What KB size to start with?

spyrosmom

Cathlete
Feelin' the kettlebell love around here! What size to start with?

I was at Target today and they had 2.5,7,10, and 25 lb on the shelf, and tags but blank spaces for the 20 and 15 lbs.

2.5 and 7 seem way light, and 10 seems light compared to what I normally lift. But I picked up the 25 and it seems heavy for motions I'm not accustomed to.

Maybe 15? Where did you all start? What do you use the most?

Thanks,

Nan

Yikes...it looks like the two most popular sizes were sold out when you shopped! Once you have the form down I think the 15 and 20 will be of great use to you...but I would start even a weight class lower to nail the new moves...especially windmills and stand ups (where the weight will be resting on the back of your forearm for considerable time) will a feel a little off to you in the beginning.
If you shop elsewhere just be prepared to convert from kg's into pounds depending on the brand...and many come in inbetween sizes!
Hope you love kettlebell swings as much as I do....great exercise indeed!

TOYS

Hi,

I have one 12 lber.
Two 15 lbers and a 25 lber. You'll tend to move up in them fast though so don't waste money on smaller kbs... the 12 is fine for learning something at first but it would hardly get used after 3 workouts.

I thought 25 lbs was heavy but now need a 35 lber. I'm looking into investing into the KB from AOS where you can attach a buddy and eventually a bulldog leash.

If you are just starting out check out Minute of Strength on Youtube for kettlebell swings. Or AOS website under minute of strength, he teaches exercise progressions for most of the moves. He also has something he calls the silent swing where he doesn't go for the ballistic swing which actually feels better. His Turkish Get Up he breaks down nicely.

For Snatches Steve Cotter on You tube shows an awesome breakdown for it.

Get wrist guards! And KB that are recommended...so you don't tear up your hands...check out Lauren Brook's website for the KB recommendations.

Have fun!

Last edited:
I started with an 8kg (17.6#) and 12kg (26.4#). IMHO anything lighter than 15 pounds is too light for swings. I took private lessons and the instructor started me out with an 8kg bell. I did purchase an 8# bell for turkish get ups but you could use a db since you may grow out of that one quickly.

Have fun!

Just finished up a session with a very fit 35 yr old....she easily could handle the swings with 25lbs...but needed lower than 15's for one arm para press; alternating renegade row from a plank; bottoms-up clean from the hang position; and for the windmill with kettlebell in hang position.

She is almost there for moving up a weight class for the alternating row...the hang position is the real challenge for the windmill and bottoms-up as it requires great stabilization of the wrist...tough but well worth the efforts!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.