What was your first workout tape?

My first exercise video was also the one Cher/Keli Roberts. I'm not at all embarrassed by that, though. I actually look back fondly at it (but not enough to keep it in my collection; it got traded long ago). I just got a flashback of Cher's outfit, which was pretty funny.

Shelbygirl

My first ones were one by Goodtimes video with a Debbie K teaching it. I can't remember her last name but she was blond & kept going Woo! It's was very easy. I also got the Cher video with Kelli Roberts teaching step & then their next video. Even back then, I had to modify these tapes & make them harder. I jumped all my Step knees for extra intensity & whereever I could I would try to add intensity.

Marla

The 20 minute workout. I recorded them off the TV and do it while my children were sleeping in the 80's.

Joanne

I started out with It Figures (Charlene Pricketts show that used to be on lifetime) and Cynthia Kereluck's show. My first actual video was the Original Taebo series.

Mine was a step aerobics video with Cher led by Keli Roberts. A lot of "taking it from the top" but that was the order of day back in 1992. It did succeed on hooking me on step and Keli is a very credible instructor. As I recall Cher wore a black leotard version of her famous "cutout" gowns. Gotta love Cher!

Yes, I had that one too. I believe Cher was wearing black lingerie in parts of it. And fishnets. It was ... interesting. Keli Roberts is a great instructor though.:)

Well, I bought a Jane Fonda tape for my sister on her birthday, and then I would borrow it. She did a chicken move where she placed her hands behind her back and kind of fluttered them while moving in a circle. Great choreography Jane! Then I graduated to the Keli Roberts/ Cher tape. I loved Keli's hair style in that video, but those outfits--not so much.

Look out, story approaching....

It's funny because I went to a FACT fest in Chicago (mid 90's) and I was working out when this really tall, blonde lady comes in late and puts her step near mine. I noticed that she would try to add her own little stylistic moves to the instructor's and exagerated a lot of the power moves, which made me think--she's a little full of herself (secretly, I was trying to compete with her). Then the instructor announced that Keli Roberts was in the class, and yep, the blonde chick was Keli Roberts! Needless to say, I got her autograph, and asked her what the secret was to looking like her. She said (in her great Australian accent) it's 90% what you eat and only 10% how you work out! I then bought her book "Fitness Hollywood" and thought I was definitely approaching stalker levels.

It's a good thing I'm not going to the Cathe conference! My stalker nature might be too much!

I'm old. LOL My first workouts where Charlene Prickett's It Figures that used to be a PBS series (before Lifetime). We had just gotten our first VCR and I actually got to tape them. This was before cable became common.

I also remember "Sweating to the Oldies" after hitting the bars in college. I'd come home at 2:30/3:00 AM and workout. Oddly enough, now I'm up at 4AM to workout.

Firm, Vol. 1, which I alternated with Callanetics for over a year. Boy, did those two videos whip me into shape!

The Firm, Buns of Steel, Jane Fonda, Kathy Smith, Karen Voight were basically what I used in the beginning.

>Jane Fonda. The one where the silly girl sang through the
>intense cardio part.:p

Yep...that was mine too!

Tammy

My first were The Firm Vol. 2 and a kickboxing one called Kickbutt.
The first workout tape that I actually stuck with, though, was Leslie Sansone's 2 mile walk. :)

My first tape was Cosmopolitan's Dance Aerobics and followed by Kathy Smith Step from a Special K box. What a long time ago that was.
Colleen

Actually, it was my mom's, but the Jane Fonda workout. It was originally an album (am I showing how old I am????) and then came out on VHS.

My first purchase was the Firm, Volume I.

Wow. I had a Jane Fonda workout too! One of the girls names was Lauren, who I thought was a riot! It was the 80's, lots of big hair, makeup, high cut bodysuits, high cut bottoms w/ crop top and suspenders, and my oh my the variety of leg warmers and la gear high top sneakers!!! Of course I got this tape when I only THOUGHT of developing an excercise routine!

The video that changed me forever was Karen Voight and Elle McPherson's: Your Personal Best! I was very skeptical about getting this because of Elle, but since she used an instructor I thought I had a fighting chance that it would work and it did!!!

I was HOOKED on KV!! I LOVE her Energy Spring video! It still works for me if I raise the risers on my Step!

Traci

>Mine was a step aerobics video with Cher led by Keli Roberts.
>A lot of "taking it from the top" but that was the order of
>day back in 1992. It did succeed on hooking me on step and
>Keli is a very credible instructor. As I recall Cher wore a
>black leotard version of her famous "cutout" gowns. Gotta love
>Cher!

There's a surprise! Cher -- in a barely there outfit :)

My first workout was a Denise Austin cassette tape with a guide book.

My first video was either Buns of Steel 2000 or the video that came with my Original Club Step, back in 1992. The male instructor has on a tight singlet looking top with spandex shorts. My stepdaughters get a kick out of that!! I pulled out some of the oldies for them to get a few laughs.

In college, we used one of the Jane Fonda videos, with the striped leotard or legwarmers and the belt. Not sure why we did it -- college was in the 90s!

I remember doing a Jane Fonda tape where some guy found himself in her workout class and couldn't get out (he kept trying doors and they were locked?) so he stayed and joined in the workout and was terrible of course but I guess that was supposed to be the comedy relief for her "tough" workout. Very corny. :) (As I recall I gave that workout tape away in a "white elephant" Christmas gift exchange.)

Deedee, They still broadcast that! Can you believe it? I've seen it on quite a few times. It is fun to watch (for a few minutes at least). The outfits are the best!!:+

My first workout tape was Tammilee Webb Buns of Steel and Abs of Steel. I've always wondered if she has butt implants - it sticks out unnaturally.
http://lilypie.com/days/050710/4/23/1/-7/.png[/img][/url]

Due 7-10-05:+

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.