What podcasts do you listen to?

susanzabo

Cathlete
Hi,

Believe it or not I am finally entering the world of podcasts. Previously I listened to audio books but in the last couple of weeks I have been listening to podcasts. The amount of content is completely overwhelming.

What podcasts do you regularly listen to? Even though I am not following a paleo diet, I found "the paleo solution" interesting. I am drawn to health, fitness, and nutrition but want to hear all your recommendations. Thanks.

Susan

My favorite subject!

Fitness:

Ask Leigh: common sense advice for exceptional bodies

Inside Out Weight loss: Aligning Mind Body and Spirit (the older episodes are available on Renee's website. The first 18 are the most important.)

Iron Brandon: Triathlon to Running and Everything

The Jillian Michaels Show (take with a dose of salt.)

The Livin La Vida Low Carb Show (Jimmy is somewhat dogmatic, so you may not care for that one.)

Revolution Health Radio with Chris Kresser - very informative, technical.

Persiflagers Infectious Disease Puscast - a review of the infectious disease literature, very entertaining. Sciency.

Marathon Training Academy- fun!!!:D

Phedippidations - rambling diatribes.

The Two Gomers- start from the beginning. They are hilarious geeky guys that decide to run a 1/2 marathon, then a full, and then another full marathon. Lots of dramatic stuff happens. They like to talk about their lives, their training, and stuff that they like (Star Trek, music, etc.)

Running Stupid - My favorite back of the pack ultra marathoner.

I recently found the wonders of the podcast, too. Which is weird, because I don't like talk radio.

The BDB pohdcast - about the Black Dagger Brotherhood books, not been a recent one, though. New book in March, so maybe soon.

You - The Owner's Manual/Dr. Oz. - seems it started out as You and then became Dr. Oz.

The Thinking Atheist.

I've listened here and there to a couple more, but those are the ones I've subscribed to. Always up for something new and interesting. Fun thread!

Nan

I work as a part-time cleaner, so I'm the queen of Podcasts. My favorites are:

In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg (awesome bios and history)
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me (Never miss it!)
The Moth (Story telling shorts by all walks)
Stuff You Should Know
This American Life
Oxford Biographies
WTF with Marc Maron (Interviews with comedians and how they got started, sometimes [most times]very vulgar)

Here's the Thing hosted by Alec Baldwin
Learn Out Loud Biographies

Have fun, there's so many it's mind boggeling. Don't forget to check out the "iTunes U" tab right next to podcasts tab. The subjects to learn from are endless.

: ) Tina

I bought my IPod for taking my music to the fitness classes I teach but I use it all the time during my 60 minute (one way) commute to work

My favs:
Stuff you should know: Josh and Clark are fun, informative and I have listened to all episodes
Stuff you missed in history class:
This American Life:
The Story - Love it!! I miss the radio show so I catch up with the podcasts
Grammer Girl: Fun stuff- I love this podcast!! my daughter and 7 year old granddaughter are HUGE fans as well
Dave Ramsey's Entreleadership: Great insights in management

I am going to check out the suggestions in this very fun thread!

MelanieC said:
NPR Wait Wait Don't Tell Me - its hilarious.

Thanks so much for sharing this! I've only ever heard it once or twice on the radio and laughed my head off. It never dawned on me to search for it on line...I'm so old fashioned!

I like Paleo soltuions, try also Everyday Paleo.
I listen to a lot of crafting podcasts which I won't list here.

But I also listen to Freakonomics
Jillian M.
Marathon Training Academy
Spilled Milk
The Sporkful
Two Gomers
Radiolab
This American Life
99% Invisible

Thanks everyone, so many great podcasts... so little time. I am overwhelmed by all of the great stuff out there, and very disappointed that I have been missing out until now. I don't have much time for Podcasts, just my commute to work 2 days per week, about 4 hours total.

Also, it should be noted I don't own an iPod or Apple anything (GASP!!!!) so I am trying to figure this out on my android phone. I am trying out the Doggcatcher app, anyone use that? My hubby works for Motorola, so there is no iPhone in my future....

Susan

Thanks for this thread! I listen to podcasts all the time but haven't found many that I love. Sounds like there are several that are poplular with many people that I haven't tried yet.

I LOVE The Moth which is true stories told to a live audience and recorded. They are usually very entertaining.

I also listen to Clark Howard who gives consumer advice (never get the warrenty on electronics, talks about the scams that are currently happening, tells you how to save money on your cell phone, etc).

I listen to Dr. Joy Brown who gives personal advice (I don't really love this one, but it's entertaining enough)

Today I listened to This American Life, which sure did help me pass the time during my 1 hour commute however I don't think it was the most interesting topic, but I guess once the new one airs, the old one gets wiped out?!?? Not up on this technology. Some of the older ones sound more interesting, but I think I have to buy them. Not sure I will do that when there is so much great stuff for free.

On the way home I listened to a few episodes of The Moth, "Jenny Allen: I Can'tGet It Out of my Mind" had me laughing hysterically until the end. When the realization hit I could be in her shoes in a few years (I have 2 daughters ages 7 and 9) and I can honestly say I won't handle it as well as she did! :eek:

Susan

Yes, This American Life is one where you have to download it weekly otherwise you can listen to it on the website or pay for the podcast to download - at least that is what I have found.

I listen to regularly:

This American Life
NPR: Wait, wait don't tell me
The Moth
Filmspotting
Stuff You Should Know
Science Friday
The Classic Tales podcast

NPR Wait Wait Don't Tell Me - its hilarious.

LOVE that show - I time my walks on the weekends to catch it on my local NPR station - now I have to go get the podcasts for this! Glad I read this :)

I do download podcasts for the Car Guys and Mike McGrath and his garden show - I like those, too!

For those that like The Moth podcast, two that really stand out are the one by Tom Bodett (which had me in tears) and one by Simon Doonan: The First Elf, which was the funniest Moth story ever!

Learn French with Daily Podcasts
Learn Spanish Survival Guide
The Jillian Michaels Show
most of the NPR podcasts...news, pop culture, weekend edition, most emailed stories of the week...

Great Little Thread

I too recently got into podcasts this past November, since my new car has a USB port. I bought an iPod shuffle ($49) and load it with just podcasts. I mostly listen to Reach MD podcasts (Lipid Luminations, Heart Matters, etc), but there are many new interesting podcasts listed here I'll want to check out.:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.