What's the difference in Cathe's videos?

I used to exercise to the Firm from the early 90's until 1998. I got pregnant and stopped. Haven't started again, but I want to. My question is, I'm new to Cathe, and I've seen her shows on FitTV, and I want to order some of her DVDs. I sent away for a catalogue and I am overwhelmed by the different groupings they come in. Example: Harcore Series, Body Blast Series, Intensity Series, etc. Can someone explain to me what they are, do they exercise the body differently, what are the differences of all the series? I'm an extremely out of shape woman now, and I know from reading reviews from Collage Videos that most of her DVDs are really hard. Can someone, on top of explaining what the different series are tell me what do you recommend for a beginner? I am interested in losing about 30-35 pounds and I think I want to really focus on muscle building, although I don't want to look like those women body builders you see on those competitions. I just want some really good muscle definition and to lose some inches all over and also lose weight. I want to switch from the Firm to Cathe this time around, so I would like some info from you all who have been exercising with her what I should start using as an extreme beginner and work my way up. I have weights up to 15 pounds, some fanny lifters, a Firminator with plate weights that I can easily use as barbells for awhile anyway, and two 2lb weighted balls. Thank you to all who reply to my questions. I have been contemplating this for almost a year now, and I think NOW is the time to get started. Again, thank you for all your help.

Hi Dorothy Anne,

If you go back to the main forums website and look under the "Video and DVD Rotations" section, Cathe has a rotation posted for beginners, where she lists some good workouts to start out with. I think that most people start off with the Basic Step and Body Fusion DVD's as cardio. If you like kickboxing, you might also want to try the Kick, Punch, Crunch workout, which is really fun.

One of my favorite all-over weight workouts is Muscle Max; it's intense, but you work all the major muscle groups, and Cathe is so positive and encouraging in it! Your dumbbells would work fine for it.

I've only been working out with Cathe since earlier this year, but I'm already hooked on her! I think you'll really love her workouts!!

Good luck!
Leanne

When I started with Cathe earlier this year, I bought a set of stuff sold at Target that came with a smaller circuit step and several DVDs -- 3 step ones, a strength training one, and a stretching one. I believe it was $59.99.

I would suggest that you purchase something like this...
http://www.shopcathe.com/Original_Health_Club_Step_Starter_DVD_Value_Pack_p/1011starter.htm

Eventually, you will want the full sized step. This is the big one and it comes with some great starter workouts. I would recommend springing for this one right off.

Basic Step, Body Fusion, and Low Impact Step will keep you busy for a few weeks or months, for sure. Definitely check out the beginner's rotation and go from there.

Good lukc!

I think you could get away with purchasing any of Cathe's DVD's, but would have to modify most, if not all, of them. My first Cathe workout was Step Blast. I thought I was in pretty good shape, but I could only do the warm-up and part of the first rotation before becoming totally winded. So, I simply just did a little Cathe at a time until I'd built my cardio capacity enough to tackle the ENTIRE Step Blast workout. The day I got all the way through was a proud moment for sure. Only later did I find out that this one was one of her more complicated workouts! So, you see, I started off with the "big guns". :)

To this day, I have trouble getting through an entire Cathe workout, as she's filmed them. I end up having to modify her higher-intensity choreography to some that's less intense. For example, I usually modify "ponies" to step-kicks. Hops and jumps often become step-knees or step-touches. I'm still getting a great workout, but this allows me to exercise longer and lessen the possibiilty of injury.

With all that said, I'd recommend her more basic DVD's such as Basic Step and Body Fusion, or Low Impact Step.

I can't really offer any more in the way of the great advice you have already gotten, but allow me to add that you have made an excellent choice in joining Cathe.

I never thought it was possible to get a health club quality workout in the comfort of my home, until now.

I agree with the post that said you can use dumbbells for Muscle Max, I do, and wow, did I feel it after!

Jerry

First Cathe DVD I bought was Core Max. I knew very little about Cathe, but after I got the DVD (and LOVED it), I went to her website and was hooked.

I ordered a step from CollageVideo.com that came w/ Cathe's Basic Step and Cardio & Weights on one DVD. I don't recommend this option b/c eventually you're going to want Cathe's Basic Step/Body Fusion, and/or Imax2/Cardio & Weights, and then you'll have duplicate workouts on separate DVD's.

My two cents: Order the step starter pack direct from Cathe: comes w/ full-size step, Basic Step/Body Fusion, and Low Impact Step/Total Body sculpting.

View the workouts a couple/three/four times until you're familiar w/ the choreography, and build up from there.

Good luck, and congratulations on becoming a "Cathe Convert"!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.