what time do you work out?

Morning too!

I started working out in the morning because no one was at the student gym that early. Then it just became habit. I like (doesn't that sound sick?) to get up between 4:30 and 5am depending on what I plan to do (go to the gym, stay at home or do both).

I agree with the "tips" everyone else gave. If I haven't already decided what tape to do, I sometimes don't workout.

Speaking of dogs, if you have one and take it for a brisk walk right away it can double as a good warm up.

Jenn C

I did it!

Hi Nancy-
I just had to laugh when I read your message!
happy.gif
I did get up this morning, and it felt so great when I was done, knowing the day was just starting and I was finished with my workout! Now if I can just remember how great I felt when the alarm goes off tomorrow!
happy.gif

Yep, I'm a an early riser too...

...and this a.m. was up before all the other summer sleepy heads and startled the cats! After everyone else left, I even added to my workout by going for a walk. At 8a.m. I could hardly believe I'd been up for more than two hours and exercising most of the time! During the school year I get up at 4:30am, Summer varies but usually by 6a.m.

O.K., how many of you eat at the early-bird hour before exercising? I find it makes me feel ill, so I drink lots of water, and sometimes take a Motrin for my achy knees as I go down to the basement for the workout. Whatever works, I say...

Joanna

EARLY Mornings for me, too

Sounds like Nancy and I are rolling out of bed at almost precisely the same time!! But since I'm halfway around the world, I can't comfort myself with the thought that another VFer is getting up too when I am dragging myself out of bed at 4:20 for my workout--it's about 2:20 the afternoon BEFORE my morning for most of you (depending on your time zone!). Oh well....

Anyway, what works best for me is, above all JUST DO IT. Like Daphne said, the ultimate motivation must come from WITHIN. There are lots of things that can help make it a little easier, but you STILL have to get your arse out of that nice, cozy bed at an ungodly hour an go get SWEATY! And only YOU can make it happen.

Now for my tips (in addition to the tips everyone else already gave, which are all great--go to bed early, pick out tape and set out clothes the night before, etc.)
1) Put your alarm clock ACROSS the room--not on the nightstand next to you--so you have to physically get up to turn it off. And use that annoying BEEP, not the radio, so that you'll jump up more quickly to shut that horrendous noise off. Once you are actually out of the bad, half (well, almost...) the battle is won...
2) Once you're up, drink plenty of water before you begin--it gives you more energy
3) Eat a good dinner the night before. I have to eat slightly later, even though I go to bed earlier, so I won't be famished when I get up in the morning.
4) If you are really hungry in the morning or feel sick to your stomach when you work out, try drinking a glass of OJ before you work out. I find this helps fill me up without being as "heavy" as actual food is before a workout.

I don't eat before my morning workouts, although I used to have to do the OJ thing. Now I guess I've grown accustomed to the routine, and I'm usually not hungry at all and can go on water alone.

Stupid question for AM exercisers

I know...no question is stupid...but anyway, I have waist length hair with layers in the front.. A high maintenance 'do. I would really like to start exercising in the AM, but there's no way I could wash my hair everyday- and even if I did it would take me too long to do anything with it (I normally stick hot curlers in the front layers). I sweat like a PIG when I work out. I have to look presentable for work and in the morning, time is short. I would start at 4:30 AM and leave by 6:45 after exercise, getting ready, making my kids' breakfast and dressing my two younger ones (toddlers). So what's your trick for exercising in the morning and getting ready for work in a jiffy? Told you it was a dumb question- but I need suggestions. thanks

Not a stupid question at all.

Short of cutting your hair short ...

Try wearing a headband (yes, a la Olivia Newton John). It will absorb some of the sweat.

I usually wash my hair every other morning, so on the alternate days, I usually wear my hair back in a pony tail so its "less than fresh" state is less obvious. I also find that if I wash it at night and wear a terrycloth headband, it almost looks freshly washed the next morning.

Even though I skip washing my hair every other day, I'm still rush around like mad in the morning!

Long hair and short time

Exervideolover,

I also have really long hair. It was waist length with no layers....until two weeks ago. I cut off about 5", got a bit of long layers in front.

Anyway, to anwswer your question......I braid my hair at night after I wash it and add mousse. When I workout in the a.m., I get very sweaty.....but my hair doesn't dry all the way in the back from the braid and that helps the sweat not absorb as well. The front is where I have the problem though. When I take out the braid, I spray some PSSSS dry hair shampoo in the front area of my scalp and then blow it with a dryer to get some volume and dry up any left over sweat and dampness from the previous night's washing.
Sweat isn't really "dirty," so don't feel strange about doing this. My mom used to use PSSSS in the 70's when I was a kid. I used to laugh at it. Now I use it too! You should be able to find it at a drug store. It really works!

Heather

And......

I also shave at night too.....that way, all I have to do is clip up my braid after my workout and rinse off in the shower.

Heather

:)

I remember that stuff!!! (PSSS)

I remember that from the 70's. That is actually a good idea! I am mentally preparing for a.m. workouts as I am not bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in the morning. I am off for 3 weeks until mid-July so that will be a good time to ease into it. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.