When did it become acceptable to...

Coworker got lapband - she "gets her protein in" by eating Special K bars, drinking Slim Fast, eating Goobers (that have "5% protein" in a bright yellow banner across the front of the box) - she feels she is doing herself well with the 1200 cals she eats daily and getting her protein in.

I'm sure all of those packages (and not just the Goobers!) promote the protein content of the 'foods' (and I pput it in quotation marks on purpose) inside. (What the Goobers package doesn't say is "5% protein, 40% sugar, 40% fat, 15% artificial colors and flavors and crap created in a test tube).

One of my favorite is Lucky Charms. It claims Whole Grain on the front of the package. And in the first 5 ingredients, there are 4 sugars.

That is a shame

...eat several burgers or entrees at lunch? A couple of times this week I have been out much of the day and not been prepared enough to have packed a lunch. I love the McDonald's grilled southwest chicken salad so that's what I have been choosing. Anyway, it is fascinating to watch people choose their fast food meals. The majority of men eat two or three sandwiches in addition to their fries and beverages. Even some of the women are eating two sandwiches or entrees, of course with fries and a beverage. It seems that if something is on the value menu and is $1 that means you should have several???? I had no idea this sort of thing was happening:confused: The calories in one sandwich, along with the fries will pretty much put you over your daily calorie budget, but 3 sandwiches in unfathomable.

:stepping off my soapbox:

Shayne

I would be embarrassed personally...but then again I don't eat fast food either. I don't like it. My home cooked renditions taste way better. Well, I don't think it is a good idea either, but what can you do? Some people seriously don't care or they can't afford to eat better.

There are many ways people impede their health and food has become one of them - who would have thought that could happen?

Here I go again...

I'm sure all of those packages (and not just the Goobers!) promote the protein content of the 'foods' (and I pput it in quotation marks on purpose) inside. (What the Goobers package doesn't say is "5% protein, 40% sugar, 40% fat, 15% artificial colors and flavors and crap created in a test tube).

Ya know what is a shame with that? The person is missing out on the vital nutrients you get from fresh vegetables and fruit, the amino acids in meats/fish/poultry, the fiber in grains, and the benefits of dairy products. It is like people are brain washed on the easy way out: "I got my protein in, hardy har har." Well, the human body needs a lot more than that to function.

These idiots have no clue about what they are putting in their bodies and then they cry about how fat they get. I am sorry to go off, but seriously???? We have the technology. We have the knowledge. We have the responsibility to find out and look past the easy answers and educate ourselves on what we really should and should not eat. To me it is simple: shop the perimeter of the grocery store - that is a start. When I first got into healthy eating it took me all of 5 seconds to look it up online. You cannot possibly tell me that these very same people don't already surf the net during work and they can't take 5 and look up nutrition while they are at it. I think they can.

The reason why I get so mad about this is because once we have an epidemic (and I see that since 1 in 3 Americans is now obese, so it is an epidemic), the government makes it political, gets involved, further screws it all up, and uses our tax dollars to pay for it. So ultimately, I get involved whether I want to or not.

Ok, that was my rant on this page. Goodness...what has gotten into me?

I hope you're joking when you make a statement like this.

According to research, there is an increase in a blood coagulation factor (facgtor VII). In addition, the blood vessels do not dilate normally after a high-fat meal.

Not exactly unbiased or scientific sources.
Do a review of the medical literature. A few examples of support though results are subject to interpretation:

"...Our findings confirm that high-fat meals cause immediate activation of FVII. The clinical implication is debatable because FVII activation was not accompanied by an increase in plasma F1+2 concentrations in patients with severe atherosclerosis. However, a local thrombin generation on the plaque surface cannot be excluded." Source

Nitenberg, A; Cosson, E; Pham, I. Postprandial endothelial dysfunction: role of glucose, lipids and insulin. Diabetes Metab. 2006;32:S28–S33.

Bae, JH; Bassenge, E; Kim, KB; Kim, YN; Kim, KS; Lee, HJ; Moon, KC; Lee, MS; Park, KY; Schwemmer, M. Postprandial hypertriglyceridemia impairs endothelial function by enhanced oxidant stress. Atherosclerosis. 2001;155:517–523.

Ceriello, A; Taboga, C; Tonutti, L; Quagliaro, L; Piconi, L; Bais, B; Da Ros, R; Motz, E. Evidence for an independent and cumulative effect of postprandial hypertriglyceridemia and hyperglycemia on endothelial dysfunction and oxidative stress generation: effects of short- and long-term simvastatin treatment. Circulation. 2002;106:1211–1218.

Last edited:
I hope you're joking when you make a statement like this.
??

Anesthesiologist Dr. Michael Klaper observed that blood taken after patients consumed high-fat meals showed thickening.

In addition, from http://www.highlighthealth.com/tag/high-fat-meal/
"High-fat meals have a negative effect on endothelial function, causing endothelial dysfunction, meaning there is less elasticity of blood vessels and reduced blood flow. Endothelial dysfunction is a marker for cardiovascular disease and can lead to atherosclerosis or high blood pressure, increasing the risk of heart disease and stroke."

This also addresses effects on blood of just one high-fat meal: www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2007/04/24/fat-diet-bp.html

Even if there were not scientific evidence for the short term consequences of the fast food, the long term effects are very scary. Many of us are in our 40's. This is old enough for us to now see our age group start seeing the effects of what this type of diet does to you.

One thing to remember is that athersclerosis(sp) starts in the womb. So what you eat, even at a very young age makes a difference. If you have this genetic component(and how do you know, we don't test babies), then you are writing a death senctence consistently eating this stuff.

The girl I mentioned in my class...has 2 uncles that have died of heart attacks in their 40's, and her Dad who is in his 40's has heart disease. Talk about denial. Because she is thin, she thinks, not me.

Maybe I should thank my tendency to gain weight. It made me search for healthier foods at a young age because of vanity. It helped me find a lifelong love for exercise. It is my everyday struggle, but at least it has taught me good habits.

My DH decided he would do the grocery shopping yesterday. I have no fresh veggies or fruits, dog and cat have no food, but now we have a ton of junk food. Even my DD said, oh my gosh Dad, WHAT were you thinking. So today I need to go get the stuff he neglected to get. He sheepishly looked at it all and said, I guess I did go overboard. It is all so readily available and appealing in the store.

When I first got into healthy eating it took me all of 5 seconds to look it up online. You cannot possibly tell me that these very same people don't already surf the net during work and they can't take 5 and look up nutrition while they are at it. I think they can.

5 seconds or minutes? I wish it were that easy.:( I've spent hours/years trying to figure this out and I'm still learning. Our family physicians are clueless and they have a medical degree!

Do you really think nutrition is that easy in a world with grocery stores with processed food falling off the shelves? All claiming to be fortified with essential vitamins and minerals.
As Kathryn pointed out, food producers spend billions of dollars on advertising.

Let's look at whole grain for a moment. How many loaves of bread claim to be whole grain? I think Lucky Charms, Trix, Cocoa Puffs claim to be whole grain..... or Wonder bread iron for kids. How many parents fall for that?

Dairy products? Do you know how many hormones are shot into the cows to mass produce milk? Same with meat. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to purchase hormone free meat?
What about the mercury scare with canned tuna? How many people stopped eating tuna for fear of mercury poisoning?

What about canned veggies and fruits?
High Fructose Corn Syrup is all natural, made from corn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEbRxTOyGf0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt564Q

We all know that HFCS causes you to hunger more. How many people fail on diets because they can't control the hunger? How many people blame themselves not knowing the very diet food they are eating is making them hungrier?
Sugar is in everything and often in sneaky ways. How many names are there for sugar? It's mind boggling!

The latest craze on food labels are claims of "O trans fat", yet the food contains hydrogenated oils?:confused: So you think your avoiding trans fat, but you are really not. I couldn't understand how this could be?? Apparently, the government allows a certain percentage of trans fats. If the percentage is low, it can be labeled zero trans fat.
OMG, look the the salads at fast food restaurants! They are loaded with sugar, fat, and hydrogenated oils. :confused:

I have family members who are completely lost when it comes to nutrition.
I would not call them idiots. They don't know where to begin.
How many newbies come to this forum and ask what clean eating means?
How many answers are there? Really. There are many people who think they are eating healthy, but in reality they are not.

I agree there are people who do not care. I think the majority of people honestly do not know how to eat.

Last edited:
Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine is biased?
Totally. Doctors in general are as ignorant as the general public when it comes to nutrition. They are the ones who have been pushing the low fat thing and ignoring over consumption of sugar and processed, refined foods. As a result, the population gets fatter and fatter by the year.

Kathryn, of course I could point to articles demolishing the idea that eating healthy fats leads to thick blood and artery cloggage, but what would be the point? You will refute my sources in the same way that I refute yours. We're all able to search the web to find articles to substantiate any point of view really.

Don't get me wrong, though - I do not eat junk food or fast food, trans fat or many sweets. I just don't believe that dietary fat is the big evil that it's been made out to be for the last 50 years.

Totally. Doctors in general are as ignorant as the general public when it comes to nutrition. They are the ones who have been pushing the low fat thing and ignoring over consumption of sugar and processed, refined foods. As a result, the population gets fatter and fatter by the year.

You don't think that is generalizing and stereotyping? I agree that most conventional doctors don't have much nutritional training in medical school or even in continuing education in their practice unless they have seen the difference diet can make in preventing and curing disease.

Naturopathic doctors (N.D and NMD) for example have extensive nutritional training in school.

The Phycisian's Committee for Responsible Medicine is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting preventive medicine through diet and nutrition.

I guess I don't understand, you say you don't eat any junk food, why do you get so upset then? No one says all fats are equal. But even healthy fats in excess are not advisable either.

Last edited:
Kathryn, of course I could point to articles demolishing the idea that eating healthy fats leads to thick blood and artery cloggage, but what would be the point? You will refute my sources in the same way that I refute yours. We're all able to search the web to find articles to substantiate any point of view really.

No one specified good fats vs. bad fats, but it seemed obvious based on the discussion that preceded your reply to Kathryn. Or maybe I assume too much? :confused: With regard to the discussion in this thread and the reserarch articles shared, "there are immediate ill effects of eating a high-fat meal. The blood thickens and does not flow as easily as it should" seems accurate. You replied "I hope you're joking when you make a statement like this". Do you have gold standard research disproving the high-fat meals discussed in this thread cause the ill effects mentioned?
I do agree not all fats are created equal and good fats are part of a health promoting diet.

The latest craze on food labels are claims of "O trans fat", yet the food contains hydrogenated oils?:confused: So you think your avoiding trans fat, but you are really not. I couldn't understand how this could be?? Apparently, the government allows a certain percentage of trans fats. If the percentage is low, it can be labeled zero trans fat.
Yes, the government allows 'rounding down' when calculating transfats, and fats in general. So if something contains less than .5 grams per serving (and that's important as well), the manufacturer can claim "0 Transfats per serving" (and often that 'per serving' IS in smaller letters).

One very blatant example of misleading the public, IMO, is with PAM spray. On the label, it says "0 calories per serving". How can something that's pretty much all fat have "0 calories"? Well, look at the "serving size." On some types, it's "1/3 second spray" (does anyone USE only a 1/3-second spray?) and on others, like the organic one, it's a humanly impossible "1/5-second spray". Try to spray it for 1/5 second...I dare you! LOL! If there are fewer than 5 calories in each serving, they can round down to 0.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.