Where to start

Debra G

I have worked out for 20+ years, doing various programs. Looking for something new. I am now 53, menopause has not been kind; I have been thin my whole life until now. Need a solid workout plan to help me trim down and stay focused. High impact is out. Body responds better to low impact with intensity. Would the ICE series be a good choice?

Hi Debra, When I starting working out with Cathe, many years ago. I was at my all time high of 250pds When my doctor told me to stop losing weight at 150pds I have not drop another pound, I have not gained any either. I love doing all of the low impact series and Cathe has a lot to choose from. My favorite thing to do now is all of Cathe's kickboxing, it is a sweat fest when I am finished. I like the new Ice series, I was hoping for a little bit more advanced workouts, this is a good series to start out with. Of course Cathe is getting it done with these workouts. I like that Cathe is my age and I can keep up with her. With Ice you can modify any of the workouts that you want to and build yourself up to advanced. I have a bad back and pushups are the hardest for me to do. I can hear my back popping with every one of them that I do. I get on my knees and use my coffee table to do them, it works for me. You can use the monthly rotation as I do or go to Workout Manager and pick one of the monthly rotations. Cathe has all of the dvds on demand, you don't have to buy any dvds now. Working out five days a week helped with Menopause, at least it did for me. Best wishes!

Last edited:
HI Debra,
I think if Low Impact & High Intensity is what you crave, then the Low Impact Series would probably suit you best & Cathletes get excellent results from it. I would also throw in SuperCuts from Xtrain as a low impact get-alot-done type of workout that will burn fat.
The beautiful thing about ICE series is that it truly gives many options for shorter workout options (which I love), although there are some very high-impact portions of it. At least, I felt so. As Boomer already mentioned to you, you can try everything out first OnDemand and find out what you are into.
When you say you were always slim, were you someone who erred on the side of slim & responded quickly to weight training? Just wondering which body type etc. you are. I find different women respond to different kinds, volumes etc. of training & of course, it changes throughout life. I am not menopausal myself, but I am running into this type of thing lately. I am not seeing any extra benefit from working out more often, so I am going to cut back my schedule to four days a week & do more walking. My waistline responds quite well to grounding & de-stressing self care activities like walking outside. I also do some pilates, as boring as it can be usually. Also, have you been making any nutrition changes along with your change? Eating enough, including good fat, magnesium etc.?
(Sorry if I blabbered about there ....) ;)

I have worked out for 20+ years, doing various programs. Looking for something new. I am now 53, menopause has not been kind; I have been thin my whole life until now. Need a solid workout plan to help me trim down and stay focused. High impact is out. Body responds better to low impact with intensity. Would the ICE series be a good choice?

Hi Debra,

ICE & the Low Impact Series are progressive series that will give you results without the high impact. RWH also has a Low Impact HiiT that caters right to you. I recommend you utilize the iron to help you "trim down". Metabolic conditioning workouts like Athletic Training, AfterBurn & SuperCuts are highly recommended. Elsie above mentioned SuperCuts too. Nutrition is also important, so keep on eye on that and the proper amount of shut eye. Good Luck

HI Debra,
I think if Low Impact & High Intensity is what you crave, then the Low Impact Series would probably suit you best & Cathletes get excellent results from it. I would also throw in SuperCuts from Xtrain as a low impact get-alot-done type of workout that will burn fat.
The beautiful thing about ICE series is that it truly gives many options for shorter workout options (which I love), although there are some very high-impact portions of it. At least, I felt so. As Boomer already mentioned to you, you can try everything out first OnDemand and find out what you are into.
When you say you were always slim, were you someone who erred on the side of slim & responded quickly to weight training? Just wondering which body type etc. you are. I find different women respond to different kinds, volumes etc. of training & of course, it changes throughout life. I am not menopausal myself, but I am running into this type of thing lately. I am not seeing any extra benefit from working out more often, so I am going to cut back my schedule to four days a week & do more walking. My waistline responds quite well to grounding & de-stressing self care activities like walking outside. I also do some pilates, as boring as it can be usually. Also, have you been making any nutrition changes along with your change? Eating enough, including good fat, magnesium etc.?
thank you. I will respond in more detail this evening

thank you. I will respond in more detail this evening
HI Debra,
Lots of great information. Thank you. Yes I agree, I also am not seeing benefit for excessive workouts. I love walking outdoors, used to run, but too hard on my joints and prevents me from being able to lift weights at times. For the most part, I eat well, lots of veggies, fresh fruit, lean proteins and grains - some dairy. Mostly greek yogurt with berries. Stopped drinking milk, and drink small amounts of almond or coconut milk. I supplement when needed with BiPro unflavored whey protein - great quality, made in the US, no harmful chemicals or ingredients. Sleep is somewhat disrupted now and stress is always running in the background. I am very aware of self care, prayer and worship, breathing, and have regular massage and chiro appointments to keep things "loose"..haha! So that's pretty much ME in a nutshell. I had a fluke heart attack 4 years ago...no known health issues, no high blood pressure, no plaque or blockage - an artery that wripped (very rare). Fully recovered, released to workout with no restrictions. I am a survivor:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.