What's your preferred variety of apple?

Biteset

Cathlete
Yes, I'm seriously asking this question.

I'm a big fan of apples with cheese or nut butter, but sometimes I don't want the add-ons--I just want to eat an apple. That is, I want to eat a TASTY apple. I've eaten incredible Fuji apples, only to be disappointed by the next batch I buy. Same with Galas. The only kind I know I'll like every time is a new organic kind called "Honey Crisp", but those are dreadfully expensive.

Apples, honestly, bore me. Other than that, they're great, right? A nice "clean" thing to eat. When they're yummy, they're REALLY yummy. But when they're so-so...BORING!!!

I did a search on the forums here, before posting this question, to make sure it hadn't been asked before. Only came up with references to apple shaped bodies and butts, lol!

Gisela

Well, I hesitate to enter such a controversial thread;) , but I've had pretty good luck with galas. I love washington reds, but sometimes they seem like they're all peel or something. I recently tried a 'honey pear' which looks like a huge yellow apple, but was totally grossed out with it. I find that apples are more interesting for me to eat when I cut them up as well(a trick I learned from my sister).

carolyn

The only apples with any taste and that I can stand are Braeburns. And even then, any degreee os "mush" to it and it's straight in the trash. I really miss English apples, Coxes, such flavour and crispness. Sigh.

Clare

Gisela,
I have 2 favorites. Honey Crisp is one of them. My other favorite is Pink Lady. You must try a Pink Lady! I think if you love Honey Crisp, you'll love Pink Ladies.
Good luck!:)
Deb

Gala apples are my fave.

Debbie

Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
--Family Guy

Honeycrisp all the way, but I will give Pink Lady a try now that Deb suggested it. They are probably cheaper. :) Honeycrisp gets pretty expensive sometimes, but ooooooh, they are good!

Marcia.

It amazes me how the variety and availability of apples has increased over the past 10 year. I love early macs, so tart, crisp and yummy but I also love mitsous, like a cross between an apple and a pear. I love cooking with russets but there not available for very long.

Take Care
Laurie:)

Any apple tastes great with fat-free carmel dip;) Definitely a Washington red delicious fan here.

I know exactly what you mean! I would eat apples since they were tolerable and I knew they were good for me, but never really looked forward to them. Last year, when I started shopping at Whole Foods, I couldn't believe the variety-I thought the only apples in existance were Red Delicious, Granny Smith and Golden...boy was I wrong! If you can find them, try Jona Gold. Even my DH will eat them....and they may have just changed my mind about apples forever. I almost understand a certain celebritiy's decision to name her child after one! :)

I seem to have inherited my Pappy's taste for Golden Delicious, but overall, I'm really an apple slut.

As long as it's tart-sweet and crispy and juicy, I'm easy - haha!

I've never tried a Pink Lady or Honey Crisp though. Do you have to get them at an upscale grocery store like Whole Foods?

Susan L.G.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.