What to start with?

shellnc

Cathlete
I've never done Cathe before, but have done tons of Firm tapes. I have strong upper body. I need to work my lower body slowly because I tend to hurt my knees if I go too heavy too fast. I also have only been doing walking as far as aerobics so I would need to build up to anything real high intensity. Thanks for any advice - I'm wanting to venture into new territory for some new motivation - I'm a little burned out on my other videos.

Hi shellnc, what are your fitness goals? Are you looking for something to help you with strength training? Muscular endurance? Cardiovascular endurance? How much time do you have for working out? I'm asking these questions because Cathe's workouts are very targeted.

If you're thinking of trying step aerobics, try Cathe's old workouts which don't have as tricky a routine as her newer ones. I'd suggest her Classics DVD. I've viewed samples of the workouts in this DVD, and they're definitely good for beginners. There's also Cardio Hits. The choreography gets more intricate at times and the intensity of the workouts are high, but you can always modify these moves by switching back to the basics.

If you have done Firm tapes, try the Pure Strength series. This was one of my first DVD's and still my fave. Cathe's pointers are excellent. Eventually, I added Power Hour so I could also work on my endurance, and the Slow & Heavy series to gain more strength. I also love the Pyramids, which I feel work on both strength and endurance.

For lower body, there's Pure Strength Legs, Pyramid Lower Body and Leaner Legs (which I don't have, but I hear great things about it). Like you, I have sensitive knees so I started with light weights when I was still trying to perfect my form.

If your time is limited, try the CTX series. You get to do cardio for about 45 minutes then work a different upper body part every day for a week. I hear great raves about it. I don't have this DVD (yet) but just might get it once I get to the point where I get bored with my routines. But then again, Cathe never bores me.:) Hope this helps.

Pinky

Pinky -

Thanks for your reply. I'm really going for overall health. Osteoporosis runs in my family so weight bearing exercise is something I really need. I prefer lifting weights over plain cardio, but I sit at a desk all day and really need something for my heart! I'll look into your suggestions.

shellnc

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.