What kind of weighted vest do you have?

nclncl

Cathlete
I'm thinking I'm going to need one. I would be Cathe's if I didn't want the flexibility of increasing above a 10 lb vest. I'm thinking I at least want to have 20lb capability or more. I can only lift about a 35 lb barbell over my head. Cost is an issue, too....I looked at Ironman Cool Vest, but it is 172.00!!! That is too steep for me!

I have two Ironwear vests: the Cool Vest (I think that's what you're referring to in your post?) and a black one that looks like a swat-team vest. The swat-team vest (I forget the name of it!) can be combined with an 'undervest' I bought from them as well, for a total of up to 40# if I like (though I don't think I'd ever go that high: after a certain weight, it seems like it would be awkward to manipulate and perhaps cause some problems, IMO).

I bought all of them during various sales, and also have their ankle/waist weights. The flex weights fit in all of them.

Hi Kathryn. The Cool Vest looks awesome, but that is the one I was talking about that was so expensive....their website says 172.00....do you know anywhere they have them cheaper?

Thanks Carole....how's the fit on the walmart gold gyms one....I like the pricetag on that one much better. I usually wear a medium shirt in, about a 10, I'd say....is it adjustable enough to count for different sized people or is that what you mean by bulky? It looks there is only one size....

I generally wear a small to medium t-shirt size. I have heard others say this vest was a bit bulky but it feels fine to me. I just don't have the money to pay for a high priced vest and I really love the versatility of this one being adjustable...:)

Cathe is coming out with a new adjustable vest.

New Fitness by Cathe Products
Published on 11 August 2009 by CatheDotCom in Announcements, Blog, Fitness Accessories, Fitness by Cathe, Push-Pull Tower

Our Fitness by Cathe products are now available online and in over 1000 stores in the USA. Thanks to you we have exceeded our sales goals this year in spite of a very bad economy and are looking forward to an even better year in 2010.
During the 2009 Cathe Road Trip we announced several new products that will be added to the FBC product line in just a few more months (make sure to watch the video from the road trip).

The new products we’re introducing this year include:
The STS Turbo Tower - This light weight multipurpose rack can be used for pull ups, bench presses, pushups and stretching. This is the same tower you see us use in our STS workout DVDs and can really add a new dimension to your home workouts.

12 - 20 lb Adjustable Weighted Max Vest - We’ve listened to your feedback and have improved our 10 lb weighted vest. Our new vest is adjustable in 1 lb increments from 12-20 lbs giving you up to double the weight of our current vest.

Hi Kathryn. The Cool Vest looks awesome, but that is the one I was talking about that was so expensive....their website says 172.00....do you know anywhere they have them cheaper?
Nope. As I said, I got mine for less when they were having a sale. Try doing a websearch for "ironwear cool vest" possibly with the word "sale" added.

Try allegromedical.com. They run specials including additional percentages off and sometimes free shipping. I bought two to layer for the price of one back in last winter.

weighted vest

I have a Mir 40# vest, short waisted so it doesn't interfere when I bend down for squats. It is freaking heavy, but I can now squat what I should be (probably not what I could be) safely. I got it from Amazon. It was expensive but worth it.

Barb,

I have been looking at the Mir 50# on Amazon. Thanks for the info/review. I think I will finally get it now.

Chris

The Mir looks interesting, too....is it bulky? How hard to remove those sandbags and how difficult to get it over your head fully loaded?

Instead of a weighted vest, I got a really cheap backpack and I put barbell weights in it. I got this suggestion from someone here on the forums awhile back. It works great and was inexpensive!

Denise, that's a fabulous idea. How does it go as far as distribution...I've a very sensitive back in terms of getting spasms and knots. :)

Also, for anyone else who has done STS....how much weight do I need in a weighted vest...how much capacity? I could already squat with a 40 lb barbell but feel unsafe lifting it over my head. Is a 20 lb vest enough? Do I need 40 lb capacity? I am also looking to use this for walking and getting into shape for backpacking. Valerie Bertinelli made a comment that a 130 lb woman burns less calories than a 150 lb woman and the vest helps with that. I like that...didn't think about it before!

Denise, that's a fabulous idea. How does it go as far as distribution...I've a very sensitive back in terms of getting spasms and knots. :)
If you go the backpack route, I'd be sure to get a backpack that has a waist belt, which helps distribute the weight better.

WARNING ABOUT ALLEGROMEDICAL: I just saw this thread at VF about several people having bad experiences with Allegro Medical http://videofitness.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1404357#post1404357

Thanks for the heads up on allegro medical...I think I'll spare myself the trouble...the vests also now look cheaper on the ironwear site.

Mir 40# vest

The vest is heavy, for sure. I have it fully loaded and I only need it for squats. It's ok to throw over my head and it secures really good with velcro straps. The weights are like bars, not sand bags. There's a lot of 'em so you can put any variety of weight you want on it and in very small increments, too. They fit 2 bars to a pocket and there's several pockets in the upper and lower sections on the front and back of it.

I ordered the ** NEW! ** Women’s Vest™ from Ironwear

Thanks for the heads up on allegro medical...I think I'll spare myself the trouble...the vests also now look cheaper on the ironwear site.

I just ordered the following vest from Ironwear Fitness. I read about it on another forum. It is a weighted vest specifically made for women. They are currently sold out but are starting production in the next few weeks. The guy let me pre-pay so I could have mine shipped as soon as they came in. It is a little pricey but I love the fact that is made for a woman's body.

Check it out...

http://store.ironwearfitness.com/woveaheco1to.html

I just ordered the following vest from Ironwear Fitness. I read about it on another forum. It is a weighted vest specifically made for women. They are currently sold out but are starting production in the next few weeks. The guy let me pre-pay so I could have mine shipped as soon as they came in. It is a little pricey but I love the fact that is made for a woman's body.

Check it out...

http://store.ironwearfitness.com/woveaheco1to.html
Very nice!
If I didn't already have all the Ironwear vests I need, I'd get this one!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.