What is wrong with me?????

I can not stick to a diet, or a rotation for longer than 3 weeks. I get so sick of my tapes, I get sick of the same food, I just get mad because I feel no different. I have an extra 10 lbs., and I really need it to be gone. I have struggled for the last year and a half. I hate diets, I just need to concentrate on eating the best for me. I just installed Life Form, and I am going to try to keep track of my calories for the next 3 weeks. I need it to be simple, otherwise, I get too frustrated, and quit. Fitday and me do not get along. For the 12 week Fitness Challenge, I have figured out a rotation that changes often. Maybe I can stick with it. So, tomorrow I am going to start out with 3 weeks of S&H, mixed in with steady state cardio. I have a treadmill, and some tapes. Then I will do 3 weeks of PS, and MIS, with interval cardio. Then I will do 3 weeks of LL, CTX UB, and a PHour, with kickboxing. Then I will do one week of CTX, hitting each bodypart twice. So, I will add in one extra UB part, 5 days. That sounds like MAYBE I can make it work. I have the fitness mind, and the sleaker look in my mind, now, if I can just make it work without getting frustrated.
Lori

There's nothing wrong with you! It is very frustrating when you don't think you are seeing results. But check out this website, which explains we really do change from the inside out:

www.hussman.org/fitness/#inside

It has taken me almost three months to lose 12 lbs., so don't give up after only three weeks. What I did that was most helpful was write down everything I ate. I eat three meals plus snacks, keeping to less than 1300 calories a day (that's actually quite a bit of food, for me anyway). Someone mentioned a website in another post where you could figure out your resting caloric needs, and then go from there to determine how many calories you need for weight loss.

For exercise, it sounds like you are doing great (more than I"m doing, actually). I do an upper/lower split 1-2 times a week, and intervals three times. If you are sick of your tapes, maybe you should buy more!

Anyway, I heard a good line from Dr. Phil the other day (love that man!): It's not will power, it's want power. :)

Rose

Rose-
Love that line. I can't find Dr. Phil in my local listings? What time is he on and what's the name of his show? Thanks!

I'm not Rose, but Dr. Phil is my all time fav self help guy! In my city, Dr. Phil is on right before Oprah. I'm not sure of the station, but I know he's on the same network as her everywhere. The name of his show is Dr. Phil. Did this help at all?:-hmmm
I'm feelin kinda brain dead today.:)

Sherry

I found it. He's on at 3:00 p.m. during the week here. I guess to watch it you have to tape it right?

Nothing is wrong with you!! I know a lot of people use defined rotations of tapes but I can't lock myself in that way. The only "rotation" I do is of S&H that I fit in for 3 weeks. I pick out a cardio tape depending on how my body feels. I workout right after work & on a busy weekday I'm just not prepared to do IMAX. I'll save it for the weekend! I choose which tape I'm going to do on my commute home. For me, at least, to feel that I HAVE to do a specific tape on a specific day would be too confining, but that's just me. As for the diet, I just try to eat moderately & do not follow a special plan. I've been on every "planned" diet & just cannot handle the severe (IMHO)restrictions. I have just broken my latest plateau after six weeks at the same weight. I've increased my muscle training significantly so I know that is at least a part of it since my clothes fit better even though the weight hasn't changed. I'm not hung up on the scale but my dr. is! I also think that the closer you are to your "ideal" that the tougher it is to lose, but I've got nothing but my own experience to go by. Sorry this is so long but I can identify with not wanting to stick to a rotation & being stuck on a plateau so long it makes you want to crash on the couch & eat bon bons!:)

Leslie

Hey Lori! That's right get it out girl! There's nothing wrong with you! Venting is a good way to get back on track! You have the discipline of working out and you are also aware of what your not doing and should be doing! You just need to be more motivated! That's where the gang comes in! We're here for you! Here's a few things to keep in mind about the hundreds of ways working out, eating well and taking care of yourself bring you real, substantial benefits like -

Feeling good because you look good… feeling more sexually alive… stopping obsession about your weight or feeling fat… being youthful for as long as you live…
Developing a strong self-image… stopping the roller coaster of emotional highs and lows… reducing stress…
Putting more meaning into your life… having an outlet for your playful spirit… making more friends who share your (new) energy… blowing off steam…
Becoming assertive… sharpening your competitive edge… evening out your relationship highs and lows… taking charge of your life…
Managing your weight for safe and permanent weight loss… greatly reducing your risk of heart disease and certain cancers… strengthening your bones and back…
Living life more fully… increasing your ability to "roll with life's punches"… getting rid of the blues… and transforming yourself into a happier, more relaxed person…
Take care and Take control!Your friend in fitness~~Francine

Francine that was such a motivating post! I'm printing that one out!

I'm another one who can't stand pre-planned rotations, except for S&H, which I do in 1-week (one go-round) increments. I have a log I made up where I check off cardio, abs, upper body (divided into all 5 sections: back, chest, bi, tri, shoulders), lower body, and abs.

I try to check off cardio 3 times, abs 3 times, and the whole body strength at least once, per week... sometimes I do the upper body twice but at least I keep track and I know what I have done. Sometimes for example I want to just double up on shoulders. I can keep track of it well this way. My needs seem to change from week to week.

Anyway I can count for lower body almost anything that works the lower body. IMax counts as cardio.

If preplanned rotations make you feel trapped, as they do to me, this type of "freedom rotation method" may be something you'd like to use.
-Connie

Francine-
Great post! Thank you for sharing your motivations with us!! I think I'll hang up your post on my wall over my weight stand.... Well said!
-Nancy

Lori..

I feel the same way almost all the time. I hate sticking to rotations, can't keep a diet very long. I know it is very frustrating. However, I do have much more self control than some of my peers. I guess that is the up side.

I have been working with weights for a year now, 2-3 times per week. I have pics that I took when I was not working out at all, pics when I was just running/hiking and pics from running/hiking (a little less) + weights (a la Cathe). I SWEAR you cannot tell any difference except for my posture!! I mean, I don't even look more muscular!!! It is just so deppressing. Even if your diet was not 100% clean, you would think you would atleast see something. And my weight is 3 pounds heavier but I have much less of a pooch on my belly. So, I guess I have to conclude that changes have happened inside, but I don't think they are ever going to come to the outside.

Today, I am just like you..planning the rotation that is really going to "make a difference". In the meantime, just try to concentrate on the positive changes happening inside. Also, I am going to start training for a 10K for a little extra non-aesthetic motivation.

Good Luck and know you are not alone!!!

Janice

I can really notice a difference in my UB. My shoulders, and chest, I can see it. I do have ripples in my abs, their just is also about an inch of FAT covering them. I eat pretty decent for 3 weeks, and then I get sick of it, and don't really watch my diet for a couple of days, and then I start over. So, my weight never changes. The thing I don't understand is when I eat bad, for the most part, 50% of the day is bad, and 50% is good. I just think I look worse than I really should. If I could learn portion control, I would be ALOT better off!!!!
Lori S.

I don't have pictures, but i can tell that nothing has changed because I wear the same clothes still. I ask people and they tell me 'Oh, you are looking slimmer', but honestly they wouldn't noticed at all if I didn't ask.

I haven't really changed my diet and that's maybe the problem, but my God! a diet is just so hard to stick to, for instance, we are in the winter now and I want hot foods not salads, so do I have to eat salads for lunch when I don't want to?

I am chinese and most of these diets are not compatible with how I was brought up to eat. It's just too hard.

Yen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.