hurt. It's just kind of a nagging uncomfortable feeling in my left knee. Any ideas ??
Tracy

Hi Tracy,

The first time I heard of Glucosmine & Chondroitin was at the vet's office! Our lab puppy was diagnosed with hip dysplasia. He recomended a minimum of 1500 mg of Glucosamine & 1200 mg of Chodroitin. He suggested that this supplement have Calcium & Zinc in it as well. I found one that includeds vitamin C in it.

"Rudy" has been on it for 9 months. We REALLY have seen an improvement. After seeing his x-rays I believe he could have been alot worse. He just has a slight limp. (We call him our "Limpador.)

So....I started taking it. My one knee would cause pain during squats & lunges. It took about 4 months for the effects to start. I have NOT had any pain since. I take the recommended dosage. I do buy a pricey brand name label.

Hope this helps!
Laura

Tracy:

My understanding is that glucosamine sulfate in combination with chondroitin and MSM is best and that a new study indicates that the spice turmeric gives an additional boost to the therapy. I would think a good health food store could give you info on dosage of all ingredients. Turmeric and MSM are cheap on their own, so watch out for over-inflated prices on combos.

If you're feeling discomfort when stepping you could be beginning to have patella tracking problems--discomfort comes before pain on that one in my experience.

The ingredients you mention are sometimes said to prevent deterioration of cartilege and sometimes said to promote its regeneration. Either way, you should get relief. I have used these things with a lot of success and I've been doing Cathe workouts on a knee with almost no cartilege for many years. Good luck.

--Ann

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.