WHEY PROTEIN

eloise

LOOKING FOR PROS / CONS OF USING WHEY PROTEIN POWDER FOR AFTER WORK-OUT DRINK AND RECOMMENDED BRANDS. HOW MUCH WHEY PRODUCT SHOULD BE USED PER DAY FOR OPTIMUM BENEFIT?

protein shake

Hi,

I was recommended to check out bodybuilding.com by another member on these forums. I found a wealth of information on that site. They have tons of articles, products, etc. I hope that helps.

I've read that post workout is when you should have your heaviest carb meal. Because real food is better than supplementing, I try to have a real meal post workout with a good dose of protein and healthy carbs.

I usually have a whey protein shake in the morning before I workout or at night after dinner if I'm hungry. The whey protein absorbs quickly so it's good for these uses.

I've also read that it's good to drink protein shakes after a workout to get the quick protein. But if you do drink a shake post workout, I would also add some carbs.

Optimum Nutrition makes a great protein powder. BSN's Lean Dessert is also yummy.

I will sometimes drink a protien shake post workout in a 2:1 ratio -- 20 g of carb (chocolate milk) -10 g of protein (GNC or Dymatise Whey protein powder).

I prefer to get my protein/carb post work out from real food, but depending on when I work out and how soon I plan to actually eat food after sometimes it's just easier to do the shake -- and it is good for quick absorbtion.

Real food is always best, however, it is wise to get a fast digesting protein in within one hour after a workout, whey being the fastest digesting. Immediately following a workout you need simple or fast digesting carbs. This is important for recoverery and rebuilding glycogen stores. Then get your protein. Optimally you should not have more than 1-2 protein shakes a day. Also, remember to get protein at every meal (I eat six times/day: every 2-3 hours) Your highest carbs should be early in the day. Slow digesting carbs like brown rice, high fiber pasta or oats are good. Fruits and veggies with any meal, too. Keep carbs lower in the latter half of the day.

Whey concentrate is the best value for what it does. If you are sensitive to it (bloating, etc...) choose whey isolate. Much easier to digest!

Hope this helps!

Davina

PS -- Bodybuilding.net is a great forum like this one and is full of great information without all the advertising on bodybuilding.com.

Real food is always best, however, it is wise to get a fast digesting protein in within one hour after a workout, whey being the fastest digesting. Immediately following a workout you need simple or fast digesting carbs. This is important for recoverery and rebuilding glycogen stores. Then get your protein. Optimally you should not have more than 1-2 protein shakes a day. Also, remember to get protein at every meal (I eat six times/day: every 2-3 hours) Your highest carbs should be early in the day. Slow digesting carbs like brown rice, high fiber pasta or oats are good. Fruits and veggies with any meal, too. Keep carbs lower in the latter half of the day.

Whey concentrate is the best value for what it does. If you are sensitive to it (bloating, etc...) choose whey isolate. Much easier to digest!

Bravo. This is great advice.

The bodybuilder take on this question would be that you should focus on getting about 20 gms of protein every 3 hours. I have been working with a trainer for 3 years (who has a body like Cathe, only a little more muscular) who is constantly on me about protein intake. I also notice the same thing in bodybuilding magazines like Oxygen and in Tosca Reno's book Eating Clean (or Clean Eating?) I have been told that post workout add a teaspoon of glutamine powder for recovery. I absolutely love the Lean Dessert Protein by BSN...the great thing about it is it gives you a lot of calcium also. I do know that every woman I know who has a body to die for eats small meals all day with lots of lean protein (shakes, chicken breast, egg white etc.) I find it difficult, I always eat too many carbs and have to constantly recommit! Hope this helped.

I ditto everything jlongo said. Great advice! It is important to eat every 2-3 hours and consume proteins and carbs with each meal. It is vital to consume protein within 1 hour after lifting. My preference is whey protein. Also it is important to replenish your glutamine levels for optimal results. I subscribe to Oxyegen mag which I highly recommend. I also follow Tosca Reno's Clean Eating and Bill Philip's Eating for Life. Bodybuilding.com is very informative website.

Has anyone here read Nutrition for Serious Athletes and/or Advanced Sports Nutrition, both by Dan Benardot? How about Nutrient Timing: The Future of Sports Nutrition by John Ivy and Robert Portman. I searched "nutrition for athletes" over at Amazon.com and these books got strong reviews and SOUND promising. I also posted about these on the Open Discussion board. Anyone?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.