When You've Finished STS...?

ro'connell

Cathlete
I'm just starting Meso 3 of STS for the first time and am starting to think about what to do when I'm done. I think I'd like to take a break from heavy weight training for a little while, but still try and maintain the muscle that I've gained.

To those of you who've been here before, what have you done that has been successful (and what hasn't)? And to those of you who are here with me for the first time, what are your plans?

I can't wait to read them!

~Rachel

I posted this in our STS thread, but I thought I'd ask it here too. I'm considering doing a modified pyramid with STS. I'm currently doing the last week of Meso 2 and I'm loving STS so much I hate to quit after Meso 3...and yet I miss my other workouts (especially my circuit ones!). Does anyone think it would be okay to pyramid back to Meso 2 and Meso 1 but alternate weeks with circuits/kettlebells? I was thinking after the rest week from Meso 3 I'd do one week of AWT/kettlebell type workouts, then one week of Meso 2 and continue alternating until I get back to Meso 1. I was thinking I'd still take a cardio only ("rest") week after finishing Meso 2 but it would take twice as long to get there.
Is there anything that would be unadvisable about this approach? Would there be any good benefits other than satisfying my craving for both types of workouts? Thanks for any input!

You won't lose your strength so quickly, no worries! Unless you completely stop lifting and eat too much junk. I feel lost and little *verklempt* at the end of STS, especially when I finally snap Disc #36 or #40 back in the case.

I usually don't take rest weeks (and that is just me) so I continue on by doing all my full body workouts every other day until I go through them all alternating with Hiit, kickboxing, and Interval Training. I'll do this for at least 4 weeks until I've reacquainted myself with my older workouts. Then I'll do 4 weeks of kettlebells (RKS, Skogg and AOS) alternating with 3 full body workouts a week. Finally, I move into upper body/lower body splits utilizing the premixes on my dvd's from Cathe, or classic weight lifting using my gym and plate weight (and yeah I'm jamming the music).

My body responds best to changing things up. I'm concentrating on full body workouts right now, alternating with interval training and Hiit. I can't get enough of Athletic Training, Cardio SuperSets and Afterburn, those 3 have me whittled down. I'll probably start up round 6 of STS in spring to coincide with mountainbiking in the evening.

Thanks for your response DirtDiva! I'm hoping I'll be able to satisfy all my loves by doing this modified pyramid down!:D I just wasn't sure if there was anything about the different styles of training that would cause problems if I alternated like that. I always feel like I have to give all my workouts a "little love" if I've been away from them too long!:p BTW, congratulations on doing STS 5 times! That's impressive and really speaks well of STS!

Last edited:
Good question!

That's a really good question! I had been planning on doing a LIS / STS rotation but I have begun to rethink that. I have been tossing around doing a 6 week or a 9 week rotation. It would be 2 or 3 weeks of the Gym Style workouts, 2 or 3 weeks of Pure Strength, and then 2 or 3 weeks of Slow and Heavy workouts. If I did the three week option I would use the fourth week as a recovery week.

I was also going to build up three or four weeks of STS workouts (by using the workout manager and the option to create my own workout and then adding in the exercises used in STS) that will count towards redoing all the 1RM tests. I guess I will do that one no matter what!

Another thing I have thought about is doing a month of total body work outs. Then I read about that one lady who posted a question to Cathe asking what she should do to get a body builders body. I will have already completed the STS portion of Cathe suggestion to her so maybe it would make sense to continue on with the rest of it. Finally, I thought about doing the STS pyramid too. So many choices!!!!

I know what you mean about missing the circuit workouts. It's very difficult to find a slot to put those into when you are doing STS. I was thinking about doing Chest & Biceps on Sunday. Legs on Tuesday and then Shoulders & Back on Friday so that a circuit workout could be done on Wednesday.

Btw, congrats on making it to Meso #3! This is my final week of Meso #2. I better decide on something soon! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.