What's your preferred variety of apple?

The only place I can find the Honey Crisp apples right now is my local Walmart. This summer I could also find them at Kroger but they aren't carrying them right now. They are seriously expensive compared to a lot of apples but the only one I can just set down and eat the whole thing. I had been eating Granny Smith because I can't stand even a slightly mushy apple but I like the sweetness of other apples and I decided to give the Honey Crisp a try and it's just amazing.

I love Gala, Fuji and Red Delicious.
I tried Pacific Rose and they were WAY WAY too sweet and almost had a fake sweetner taste *yuck*

Empire apples are very good - crisp, tart and definitely not mealy.
I'm not sure if they're only available in NY state though...

I like almost any apple, but not the really tart ones. Delicious are probably my favorites. Lately, I've just been getting whatever is available organic in my local market (which isn't much, unfortunately: months of Delicious, followed by months of Fuji, and now back to Delicious again. (I don't know what I'd do if they only had Granny Smith...those I don't like except for baking: too tart for my tastes).

>I tried Pacific Rose and they were WAY WAY too sweet and
>almost had a fake sweetner taste *yuck*

I've actually seen apples in a local store called "grape apples": apples with fake grape flavor infused in them (and fake color and maybe some sweetener. Way to ruin a perfectly healthy fruit!)

Fuji fan here. Sometimes I will go to the farmer's market near my mom's house and there is a stand that sells really delicious fuji apples. Yummy:9 .

Lea

I don't see any mention of my favorite eating apple, Winesap. I think it's an old fashioned apple that doesn't have a great shelf life, so you don't see it in grocery stores. I get it from a local orchard. For baking, Macintosh, hands down.

Well it depends on the time of year. In August ... it's Paula Reds. September -- Macintosh and Cortlands. October thru winter -- it's Rome Beautys or Ida Reds or Golden Delicious or Granny Smiths. I agree, they have to be crisp and flavorfull!

>I've actually seen apples in a local store called "grape
>apples": apples with fake grape flavor infused in them (and
>fake color and maybe some sweetener. Way to ruin a perfectly
>healthy fruit!)
>

Eww! I bought these once and they were yucky! When I bought them I didn't realize that the flavor was infused to the apple with some awful candy grape taste. I mistakenly thought it was a new hybrid until I read the fine print. They were expensive too! I think they called them Grapples (long 'A').

Anyway my favorites are gala, fuji, empire, and golden delicious. Apples are one of my favorite fruits. I eat at least one a day.

So many to choose from! As you can see, you will have to try them all and decide for yourself:eek: But with PB on 'em, who cares :9

My favorite apples are the ones from my neighbor's tree. I have no idea what they're called, but they are fabulous!

We were invited to Copia, which is like a food and wine museum in Napa, California. When we were there we attended a lecture on apples. One of the interesting things they said was that if you take a seed from an apple and plant it, you will have a different kind of apple than the one that the seed came out of. The only way to repeat the same variety is to graft the tree. Which is one reason there is so many different varieties of apples. We got to try several varieties. It was fun. We also attended a lecture on distillation and got to taste a fine scotch. Liked that one too!

>I don't see any mention of my favorite eating apple, Winesap.
>I think it's an old fashioned apple that doesn't have a great
>shelf life, so you don't see it in grocery stores.

I used to make juice of carrot, celery and winesap apple. I haven't seen winesaps for a long time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.