What to eat post-workout?

KittyMama

Hi everyone,
I would like to hear what you eat post-workout. I understand that I need both protein and carbs afterwards to feed my muscles and I would like to hear some of the things that you eat to accomplish that without undoing all the hard work you just did!
Thank you!
Alexa

Have a protein shake and some rice cakes. I eat one scoop protein shake and 4 or 5 white cheddar rice cakes, yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I'm eating a turkey sandwich on wheat bread right after a Terminator work out...I've done the protein shake thing but that is usually followed up pretty quickly with something of more substance...cottage cheese with fruit is a good protein/carb combo IMO as well! Many many choices! :)

Immediately after a workout, it's important to replenish glycogen stores. Something (liquid or easily digested preferably) with a 4-to-1 ratio of carbs to protein.

And Shelley could be right: the best time to eat simple carbs is right after a tough workout, because your body can use the glucose to replenish those glycogen stores. So if you're having a jones for a candy bar, this would be the least harmful time to eat it.

About an hour after a workout, more protein is good.

Some say that having a snack pre-workout, to make sure that the nutrients required for recovery are already in the system, is also a good idea.

I like to drink a 50%-50% protein/carb drink. I find this gets into my bloodstream the quickest for recovery...
Lorrayne

I prefer to stay with foods in their natural forms. I always keep leftover cooked meats on hand and that is predominately what I eat post workout...a card deck size portion of meat, maybe a handful of nuts like almonds (no salt added) and water. I wait at least an hour before I eat anything else, especially sugar including fruits.

Eggs and prepared beans would also be good sources of protein. On days I don't happen to have any leftovers on hand I will poach two eggs and have that after my workout.

Tofu would be another good choice but since I don't eat that I don't know anything about it. :eek:

I eat anything not nailed down...nothing specific because it depends on my mood:

rice protein berry shake
apple with almond or peanut butter
oatmeal and rice protein
banana and peanut butter
strawberry soymilk smoothie
blueberry soymilk smoothie
pineapple-coconut soymilk smoothie (no alcohol..hehehe)
seitan and Amy's tamale pie

Robin:9

I know Kathryn (who is so good) makes seitan from scratch, but I am super lazy (and my lack of culinary skills is well-known;))......I buy it at Whole Foods in the Tofu/Soy section :) It is packaged a lot like Tofu.

Robin

ETA: I'm not crazy about Tempeh so seitan is a better protein choice for me:)

>I know Kathryn (who is so good) makes seitan from scratch,

Not recently!

I haven't been eating a lot of it recently, but the stuff I have been eating is from an online Macrobiotic company, or some frozen stuff my health food store carries.

Thanks Robin and Kathryn. I haven't checked the health food store so I'll look there this week. We have an outstanding grocery store that has most anything you'd find in a health food store, so I was surprised when they didn't have it.

Michele :)

>Not recently!
>
>I haven't been eating a lot of it recently, but the stuff I
>have been eating is from an online Macrobiotic company, or
>some frozen stuff my health food store carries.

LOL! Shoot, Kathryn...you busted my bubble! I thought you were slaving away ;-) Well, at least I don't have to feel so bad not making it from scratch. Actually, I didn't know it was sold frozen too....I've always bought it in the refrigerator section:).

Robin

Lately I eat half of a grapefruit or some berries soon after my workout and then After my bath I will eat an egg white scramble or omelet or a whey protein shake. If I put the berries in the prtein shake I am done till lunch.

Diane Sue
http://wd.1ww.us

>Thanks Robin and Kathryn. I haven't checked the health food
>store so I'll look there this week. We have an outstanding
>grocery store that has most anything you'd find in a health
>food store, so I was surprised when they didn't have it.
>
>Michele :)

Here's a recipe I like that you might what to try. I swear, I didn't alter it yet so it is safe;) I like it because it has a substancial amount of protein and in low in fact.

Sarina's Pepper Steak

"This simple tasty recipe was contributed by a long-time vegetarian and White Wave customer."

Ingredients:
1 pound White Wave Traditionally Seasoned Seitan, sliced into thin strips
1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 red or green bell peppers, sliced into thin strips
Oil for stir-frying

1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon
1 cup boiling water

Instructions:
Stir-fry the seitan, onion, garlic, and peppers in the oil until the onion is transparent or until the peppers are at the desired consistency.

Dissolve the cornstarch and vegetable bouillon in the boiling water, and remove from heat. Pour the mixture into the pan with the seitan and stir. Serve over couscous, rice, or noodles.

Nutrition Information:
Per Serving: Calories 196, Protein 36 g, Fat 0 g, Carbohydrates 12 g, Calcium 14 mg, Fiber 2 g, Sodium 319 mg.
Serving Size: 3-4 Servings
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes

(You know I would definitely turn the white rice to brown to increase the fiber and nutritional value)

Other great recipes:
http://www.whitewave.com/index.php?id=93

Have fun!
Robin

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.