What size boxing gloves for MMA Boxing?

I got the cute pink Everlast Women's gloves on Amazon and I got the 14 oz. because in one of the reviews, a woman said that she tried them on in a store and the 12 oz. were a little snug and the 14 oz. fit great. I'm 5'1" and have small hands and the 14 oz. are perfect for me! I had assumed that the 12 oz vs 14 oz was just all about the weight of the gloves, but apparently it's about "fit" too?

I don't know if the ones designated as "women's" are cut smaller than the regular ones, though.

Guess I wasn't much help...:(

Take care and good luck with whatever you choose! I love mine and I just love using them with Cathe's heavy bag workout. I still have to figure out how to use the DVD remote with the gloves on.....:)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I'll probably go with the 14 oz. as well. I'm going to go out to Sports Authority during lunch and see if I can try on a pair before I order them from Amazon.com (much cheaper there).

Here's another "dumb" question for you all. Do I need the wraps on under the gloves? I'm eyeing a pair of gel wraps that look like gloves so I wouldn't have to "wrap" my hands but they'd give the same protection.

I'm a total *newbie* to boxing but I'm really looking forward to giving the MMA Boxing bag workout a try! :)

Kathy G

P.S. LOL about the remote....I'll probably have to press play before I put the gloves on too! :D

Hi Kathy

I did this workout this morning - so much fun! I have a few pairs of gloves and used the 14 oz. today. I would go with what fits you best. Cathe mentions the weight of the gloves in the video when doing squats with arm pull-backs. The guys were wearing gloves with a little more weight than the girls gloves, adding to the intensity of the movement.

I use a 100-lb. heavy bag and do not need any wraps under the gloves. My hands are fine without them.

Definitely push play before putting on your gloves!

Enjoy!

Chris

Thanks Chris! I tried on a pair of 12 oz. and 14 oz. gloves at Sports Authority and think I'll go with the 14 oz. in pink. :D Great to hear that you don't need wraps....I think I'll give it a try without them and see how it feels.

I can't wait to fill up my Wavemaster, get my gloves, and try out the MMA Boxing heavy bag workout!

Kathy G

Here's another "dumb" question for you all. Do I need the wraps on under the gloves? I'm eyeing a pair of gel wraps that look like gloves so I wouldn't have to "wrap" my hands but they'd give the same protection.

It's not a dumb question! It depends how hard you're punching the bag (if you're using one). Handwraps are used to protect the delicate bones in your hands so you don't get injured when they make contact w/ the bag (or a person!). I don't have a bag at my house so I don't use them, but I do use the gloves.

HTH!!

I have done the heavy bag workout twice this weekend...without gloves!! I put my new Wavemaster to the test, and it is so much fun. I wish the workout was longer, but I guess you can always replay, or just do your own thing. I will be getting gloves within the week, but I think you can and will be okay without wraps or gloves for that matter. I did use my weight lifting gloves to protect my knuckles, and I am sure a little weight on the hands would be beneficial. Just my 2 cents....:)
~Renee

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.