When to eat carbs?

l23

Cathlete
I've read in a few places that "diet gurus" recommend you not eat your carbs after a certain time. These times have varied from not eating them after lunch to none after dinner. I'm hoping they mean no "empty" carbs, like cookies or chips, because I can't imagine eating no carbs after lunch!

Has anyone tried limiting carbs after a certain time and seen a difference? I thought a calorie is a calorie, whether it be a carb or not, so why shouldn't you eat carbs at night?
Just wondering!

PS- I know that Oprah's diet guy says she can't eat after like 6 or 7pm. She was complaining about it cause sometimes she gets home late and forgets to eat before the set time, so she "extends" the time deadline a bit and has something.

Here's one thing on the subject.

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/nocarbs.htm

As far as not eating them late in the day, I have some research on that too, I just have to find it. I stop eating everything at no later than 6 p.m., and preferably like 4 or 5 p.m. In the past year, I probably have consumed something later than 6 p.m. maybe 4 times. I know this is unrealistic for people with families. I think the theory is that the metabolism slows down in the evening and so consuming (refined) carbs causes them to go to fat storage. Unrefined carbs, such as fruits and vegetables, probably not so much.

K60 did provide some great reading. I'm still trying to get through Postexercise macronutrient oxidation: a factor dependent on postexercise macronutrient intake and all of it's references.

I think I'm backwards. Mainly because I eat most of my calories at night. And when I sleep, OH MY! I can put down 800 calories depending on the intensity of the day's exercise. I did try to change around my eating to be more "normal" and I failed miserably. I got physically ill (in the morning) and very grumpy. Plus, my digestive system took a beating.

So for me, I'm just the opposite. I don't eat until noon, then I don't eat until dinner, then bedtime, then at 2:00 AM. If I've had a tough workout then it's lunch, bedtime snack (usually because the exercise kills my appetite), and 2:00 AM.

I guess that if you can do that and not suffer any side effects by getting ill or tired or grumpy, then give it a try. If you do suffer from side effects, like I did, listen to your body and fuel it the way that it's telling you. As always, empty foods or refined carbs need to be avoided, but others . . . eat them if your body is telling you too.

Do what is best for you, if you can do it and you start to see result, GREAT! If not, listen to what your body tells you.

Just my opinion.

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

I'm probably going cause a rumble here, but here is my common-sense theory:

If you consume 2000 calories in one day, and you burn 2000 calories in one day, what the heck difference does it make what time you consume the calories? You are still burning 2000 calories.

I find the eating late at night thing is more of a problem for those who tend to consume "extras" above and beyond your daily needs and meals late a night, like unhealthy snacks, chips, etc. If you are consuming "extras" late then it clearly is not going to help you reach your goals. But, if you are consuming part of your daily needs late, then I do not see any difference between eating those calories late as opposed to before a certain time.

Just my ideas!

Cruncholi

Cruncholi...
I totally agree with you. In fact, I really believe that they way you eat should be hinged on your goals.

Me, personally, I eat for performance. I like to be strong and at my best in all my workout endeavors, so if I am to do a long run in the morning, I will eat heavy carbs the night before. Now, when I say "heavy", I mean maybe an extra serving of pasta or something with my dinner. If I know I will not be working out until noon, maybe weights only, I will cut much of the carbs out of dinner, other than a salad. You NEED food to fuel your muscle.

One thing wrong with that article is that they don't tell you about glycogen replacement. Assuming you are working out hard and especially if your workouts are long, you need to eat within about 2 hours after that exercise effort...and YES you DO need to eat carbs!!!!!!!!! Carbs replace the glycogen that has been depleted from your muscle and this process is what gives you power in your workouts!!! HOWEVER, the calorie burning, metabolic bonus that that article speaks of is true..the longer you wait before eating, the better for the metabolic effect...SO....You should eat a HIGHER carb, moderate protein snack or meal within 1 and a half hours after your exercise to maximize metabolic rate and therefore calorie burn AS WELL AS to maximize glycogen restoration for your next workout. Please don't ignore this because it is essential for endurance performance..Isn't it better the harder you are able to workout??? Also, the harder you are able to push in your workouts, or the longer, the more total calorie burn..and if you wait that next hour after, you will also see the additional calorie burn as a result of the metabolic rise that you have accomplished!!!! The best of both worlds!!!

Too many calories equals too much fat on the body and that is it!!! It really does not become important as to when you eat what unless you are a fitness competitor or something with such low body fat that you cut carbs to discourage the aesthetic "bloat" that carbs cause.Really...don't worry about it!!!!! Eat for PERFORMANCE and you will almost automatically lose weight!!

naughtoj, thanks for some very interesting info! I always get confused about this, though, and I'm hoping you can give me some insight. Ok so say you plan to get up in the morning and do S&H Legs&Shoulders. Can you give me an example of what you eat the night before, if, when and what you eat before the workout and when and what you eat after the workout? Can you also give me the same examples, only change the morning workout to a 3 mile run? Sorry to be so clueless but I'm really trying to get this all together so I can see great results. Thanks!! :)

Just wanted to let you know that I lost about 8lbs by not eating carbs at night. It wasn't even intentional. I would buy those small pizza shells from the store and top them with vegetables, tomato paste, and some feta cheese, I would do this most evenings. I then got addicted to these frozen butterball chicken breasts and started to eat one of these every evening with a tomato and over a period of about 6 months I lost this weight. I really had to think about what made me lose this weight and it came to me that I had swapped carbs for protein at night. I am a healthy eater, but I eat sweets every day and I like to have a couple of glasses of wine at night, so I do have my weaknesses. I don't need much variety so I can eat the same thing over and over again. Now I eat a variety of soyburgers each night with a tomato cos I prefer the way my body looks, and if I go out to eat I eat whatever I want. If I eat pizza at night I can go the gym and I will actually weigh one pound heavier the next day, just thought I would throw in my 2 cents here.

Ok, I've got a question . . . what is being defined by carbs.

When I use the word carbs, I think of whole grains and whole grain pastas, beans, lentils, nuts & seeds, veggies, and fruits. The other stuff is junky icky stuff.

I'm curious because when I read when people use the word carbs they are usually talking about sugar, flour, etc. Is that how the word carbs is being used here?

Thanks.

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

When I come in from a tough training run, I reach for carbs and I reach for carbs which are high on the glycemic index like a banana. Right after exercise muscles are most receptive to producing new glycogen (stored carbohydrate). Muscle cells are also more sensitive to the effects of insulin during this time, and insulin promotes that storage of carbohydrate. The average person, and persons who are obese, certainly wouldn't want to eat what I do, but I work out not just to be slim and to feel great but to perform well at my athletic endeavors. I eat 60 percent carbohydrate, 15 percent protein, and 25 percent fat give or take. Fruits and veggies and whole grains make up the crux of my carbs. I recently had the opportunity to chat with a nutriton professor at the U of A who does the diets for Olympic atheletes and mainstream nutritonists still like the high carb diet. And while some people have a tendency to overeat later in the day, keeping your calories intake and output in balance is the key. You gain body fat when you at more calories than you burn. Period!

Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule!

Malissa...
Yeah, what Bobbi said!!! Actually, I eat very similar. The high glycemic index thing that she speaks of is very true...those foods you avoid the rest of the day are the ones you should be taking in right after your workout. Of course, they are not the ONLY ones, but as Bobbi said, they will be broken down and utilized quicker than lower glyemic carbs.
Very technical but, if I were to do a S&H tape, I would eat a pretty normal dinner..meaning moderate complex carbs...the kind Keta speaks of. But if I were to be running, I would eat a greater portion of those same carbs ( or maybe sneak in a low fat dessert and not feel guilty about it :) ). I would not pig out, but I would eat in proportion to the mileage I expected to put out the next morning. If I was really pushing myself, lifting HEAVY weight on the S&H, I would probably opt to eat a piece of fruit, such as a banana or apple, about an hour before I worked out with the weights. If you are planning a tough effort no matter what you are doing, you do not want to be trying to drive your car without any gas..get it?? The rest of your meals should be balanced, somewhere near the ratio that Bobbi mentioned. Good Luck on figuring it all out!!

But, please, oh please,whatever you do, don't cut out all carbs if you are trying to run...this is not good!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.