What's the wierdest thing you've seen at the gym?

LOL these are pretty funny. I used to belong to an all women's gym in Boca Raton, FL. Let's just say the people there had more money than sense. I would do body pump classes and there were about 4 or 5 50+ ladies who would come in with a different coordinated outfit each time, full makeup, very bad facelifts, obvious boob jobs, fake tans, fake fingernails, gaudy jewelry and horrendous dye jobs. They would chat the whole time throughout the class and barely lifted any weights and had terrible form. It was definitely more of a social outing for them than it was about exercise. My girlfriend and I would crack up and just roll our eyes.

Another experience was not at a gym, but at a spa I go to. I was relaxing in the ladies hot tub (in a separate hot tub/spa area) and this lady comes and gets in the hot tub BUTT NAKED and starts up a conversation with me. It's allowed at this particular place but it freaked me out so bad I just had to leave - definitely couldn't relax with a naked lady yappin at me. :)

This thread *is* amusing. Call me evil, but I got a good chuckle out of the 15yo who took the header off the tread.

Most awkward thing I witnessed was when the lone, creepy, pasty guy in yoga class once let one rip.

Cathy :)

>At the first gym (and the last) I belonged to, I witnessed the
>owner (who also happened to be a popular dentist in our town)
>get busted by the cops for peeping at the women in the tanning
>beds. The cops pulled him out of the closet next to the
>tanning rooms. It was chaos! I guess they had to catch him
>in the act. I was so disturbed I never returned and that was
>in 1994. :)

OK, that's seriously disturbing but I would have LOVED to have been there to watch that (expletive) pervert being dragged away by the police }(.

At my gym the owner had to put up a special notice reminding people to use one-towel-per-person. I was thinking WTF when I first saw it (I mean doesn't that go without saying?) but apparently groups of students from the local university were sharing ONE towel between all of them for weights/cardio. I guess they were really serious about conserving laundry detergent. Sick!!

BTW, this thread has me howling. The gym scene can get really wild, eh?

These are just too funny!!
I belong to a college fitness center so I work out near alot of students. I see girls in the yoga class that put their mat right in front of mine and then stare at themselves in the mirror the entire class.
I constantly see guys that are using momentum to lift weights that are way too heavy for them.
Years ago my girl friend and I were in a spa locker room in Las Vegas when a woman near us was parading around without a stitch on then sitting on the bench and slowly applying lotion all over. EWWW!! We couldn't get out of their fast enough. Maybe I am just too modest. And is it just me, or does that not seem very sanitary?
Gin

Years ago I got tired of the "meat market" gym and just bought my own equipment. If I want to work out "commando" or yell, grunt, pass gas I can. I can jam to my own tunes.

I've never understood the makeup thing when you're working out. When I work out, I sweat big time.

People buy all sorts of stuff new in January when the resolutions are made, you can usually pick it up real cheap at the first yard sale in April.

I LOVE this thread. Ok, here goes:

I had an older woman (probably in her seventies), come to my step class every week. She had obvious knee problems (looked like severe arthritis) and was very frail. She ALWAYS used 3 (!!!) risers with her step regardless of what I said. Then after class she would proceed to tell me that I needed to make the class easier!!

My sister and I used to attend a yoga class in Baltimore. I remember one time this lady walked in and sat right next to the mats (the mats were HUGE, like 5 by 7) like a guard dog. When it was time to get our mats, she jumped up and ran to get hers and just watched everyone get theirs VERY carefully. For the rest of the class she kept inching away from everyone and kept loudly sighing with annoyance. Apparently she didn't want anyone's mat touching hers (there was very little room in the class). It's so weird to do yoga and be so mad and territorial??!!

At another gym, we (my sister, mom, and I) would always see this woman working out in one of those rubber suits with a hat on. I know that people do this to lose weight quicker (but really lose water), but I swear this woman NEVER lost weight! In fact, it looked like she was gaining! She was at the gym everyday like this! We always looked for the lady working out 'incognito'.

Carolyn

LOL Carolyn! I don't remember the mat lady at yoga. I do remember the guy who snored during the last half hour (which was meditation in corpse pose).

And I do remember that lady in the rubber suit! I remember that one time she kept a towel over her face the whole time. So wierd!

Also, do you remember your gym at Fort Benning? One time when I was visiting you, we went there and there were these two women in very skimpy, eighties style exercise clothes. I think one was wearing a thong leotard! Eeeew!

Amy

Oh man, the good old rubber suits! That's hilarious--yeah, they really work.......:p

I forgot about the Russian sisters.......I think I mentioned them before. They're in their late 50s/early 60s & are apparently very very close. They blow me away b/c they hop on the leg press w/more weight than I do.

Anyway, one day they both came in w/bruises & stitches all over their faces. One had about 6 stitches running from her cheek to her lip, both had really swollen lips, one had a huge black eye. Naturally we're all speculating about what cosmetic surgeries they both had. For a week we're trying to figure it out--eye lifts? Collagen injections? What?

Someone finally asked them. Turned out they'd gotten into a really bad fight & beaten the he!! out of each other. :eek:

>Someone finally asked them. Turned out they'd gotten into a
>really bad fight & beaten the he!! out of each other. :eek:

This is just too funny. Thanks for the laugh.:7 :7

Not really weird, more irritating.
I was a new manager at a Gym in Southern California many years ago. A few guys would come in pay for a year and never show up again. Their wives would call for them; I guess the old manager would say they were there, but busy. I let the wives know that they came in once to pay for a year but never returned.
I didn’t stay at that job long, but I would bet those guys did not renew their membership there....

man wearing jeans and dress shirt running bare foot on the treadmil -NASTY, . . not a fan of seening men's feet toe jam and nails curled under.
a used maxi pad in the womens shower - really, . . really NASTY i mean come on garbage PLEASE!!!!!

Ok, I'm getting some great afternoon laughs with this thread. The Russian sisters, OMG...

I don't have much to add to what's been said but DH has some very "interesting" locker room stories from our local YMCA. Apparently old men are not that modest - walk around the locker room without a stitch on, sitting on the vinyl couches (ewww!) and he even saw one old guy blow-drying his scrotal region......'nuff said...blech.

Ok, even better, he was in the showers and the gent a few stalls down (not full stalls, only partially walled) was, *ahem*, washing himself and got a tad carried away with the scrubbing if you get my drift. Yep, had him some fun at the expense of other members hearing it all. Reminds me of a Robin Williams comedy routine about men,showers, and soap....he said "soap...is such a slut!" LOL:eek: Needless to say, my DH made a bee-line out of there! It is so funny to hear him tell those stories to others, though.

The worse thing I have encountered is when some people have particularly active sweat glands - the machine is drenched, the floor around the machine is pooled with sweat, and sometimes even when they are pumping their arms, some flies my way...GROSS!x(

Funny Thread:D :D

I haven't been to the gym in years either, but I did have a couple of wierd things happen:

One guy--a complete stranger--got on the stairmaster next to mine and proceeded to tell me about how he became really constipated and how he resolved the problem. If I hadn't been so anal (no pun intended) about finishing my alloted time on the stairmaster I would have left sooner.

Another MAN (and I emphisize man) told me when I was pregnant that the pain of childbirth was all in a woman's head and could be 100% avoided with the proper mindset. I've done natural childbirth with the breathing and have still never experienced such pain in my life. I wanted to clock him--he was so smug about it--like he knew--puhleeze.

Maggie:)

Just a side note but I most often go to the gym in full makeup because I am coming from work where it is expected to look a certain way. Not all women going to the gym in full makeup are full of themselves or aren't willing to work hard. I typically run 6 miles at a time at the gym and go to a spin class.

Off my defensive mode now:)

At my gym I have seen a gentleman in a striped sleeveless top with 70's roller skater shorts with one of his legs stretched out above his head with a full-on view of his nether region. It was rather repulsive. All I can hope is that he didnt realize he was giving everyone a seventy year old peep show.

In addition to the Russian sister image, the rubber suit "incognito" woman had me laughing too. Those things are still around??

This thread has been the highlight of my day - thanks!

Heidi

Once a man on a bike next to me blew his nose in his shirt - more than once!

And once a guy walked into the ladies showers pretending to be lost. I saw him later walking around the lobby pretending to be looking for the men's (clearly marked) locker room.

Nancy

I haven't actually worked out at a gym since butt-floss leotards were in fashion...so...BUTT-FLOSS LEOTARDS.

I used to work out at a gym in Florida where an exotic dancer would occasionally come in. She'd had a MAJOR breast enhancement (and I mean BIG BIG BIIIIGGGGGG)! She'd have on her headphones and would actually sort of dance between sets. No pole-dancing, mind you, but it was dancing nonetheless. With her humongous ta-ta's, every guy in the place had their eyes glued on her and didn't give a hoot about their workouts anymore.

I also once saw a girl dressed to the 9's (designer-type workout clothes) with her hair all done up and in full makeup. She "attended" a step class, but after a few minutes started making her rounds around the gym, talking to all the men. She obviously wasn't there to exercise...she was shopping for a boyfriend or husband. I think she made it back to the step class for the cool down.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.