What to eat at the county fair?

famousohara

Cathlete
Anyone have any thoughts as to what "fair food" would be the closest to healthy and clean as possible? Going after work this evening and I really don't want to blow what's been a clean week.

Thanks for any input!

Mo

If you can go to the fair having had a smaller meal or snack already, that would probably be the easiest way to avoid disaster ;)

If you do want to eat something there, I would have a soft pretzel. Those suckers are pretty big and filling. Not the "ideal" health meal but I think it would qualify as such considering the fare there.

Lastly, if you want it to be a cheat kind of night (which is perfectly fine to do so), just portion control. Have a hot dog and a small ice cream, or something like that. I might even consider this route since I never get to eat this stuff. Just don't overdo so you don't feel crappy aftewards.

Debbie

It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept.
-Calvin & Hobbes

Hi Mo,

I don't think I've ever been to a fair that had anything like "clean food". The closest would be the 4-H agricultural exhibits, like the biggest vegetables, etc, but the kids would probably get mad if you ate those. :D :D

If you want to REALLY be good, I'd eat something healthy before you went, and then you could split some cheat food (funnel cake! funnel cake!) with someone else if the temptation is too strong.

Can you bring your own food? I haven't been to the fair in years, but I remember bringing a small insulated lunch bag with yogurt and a spoon when I went just to hold me over until I got home. You could even bring a protein bar or something if you're allowed to bring in food.

Erica

LOL! I think I shall invent hummus fun food for clean eaters at fairs. All three of us will have a great time. ;-)

Seriously though, I recommend filling up before you go and picking your poison ahead of time so as not to fall too hard.

When I hit the NYS Fair once a year I shamelessly enjoy a giant sangria slushy from the wine tent (NYS has some yummy wines IMHO) and some state fair BBQ chicken (special sauce that we NY people dig). That's my annual fair splurge. Fried dough might be nice too but rarely is it ever cooked right and over the years it just doesn't wow me as much.

I agree with everything said so far, I bet if you walked around you could find something semi-healthy. I haven't been to a fair in years, but I think the vendors are getting a little wiser and more options are available for those of us want something with a bit of nutrition.

Of course, fairs are notorious for having goodies that you can't normally find elsewhere (funnel cakes, etc.) I say life is too short, have fried dough once a year! :)

By the way, our state fair has FRIED SNICKERS (aka "Heartattack on a stick"). Never had one, but pretty much anything you pick would be healthy in comparison!

Our fair is going on right now and I was looking for something halfway healthy to eat and got all excited when I saw on a sign VEGETABLES!! As I got closer , I saw it said FRIED VEGETABLES !
Mushrooms, zucchini and pickles. (PICKLES are vegetables??):eek: :eek:

I ended up getting a non-alcoholic strawberry margarita instead and ate somewhere else !:9

Some of the fairs down south offer boiled peanuts. I love 'em & since peanuts are supposed to be good for you, I figure this must not be too bad... in moderation, of course.;-)

(PICKLES are vegetables??)

Well, they are made from cukes. Man, they fry everything at the fair!!!1

At last count, our state fair had 40 different "fried items on a stick". How ridiculous is that? If you're a cardiac physician in need of a job, come to Wisconsin!

Mo

Omigod, I would eat a hot dog with onions and peppers, nachos with extra cheese, and funnel cake. Then, the next day, I would maybe eat only cereal or something.

There is NO WAY I could eat clean at the fair. Sorry, I'm no help.

I was just at a fair today, 95 degrees, not a tree in site, kids whining for more game money. Fun, fun, fun! I did notice a chicken fajita stand and they were chopping fresh veggies to wrap in them. It looked semi-healthy. I would have loved one, but lost my appetite after witnessing what must have been a child "getting off a ride shortly after lunch" escapade. The carney dude was so nonchalant about it, "Frank, need the hose again". Cracked me up.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.