What to eat

What kind of diet do recommend eating. I've read alot about eating "clean" from Oxygen Magazine. Do you subscribe to a very strict way of eating ie: low carb and low fat, no sugar etc. or more balanced?? Do you "allow" some desert?

Hi Connie! I recommend eating a balanced diet which includes varied nutrients. Yes, yes, yes, I allow dessert :9 (perhaps more often than I should at times, ha)

I feel that if you don't have some kind of dessert you deprive yourself too much. Cathe, do you mind saying what kind of desserts you have and how often you have it?

Hi Caitlin! Well I have good desserts and bad desserts. Good desserts would be a low fat treat, bad desserts would be going to Friendly's with the kids and having that YUMMY Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Sundae. I'm really not specific on how often I have dessert. I just go with the day and if an opportunity is there I jump on it or pass it up depending on whether I feel I can make up for the damage later ;-)

Thank you so much, Cathe, for all your hard work and creative workouts. I first ordered Low Max, and I loved it so much that I ordered five more of your DVD's.

My diet is not the best, and I get terrible cravings at night. I try to have a no fat Carvel ice cream after dinner because a smaller serving is also low in calories, but I often fail last at night and binge. Right now, I am in my largest size of jeans, and since June, I put on about thirteen pounds. I would probably look awful if I didn't do cardio six times a week. I will keep on trying to lose weight.

Thanks again.

I'm living a dream because I've figured out how to work in eating ice cream 6 days a week - NOT on my pig-out day, either. I get the 90 calorie per serving kind and eat it after dinner. You just have to make the proper adjustments for the rest of the day. It CAN be done.

Now if I could do the same with donuts holes - I don't think they make zero-fat, zero-sugar donut holes!!!
Just Do It! :)

Cathe,

When you are getting close to filming do you cut back alot and only have then once a week or so? You always look so very cut in the videos I'm thinking you must really be strict prior to filming.

>My diet is not the best, and I get terrible cravings at night.
> I try to have a no fat Carvel ice cream after dinner because
>a smaller serving is also low in calories, but I often fail
>last at night and binge. Right now, I am in my largest size
>of jeans, and since June, I put on about thirteen pounds. I
>would probably look awful if I didn't do cardio six times a
>week. I will keep on trying to lose weight.
>
Caitlin,

I would suggest you cut out the sugar. I think this is why you're having these late night binges (at least, sugar causes me to overeat and to binge). Here's a suggestion for a healthy "ice cream" dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth:

Mix one scoop of whey protein power and mix with one quarter cup of filtered water. Pour into a small freezable container and place in freezer. These are wonderful snacks, satisfies your sweet tooth, and doesn't cause you to binge.

Hope this helps.
Lorrayne

When I lived on the East Coast, I always got a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Sundae at Friendly's. These restaurants aren't out here on the West Coast, so I go to Baskin Robins instead. ;-)

I have fond memories of Baskins Robins a zillion years ago (when they had a little nook in O'Neil's in downtown Akron, DebH!) and you could get a triple scoop cone for like $1.80 - we're talkin' about 1976. I got a Rocky Road triple-scooper one time, and a guy from across the room shouted, "Look at that lady with the ice cream!" It was about two feet tall and it was miraculous how I kept it balanced - and not dripping all over.

Honeybunch, if all you're truly eating are the holes, I can promise they have absolutely no calories. }(

Ha ha! I love your story, Honeybunch. I remember back in the late 70s (perhaps it was 1976 or so), my friend and I would bike to the local stripmall for ice cream. She would pay the $1.80 for her triple scoop cone at Baskin Robins. I would go next door to the drugstore (Thrifty's) and buy a triple scoop of ice cream for 35 cents or so. Much more affordable for a kid's budget! ;-)
Lorrayne

What a smart kid you were! Your mamma raised you well to be a bargain hunter!

And "yuk, yuk" on the donut holes comment! Were that it was true that they are no-cal! My local grocer has them on sale this week and they sure don't LOOK no cal!

She sure did, Honeybunch. I always look for the bargain! :) I guess that's why I'm headed to REI this evening to shop for some nice outdoorsy clothing.
Lorrayne

Hey HB!

I don't remember getting ice cream downtown but I DO remember looking at the Christmas displays in O'neils' window. Oh, I also agree with Mogambo~absolutely NO calories in the donut holes! :7
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Hey HB!

Hey HB,

My grandmother was the chef at the Georgian Room in O'neils way back when. She used to take me back to the kitchen where all the other cooks called her "Mom". To the day she died she always cooked for 50 people, like she was still at work!

Great memories..:7

RE: Hey HB!

One of the fond memories of when I was a tadpole was eating "Little Red Hen" and the "Clown Cone" at the Georgian Room. When O'Neil's and Polsky's closed, downtown Akron was never the same. It's like there was never a reason to go there any more. Now the University of Akron has taken over downtown, and it's a good thing or it would be a ghost town.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.