What kind of bike for Cycle Max?

MariaLurdes

Cathlete
Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered, but I searched the forums and didn't find any relevant information. I don't own a spinning bike at the moment, but when I research them I get totally overwhelmed and I have no idea what to buy. Are there a few models that are generally recommended here for Cycle Max? Or do some of you use a bike that you like and would recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Lurdes

Hi Lurdes,

No need to apologize for asking. I spin 6 days a week and have had two spin bikes. My first was a ProForm 290 SPX Indoor Cycle Trainer and is currently going for $285 dollars. It was a decent bike for occasional use but it made alot of noise.

I now have a Lemond RevMaster Pro which I love. It is quiet and to me it feels very comfortable. I selected this bike so that my husband can use it as well. It is solid and has a max. capacity of 350 lbs and the for/aft adjustment on the handlebars. This bike currently costs around $1200. I have also tried Star Trec and Schwinn bikes that were very nice. I was very interested in a Keiser M3 but at the time of my purchase they didn't have the for/aft adjustment on the handlebars (they do now with the M3+).

My most reliable information came from Jeff Wimmer at StudioCycles.com. I read his reviews and contacted him with questions. He immediately got back to me with additional information. He has tried so many and can give you recommendations.

It is a big purchase so maybe think about how much you want to spend first and how much you will use it. They are heavy and take up a good amount of space too. You should also try the bike you will purchase if possible. I called sales reps. if I could not find them in a local store.

Good luck with your purchase!

Thanks Cab and Elsie! The thing is, I don't think I'm going to want to spin all that often. I mainly run for cardio, but I thought it might be nice to have the spinning option for those cold, dark mornings (I run outside) or when my plantar fasciitis acts up (just got over a bout of it!). I'm therefore kind of reluctant to spend too much money. It's funny that you mention the ProForm 290, because I've been looking into it on Amazon. The problem you mention comes up again and again in the reviews - it's noisy. Then the Schwinn 120 caught my eye - similar price, but it seems quieter. Do you know anything about this model?

Thanks again!
Lurdes

Hi Lurdes,

I haven't tried the Schwinn 120 but this is an upright bike, no? The difference from a spin bike might be that the spin bikes have a flywheel and are light/fast and the posture would be different. Also, the resistance would be electronic and might be difficult to modify while standing.

Here is the link to another thread where a couple of folks bought a Gold's Gym bike.

http://cathe.com/forum/f115/cycle-max-question-286270/

Chris

Oh my gosh - I know so little I was actually considering buying the wrong type of bike! Thanks for setting me straight and pointing me to that Gold's Gym bike - it looks very promising!

Lurdes

Another vote for Jeff Wimmer as well: I just bought the Schwinn AC Perfomance from him a few months ago. One thing about this bike, which I still love: since it's chain-driven as opposed to belt-driven, it's noisier than I would like. But it's such a great bike overall I don't mind the noise as much. So if you want as quiet of a ride as possible, I recommend Star Trac.

I have a V Series bike from Vision Fitness. It it belt driven and extremely quiet. Now that I got the right shoes and Cycle Max, I am seeing better results!

Lisa

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to give me advice! I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet, but I definitely will be spending some quality time on that studio cycles website. Thanks again!

Lurdes

Purchased the Proform not too long ago because I wanted to keep my investment small. It does have some noise but not too loud. Sure, the Lemmond RevMaster is much quieter. I purchased mine from Dunhams on sale for about 250.

Nordic Trak Spin Bike

FWIW.... I'm very happy w/my Nordic Trak. I paid @ $500 for it brand new. Shipping was free. Thankfully, my hubby put it together for me, b/c I could never have even carried inside my house, it's THAT heavy!!! :eek: LOL

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.