When do you let older video's go? What do you do with your old tapes?

I have 18 good vidoes (20 after two of Cathe's new one arrive!) that I rotate along with running. My question is what are some of the guide lines you use to determine that it is time to retire that video to the back of your closet along with your older/too easy Denise Austin and Jane Fonda tapes.

What do you do with your old tapes? Copyright tells me that they really are too old to donate to the library (I'm a librarian). Not only that, fitness has changed a lot in the 15 or so years that I have been a video exerciser.

Just curious

Just wondering if anybody had any opinions on this.

Only if I don't like them

If you only have 20 videos, I wouldn't be at all concerned at this stage anyway.
wink.gif
There are lots of us on this forum who have HUNDREDS!

I will get rid of a video (exchange it on the VF Exchange or sell it on eBay) if I end up not liking it. For videos I've outgrown because they're now not advanced enough for me, if it's a video I liked when I was using it, I'll usually hang on to it just in case I ever have an injury or illness or need a very light day due to soreness or whatever. Kari Anderson's "The New You" or Jane Fonda's "Light Aerobics & Stress Reduction" are good examples of this.

agree with Pamela

Hi,
I agree with Pamela, unless they were a complete turnoff, I would keep them. I gave some of mine away and regretted it. Unless somebody pays you a decent price for them, I would keep them even if I had to pack them in the closet.
Just my opinion.
Lisa

I trade them, or they collect dust

20 videos! I wouldn't worry about that at all! At last count (and I'm afraid to count now), I had about 150 . I don't even want to venture a guess as to how many I have now. I'm just glad that Cathe has started to come out with DVDs or I'd have absolutely NO room to store any of the new ones!

The ones I don't care for or I get tired of, I put on the exchange. I really should consider selling them on ebay, since none of my videos are heavily used (except for the PS series). Like Pamela, I keep some of my easier ones for illness or injury recovery.

Kristin

You never know...

when you might want an easier vido again.

I agree with Pamela and Lisa, it's best to keep them (so long as they aren't dreadful) just in case. Last year I fell off the side of a swimming pool (a 4 and a half foot drop) and had to go very easy on the exercise for about a month, and boy was I glad to have those old videos I hardly ever do! And, like they say, 20 barely counts as a collection, and certainly not as a waste of space.

Also, I figure some of those easy videos might be just right in the early stages of pregnancy!?! So, think twice before you get rid of a valuable resource, you might not be able to find them again, later, if you change your mind.

older videos

If you still enjoy them, keep them: as long as you have fewer than 50 (you could go higher, but I'm trying to keep you from being in the same situation I am in at currently 100---that's CURRENT count, I've gotten rid of a couple of hundred through the years, so if I had kept them all, I'd have about 400 now!). Things to keep even if they're a bit old: routines that you like, with music you like, but that may be beneath your current level. You never know when you'll have a low-energy day, or be recovering from illness or injury, and be thankful that you have a video to do, rather than just doing nothing because your advanced vids are too advanced. Things to get rid of: videos that you have "because it would be good to do XXX", but that you somehow never get around to (my XXX seems to be yoga and method tapes). How to get rid of them: try Ebay. Just be sure to set the price accordingly (I price older videos at $1 or $2 to start out with...it's up to the bidders whether they want to go higher than that.) Make sure the buyer pays shipping. You may not "make a killing", but I see it as a "win-win" situation: someone gets to try a tape for cheap, and you "recycle" some older tapes to make room for newer ones.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.